Finding reloading components...

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ssdtopgun

Finding reloading components...

Post by ssdtopgun » Wed May 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Just curious to see what everyone is looking for with respect to reloading components.

What seems to be the items you are having the most trouble finding? Brass, bullets, powder, primers, dies, etc.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Finding reloading components...

Post by majorhavoc » Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Primers, then bullets. Followed by powder. I haven't even looked for brass because I already have more than enough.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu May 23, 2013 1:52 am

Primers. Always primers.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 am

FMJ bullets.

Lead I can find. Lead I can can find a friend who will help me cast a few dozen.

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Thu May 23, 2013 7:52 am

Primers (except large rifle magnum) and powder, for me. Well, some powder. I can find the oddballs, but the well-known powders for well-known calibers, like HP-38, H110, BL-C(2), Varget, CFE 223, Blue Dot, Unique, etc are hard to come by. FMJ bullets pretty much can't be found, and when they can, they cost the same as JHP/JSP - so I'm just loading all hunting/defense loads, and plinking with those. Still cheaper than factory FMJ.

Brass I'm having no problem finding - except for .357 Magnum.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Powder. I usually have enough bullets and primers. But powder seems to go pretty quick.

-Mb

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Primers.

Now that I found a good local supplier for powder I'm having no issues. I may not get the exact powder I want for my pet loads but can almost always find an alternative. Hit and miss on new brass but I have enough to load what I need. Same on bullets...but I can almost always find a suitable substitute for what I really want except for the damn Barnes 110 gr. for my supersonic 300BLK loads!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm

I have only seen some places with a little bit of Primers and Powder. Though one of my gun stores actually had 6 boxes of Primers (1,000 each) for handguns. Powder is hit or miss. I think the biggest annoyance is FMJ bullets though. Even my local reloading store can't even stock FMJ completed rounds, let alone the actual FMJ bullets for reloading.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Bullets. Though I have found some, byt they are my biggest cost per load so if I can find some more for cheaper it will be helpful.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Powder is the hardest because as son as it comes in its gone in my area. Primers are next and bullets depending on caliber are a close third.

Of course for me these days its brass since I have successfully loaded all the casings I had. Need to get on the quad and go scour the canyons where people here go to shoot.

I just stock up on things as I find them even if I don't need them at the moment especially the powder.
Regulators mount up.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Cabelas is only a couple minutes out of the way coming home from work so I just swing by there a couple times a week. Caught primers on sale one time and bullets on sale another. Been buying a bunch of the plastic ammo boxes when I'm there too.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:47 am

Honestly, i can find everything locally. I just am having problem finding primers for a decent price. Went to my LGS last week and bought some Red Dot for $20(not bad), but Large Pistol Primers were $55/1k. :shock: I'll keep looking and hope the prices come down.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Dahrkstorm

Post by Dahrkstorm » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am

Got notified via email about this special. Unfortunately I didn't open my email until today.

http://www.xtremebullets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Black Friday - Cyber Monday Special 17% Off All Copper Bullets while supplies last.

Just enter coupon code: 17special on the check out page.

Offer starts 11-29-13 and ends on 12-2-13
I am me. Semper Fi

cssims

Post by cssims » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Palmetto State Armory had a great pre-black Friday deal on "uncleaned brass" last week. I picked up 1 .30 cal can of 9mm(approx 1700 cases) & 1 .30 cal can of .223/5.56(approx 700 cases). $50 each. They arrived yesterday or this morning..not sure, but I started cleaning the 9mm a few hours ago and I've done about half of the can. I'll start sorting when I get everything cleaned. From the few 9 I picked out, there was Blazer Brass, Winchester, Remington, and several I didn't recognize.

Both cans were completely full. As you see in the .223/5.56, there are several cases that have slightly crushed necks. I'm going to see if I can get them resized, but I'm not expecting much.

Now if I could only find a lot more powder and bullets.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 pm

cssims wrote:Palmetto State Armory had a great pre-black Friday deal on "uncleaned brass" last week. . . . .
As you see in the .223/5.56, there are several cases that have slightly crushed necks. I'm going to see if I can get them resized, but I'm not expecting much.
Slightly crushed necks are no problem. They come out looking perfect after sizing. For ones that are a little more than "slightly" crushed, I've had good luck working them open with a phillips head screw driver. You don't need to be perfect, just open enough so they'll pass over the expanding plug; the die will do the rest.

The only thing you want to look out for is any sign of splitting in the case neck. Those go straight into the trash.

cssims

Post by cssims » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
cssims wrote:Palmetto State Armory had a great pre-black Friday deal on "uncleaned brass" last week. . . . .
As you see in the .223/5.56, there are several cases that have slightly crushed necks. I'm going to see if I can get them resized, but I'm not expecting much.
Slightly crushed necks are no problem. They come out looking perfect after sizing. For ones that are a little more than "slightly" crushed, I've had good luck working them open with a phillips head screw driver. You don't need to be perfect, just open enough so they'll pass over the expanding plug; the die will do the rest.

The only thing you want to look out for is any sign of splitting in the case neck. Those go straight into the trash.
Good to know. Thanks.

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 pm

If you have split necks on 5.56 brass, don't trash them. They can be trimmed down for .300BLK or .22TCM, or .300 whisper. If it is totally crushed save it in a recycle bin. You can get some good change for brass now a days. Hell even my .41 mag, when the necks split, I trim them down to .44 special length and have my self some .41 special brass for loading.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Bullets. I can't find .308 30-30 FTX's anywhere. Locally, there are no .355/.356 or .451/.452 in either jacketed or lead.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Lately I have had good luck with components locally and brass and bullets on line. Jacketed 30/30 in 158 grain on the other hand seems to be no where. Not even factory ammo in any of the stores in my area in that or 38 spl or 380 can be found right now. I am good for a while on primers, powder and bullets though. I also recently discovered the Big 5 sells primers but no other components. I just happened to glance at he ammo counter and saw the primers just sitting there. The manager told me they have carried them for as long as he has known but don't sell to many because most people don't know they have them.
Regulators mount up.

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:05 pm

Powder is the biggest thing that I have a problem finding.
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 am

These days if I walk into a store and they have powder I buy it up even if I don't need it right now. This method has me sitting on about 30 cans of various powder these days. My focus going forward will be powder for 308 270 and 223 unless I run into good pistol powder and they have no rifle on hand in which case sine the two places that well powder are about a half hour away and I don't get there often might as well get what they have while I am there. I was doing the same thing with primers but I am now sitting at about 5000 of each primer type (SP, LP, SPM, LR and SR). So for primers I will keep 5000 stored and when I open a box I will replace it with a full one to keep my stock at 5000 unopened and rotate the stock as I use them.
Regulators mount up.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”