BullOnParade's Range (and Bailout) Bag - Update: 12/17/15

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BullOnParade's Range (and Bailout) Bag - Update: 12/17/15

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:46 pm

I bought myself a new Range Bag last weekend, as my old bag was too small for my longer days at the range. The bag I decided to buy is a 5.11 Wingman patrol bag, designed to carry everything required for an officer on a typical day of duty. I'm a fan of 5.11 gear, having most of my experience with their (superb) MOLLE pouches, I figured spending a little extra on a range bag won't hurt.

One of the things I wanted to add to my range bag, was a Blow Out Kit (+) - everything you'd expect in a blowout kit, plus a few things to save a range day from going downhill quick (OTC meds, bandaids, moleskin, etc). This first aid kit is not for long term care, it is either to make me comfortable enough to not want to pack up early, or keep someone alive in the event of a GSW until EMS arrives. This was also a reason to choose the Wingman for this bag; the right side panel features a 5"x4" panel of loop Velcro, allowing for easy attachment of a rip away panel for a FAK, which is what I've done with a 5.11 6.6 med pouch and a maxpedition tear away panel. I've wrapped the handle of the tear away panel with some red paracord. This is not the FAK I will keep here full time, I am currently hunting for the best pouch to suit my needs (suggestions welcome!).

On the left hand side of the bag, I've attached two 5.11 H2O Carriers, at least one will stay. As of right now, rockin' a Nalgene and a 1L Gatorade. I also keep the access card here for my range on a gear retractor, nothing fancy, but it keeps it handy.

And the back of the bag; nothing fancy here, at least not for my needs. Designed as a patrol bag, there's a panel which allows you to buckle the bag into the passenger seat (in a left hand drive vehicle), and there's an ID panel, so that everyone in the squad doesn't get their gear mixed up.

Now we're into the good stuff, the cream filled center. The front pouch of this bag is very administrative; pen holders, mesh pocket, file dividers, etc. The flap to this pouch is covered in PALS webbing, which I will utilize as funds become available for more pouches. At this time, I'm thinking at least a double pistol and double rifle shingle, maybe more to follow.

Here I've pulled out what I have in these pockets so far; Pen, pencil, sharpie, CSSA Membership card, gift card wrapped with masking & electrical tape (for patching targets), bullet layover (for scoring targets), windproof lighter, flashlight, ZS business cards. This pouch will develop more over time, lots of unused pockets.

The flap to the main pouch opens up in two panels, designed to wrap around the headrest of the passenger seat in your car, and keep the bag open. Again, this area is covered in PALS webbing, at this time, I don't know if I'll use it for anything in particular, but it's MOLLE, I have the option to change my mind :mrgreen: . The top panel is two zippered mesh pockets, with loop Velcro PALS, and the bottom panel is nylon PALS on a soft fabric base. I believe this fabric is designed to be used with the 5.11 backup belt system, I don't have any experience with that system, but I believe if it's a fine Velcro attachment, you can see that I've attached shotgun cards to both sections.

Inside of the bag, note the two dividers, one running length wise, the other, half of the width.

The following is what I have in the three divisions of the main compartment, organized by compartment:

Ammo:

Range Gear (and a bit of overflow ammo):

Keltec S2K (and I hung the knife on one of the dividers):

One does not simply spend over $100 on a bag and leave it behind when the shit hits the fan. Being the tacticool, mall-ninja that I am, I intend on adapting this bag into my version of a bailout bag, a support bag for my go to firearms in a Bug out situation. So that's what this bag will likely develop into, but it will always be first and foremost, a range bag.

So for now, thanks for taking a look, I'll be updating this thread if I make any changes to the bag.
Last edited by BullOnParade on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Broccoli Killer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list...

Re: BullOnParade's Range (and Bailout) Bag

Post by Broccoli Killer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Looks great. I've had my eye on that same bag ever since my last one fell to pieces. Seeing all the real estate that this bag provides gives me high hopes for when I get my hands on one.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 am

Nice, I'm gonna have to get more organized like that. Currently I just have a smallish "tactical purse" like bag with a selection of ammo and mags that I commonly use, in addition to the earplugs, safety glasses, and first aid kits that I keep in each of my vehicles and at home.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

peetar

Post by peetar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 am

Looks like you have got a great start to an awesome BOB there.
Smallish bags with essentials like that and a folding and hyper- concealable firearm are best in SHTF. Cheers!

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: BullOnParade's Range (and Bailout) Bag - Update: 12/17/1

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated this one. Lots of little upgrades and changes over the years, but since my 2015 Goals included upgrading all of my kits, it's time I update what I have in this one.

I've learnt with this bag, it performs better when full. More molle more rigidity, and full pockets enforced an earlier perception of flimsyness. Basically, I had things loaded into the main pocket that work well to add rigidity to the bag. The 5.11 water bottle holders I had have been replaced with cheap ebay models. They no longer fit a nesting cup, but I have some ideas to add utility. Currently store 1L Gatorade, and 1L Nalgene. I'd bought a can of Redbull thinking the smaller diameter can (I usually opt for Monster energy drinks) might fit inside the Nalgene, but I wasn't so lucky. The FAK was replaced with a Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. FAK, which I love for organizational purposes. It's capable of holding the full GSW kit I had in the 5.11 6.6, plus the booboo things I wanted to be sure I had access to incase of a bad day at the range. One of my favourite features I've added to this bag is replacing the shoulder strap with a spare rifle sling on quick detach swivels. I took some pictures while I built it, so here you go:

Things I used: 1" webbing, 10-24 tee nuts, 10-24 round head cap screws*, flat washers, Magpul quick detach sockets.
*I suggest these screws because it's what Magpul uses for the sockets, and their butt pads; added utility in a SHTF scenario, should I need to cannibalize these parts for a rifle.

Folded the webbing over on itself, used an awl to open a hole in the webbing, and opened that up with the screw, then a screw driver before the hole could accept the nut.

All assembled, looped through a row of MOLLE webbing on each side, ready to rock.

This adds a layer of modularity to my firearms; spare parts being carried at minimal additional weight. I've also left the original D rings in place, so I could switch back to a standard shoulder strap if I chose.

Inside the front panel (pardon the shitty picture), I've swapped the cheap flashlight for a Surefire G2X Pro (G2X Tactical being the weapon mounted light on my long guns). I've added a Blue Force Gear double rifle and double pistol pouch. These thin, lightweight pouches are great for inside pockets like I'm using here. They take up no space, and hold the magazines firmly, so firmly, I'm considering purchase of Magpul baseplates for the Glock mags. This is also where I store safety glasses and Surefire Sonic Defenders. The admin pockets have had some modest upgrades: A precision oil pen replaced the pencil, a bandana was added, and $50 in small bills added to the assorted pocket change I kept in the kit before. I also added an old 1GB usb key with digital copies of the firearm related documents I kept hard copies of before, and the usual prepper backups I keep in all my kits. Still lots of room in this pocket, probably add a write in the rain pad/start a dope log as I start to fine tune those long gun skills.

Inside the main compartment I've replaced the binos with a spotting scope, and added a few minimalist holsters. One being a Maxpedition hook-&-loop CCW holster. the other a Tagula IWB. Neither do anything special, but probably won't ever get forced into use. Currently the Maxped holds a rubber pistol for instruction purposes to new shooters. The top loop panels have become a place to store out of circulation morale pouches. I want to replace the pocket knife with a Leatherman Mutt, waiting for the right deal.

So there you have it, I hardly believe I've had this bag as long as I have. It's serving me well, and lots of capacity to grow with me further.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”