My new flash hiders

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

mnotlyon

My new flash hiders

Post by mnotlyon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm new here to ZS, but I've read the rules before posting, so hopefully you'll indulge this little bit of spam.

I'm building some AR flash hiders with a zombie theme. I think you'll find them to be unique. I've got a website started, but it's pretty poor at this point. I'll get it fixed up in the months to come. It can be found at http://www.flashstopper.com

I've got some ideas for other designs as well. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear some feedback.

eeb

Re: My new flash hiders

Post by eeb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Looks interesting. Got the site bookmarked, looking forward to updates. :)

ETA
I'd like to see some cartoonish oversized muzzlebrake similar to a Degroate or Keepshooting flash enhancer (but bigger!) or a large Miculek style compensator,like 1.5 or 2 inch dia. Obviously,you'll have to steer clear of any patent or copyright infringement, I'm just looking for a visual approximation.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm

How about a sneak peak of the new ones I'm working on?
This is just the 2nd prototype, so don't pick it apart too bad.

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

mnotlyon wrote:How about a sneak peak of the new ones I'm working on?

That'll look nice on a pistol or SBR, flames shooting out with every round.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't think gaffing off the rules, and stating that you realize you're doing it, is a good way to start off here.

Unless this is an effective muzzle device, I don't think this is the right audience for you. The work looks like good quality, and they are different, but most folks here choose function over aesthetics. Aluminum probably isn't the best material for a muzzle device either.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:21 pm

We take our zombies serious

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Nice looking, interesting designs.

How much liability insurance do you carry for your business?
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 am

Assault Life wrote:I don't think gaffing off the rules, and stating that you realize you're doing it, is a good way to start off here.

Unless this is an effective muzzle device, I don't think this is the right audience for you. The work looks like good quality, and they are different, but most folks here choose function over aesthetics. Aluminum probably isn't the best material for a muzzle device either.
The rules state that it's ok to mention your product as long as you're not posting the same thing in multiple places (which I didn't). Is this not proper behavior?

It is a very effective muzzle device if your goal is to hide flash, and look cool doing it. If you're not concerned about looks, there are certainly less expensive more robust versions out there that do a very good job.

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am

eeb wrote:

While this one doesn't hide flash as good as the zombie style, it is still pretty effective. You'd be surprised how little "fire" comes out of my fire breathing dragon.

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 am

Phoenix David wrote:Nice looking, interesting designs.

I have enough insurance to make sure I don't lose my house, or my business. Hopefully I don't have enough insurance to make myself a good target. :wink:

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 am

mnotlyon wrote:
eeb wrote:

While this one doesn't hide flash as good as the zombie style, it is still pretty effective. You'd be surprised how little "fire" comes out of my fire breathing dragon.
Ah, cool. I figured with a 7.5" barrel and "good" Wolf ammo, I could prolly get a nice pyro show;)

Ya ever think about making an aluminum AR pistol grip? Hogue makes one, but their finger grooves don't agree with my tiny hands. I was thinking about something like an A1 style grip or one of the simplified aftermarket units, possibly some surface texture, but no deep finger grooves. I don't know how quick roi would be, or if there's enough demand, I just see that there is a version that doesn't work for me, might as well propose a universal version.

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 pm

eeb wrote:
mnotlyon wrote:
eeb wrote:

Ah, cool. I figured with a 7.5" barrel and "good" Wolf ammo, I could prolly get a nice pyro show;)

Ya ever think about making an aluminum AR pistol grip? Hogue makes one, but their finger grooves don't agree with my tiny hands. I was thinking about something like an A1 style grip or one of the simplified aftermarket units, possibly some surface texture, but no deep finger grooves. I don't know how quick roi would be, or if there's enough demand, I just see that there is a version that doesn't work for me, might as well propose a universal version.
I never thought about a pistol grip. Ya see, it's really hard for us little guys to compete with the big boys on common parts. They have much better marketing, and production advantages.

However, I do have an interesting trigger group floating around in the back of my head. It would make your gun act like a bump fire stock. I spoke to the ATF, and they thought it should be legal. Of course they wouldn't guarantee that it was legal until they saw a working version.

What should I work on next, the "bump fire trigger" or a third style flash hider shaped like a skull?

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah,with the plethora of grips and other basic parts out there it'd be difficult to be competitive on a part that doesn't usually garner a lot of attention. Just figured I'd toss it out there.

That FCG sounds interesting if you can make it reliable, legal, and cost effective. That'd be the way I'd lean, of course it's not my butt on the line. ;)

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:53 pm

mnotlyon wrote:

However, I do have an interesting trigger group floating around in the back of my head. It would make your gun act like a bump fire stock. I spoke to the ATF, and they thought it should be legal. Of course they wouldn't guarantee that it was legal until they saw a working version.
Get that in writing.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm

xd dude wrote:
mnotlyon wrote:

Get that in writing.
X2. And get a firearms savvy lawyer involved. I imagine you've already done that, just hadda say it.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm

mnotlyon wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:Nice looking, interesting designs.

I have enough insurance to make sure I don't lose my house, or my business. Hopefully I don't have enough insurance to make myself a good target. :wink:
Might want to look into like a LLC or somthing like that, you always want to be careful when you make firearm parts
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Hey, will those things clear 9mm?

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:46 pm

eeb wrote:Hey, will those things clear 9mm?
Nope, but I did make one for my Glock 20. :)

I'll post some pictures when I get it painted.

Other calibers will be in the works soon.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:00 pm

eeb wrote:Ah, cool. I figured with a 7.5" barrel and "good" Wolf ammo, I could prolly get a nice pyro show;)
Federal XM193 is by far the most consistent, flashy-as-shit commercial ammo. Wolf, like everything they do, is inconsistent with how much flash is shooting out.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Do you have any photos of one of the flash hiders with a significant (2,000 rounds or more) round count through them? I gotta feeling that aluminum is gonna get carved up pretty good by gas.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Haji wrote:Do you have any photos of one of the flash hiders with a significant (2,000 rounds or more) round count through them? I gotta feeling that aluminum is gonna get carved up pretty good by gas.
The most I've shot through one is about 500 rounds. No visible signs of damage.

mnotlyon

Post by mnotlyon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Haji wrote:Do you have any photos of one of the flash hiders with a significant (2,000 rounds or more) round count through them? I gotta feeling that aluminum is gonna get carved up pretty good by gas.
I still haven't run 2000 rounds through a flash hider yet. However, we have run 496 rounds through one at full auto. We used 20 round magazines, and changed them as quickly as we could until the gun failed. The barrel reached 900 degrees, and the flash hider made it to 700. As you can see, we did not "carve up" the flash hider with the hot gasses. It did however get hot enough that the 3 posts on the inside melted and bent away from the bore.
The discoloration that you see is from powder residue. I did not clean it before taking the picture.
The gas block and the barrel on the gun are both completely ruined. While the flash hider isn't as pretty as it started, it still functions.

My conclusion is that if you want to run 500 rounds through your gun at full auto, you may want a more robust flash hider (and barrel and gas system).

rjm

Post by rjm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Aluminum won't last long, especially for rapid fire. They look really cool, but until I see a reliable round count, effectiveness test for flash suppression, I have to wait until someone does a torture test; plus I would need them to be compatible with my Gemtech's.
I say torture test because the before and after photos make the after model look like it's about to loose the internal tongs and fail dramatically. When I see flowering like that, I get nervous.
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”