Firearms Chat.....Sans catchy title

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

tedbeau

Re: Firearms Chat.....Sans catchy title

Post by tedbeau » Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am

Braxton wrote:
tedbeau wrote:
Braxton wrote:Loading a thousand rounds of WOLF on stripper clips sucks.
Question on stripper clips. I was lucky enough to get a whole bunch free from the thread here on the pay it forward ZS firearms thread. They are tarnished, a dull grey color and the ammo doesnt slide into the mag very well.
I took a couple and polished them up using a wire wheel on a bench grinder, That helped a little but it still takes a lot of force to push the ammo down. I was wondering if there was something I could coat the clips with, grease, oil, or I was thinking maybe even bar soap or candle wax to lubricate the clips. It would have to be a light coating that wouldn't gum up the action of the gun. (We are talking AK here though anyways.) Has anyone tried anything on stripper clips to make them easier to use?
First thing, take them apart and clean out the grit.
No grit to speak of. They are just tarnished. Plus there isn't anything to take apart on the stripper clips, if your talking about taking apart the mags, thats not the issue, the mags are new, never used. I really am considering trying bar soap, I could wipe it on and then wipe down the stripper with a dry rag. See if the soap film will act as a lubricant.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue May 21, 2013 10:52 am

Dude, no way.

Heat, and soap have issues written all over it.

Edit for telling you no yet giving no advice.

Try one of the dry lube silicon sprays or something before the soap.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 am

0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

Wonders if the ATF would consider that a pistol?

Hhmmmm....
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue May 21, 2013 11:58 am

I'd dig one with a AR57 upper - get some FN thrills for cheap!
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Blackout At Sunrise

Post by Blackout At Sunrise » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 am

Regular Guy wrote:Wonders if the ATF would consider that a pistol?

Hhmmmm....
That would be so rad.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 pm

KentsOkay wrote:I'd dig one with a AR57 upper - get some FN thrills for cheap!
I'm thinking about an abstract. Hook it up with a 6" barrel with an upper that accepts 57 mags. Since it's a printable lower, you could modify the magwell to accept 57 mags. I'm seeing a 20" OAL. :shock:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 pm

How long do y'all think it'll be before we see one of those made of something like aluminum ?

Although, I suppose if the material used is a high strength polymer (like whatever Glock makes their frames out of), it'll be no issue.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:How long do y'all think it'll be before we see one of those made of something like aluminum ?

Although, I suppose if the material used is a high strength polymer (like whatever Glock makes their frames out of), it'll be no issue.
The file is for a 3D printer, which sadly is just ABS or similar plastic getting extruded layer by layer. Glock frames and most polymer guns are cast from plastic with glass fiber and whatnot in it. Aluminum can be cast or milled. 3D printing is used a lot for prototyping, not so much for actual manufacturing.

Blackout At Sunrise

Post by Blackout At Sunrise » Tue May 21, 2013 12:10 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:How long do y'all think it'll be before we see one of those made of something like aluminum ?

The file is for a 3D printer, which sadly is just ABS or similar plastic getting extruded layer by layer. Glock frames and most polymer guns are cast from plastic with glass fiber and whatnot in it. Aluminum can be cast or milled. 3D printing is used a lot for prototyping, not so much for actual manufacturing.
Wouldn't someone be able to print the plastic lower, create a mold with it, and forge the final lower?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Blackout At Sunrise wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:

Wouldn't someone be able to print the plastic lower, create a mold with it, and forge the final lower?
That's what I was thinking.

If someone made a forged lower in that configuration, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Assuming it didn't cost more than my truck payment, that is.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Blackout At Sunrise wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:

If you have the data files why add a astep and not just cnc it to begin with?
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Good point, DocDredd.

That'd be one way to keep costs down a bit as well.

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:15 pm

I picked this 10/22 up off of a relative today for 100 bucks came with a mag and a 100 rounds. I have been trying to find out what they went for but no Google-fu for me today.

It is a 10/22 in the Realltree hardwoods pattern with 20-200 on it. Does anyone have a clue what these went for I'm thinking about flipping it to make a few bucks. I keep the ammo of course :mrgreen:

Here is a couple of pics.

Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm

$700 is a good price for now. I think it was less than $500 when I bought mine.

I'm kicking myself for not buying the SIG .223 pistol now. I saw it just before all this Sandy Hook gun-grabbing madness and was thinking "I don't really want that; it's .223 and I don't really shoot much .223".
THe Arsenal .223s look good, save for the price. And I could just buy an AR lower and build it up into a pistol, but then I'd still have the buffer tube sticking out, which the AK pistols don't have. Or I could just wait and save my money, but that option isn't as fun.
It can always get worse.

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

kcor_77 wrote:I picked this 10/22 up off of a relative today for 100 bucks came with a mag and a 100 rounds. I have been trying to find out what they went for but no Google-fu for me today.

It is a 10/22 in the Realltree hardwoods pattern with 20-200 on it. Does anyone have a clue what these went for I'm thinking about flipping it to make a few bucks. I keep the ammo of course :mrgreen:
You could probably turn it quick for $250-$300.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm

DFWMTX wrote:$700 is a good price for now. I think it was less than $500 when I bought mine.

I'm kicking myself for not buying the SIG .223 pistol now. I saw it just before all this Sandy Hook gun-grabbing madness and was thinking "I don't really want that; it's .223 and I don't really shoot much .223".
THe Arsenal .223s look good, save for the price. And I could just buy an AR lower and build it up into a pistol, but then I'd still have the buffer tube sticking out, which the AK pistols don't have. Or I could just wait and save my money, but that option isn't as fun.
I thought about buying or building an AR pistol at one point, but then the Ranch Hand popped up on my radar and I went "Screw it.".

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Draco when they were cheap and readily available, though.

kcor_77

Post by kcor_77 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm

I found out the pattern on the !0/22 is snow camo. It is a nice little 10/22 I might end up keeping it to go along with my other 10/22. Also where hell am I going to get another one for the same price?
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Dude that looks like no snow cammo I have ever seen....
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm

tedbeau wrote:
Braxton wrote:
tedbeau wrote:
Braxton wrote:Loading a thousand rounds of WOLF on stripper clips sucks.
Question on stripper clips. I was lucky enough to get a whole bunch free from the thread here on the pay it forward ZS firearms thread. They are tarnished, a dull grey color and the ammo doesnt slide into the mag very well.
I took a couple and polished them up using a wire wheel on a bench grinder, That helped a little but it still takes a lot of force to push the ammo down. I was wondering if there was something I could coat the clips with, grease, oil, or I was thinking maybe even bar soap or candle wax to lubricate the clips. It would have to be a light coating that wouldn't gum up the action of the gun. (We are talking AK here though anyways.) Has anyone tried anything on stripper clips to make them easier to use?
First thing, take them apart and clean out the grit.
No grit to speak of. They are just tarnished. Plus there isn't anything to take apart on the stripper clips, if your talking about taking apart the mags, thats not the issue, the mags are new, never used. I really am considering trying bar soap, I could wipe it on and then wipe down the stripper with a dry rag. See if the soap film will act as a lubricant.

Read my post soon after the ones you quoted.

Ammo will never slide right out of a stripper clip super easy, because, um, they are designed to HOLD the ammo. :mrgreen: Seriously get the lula thing and it will make your life with stripper clips a dream. The lever will help you push the ammo out of them into your mags as easily that is humanly possible. Srsly.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

docdredd wrote:Dude that looks like no snow cammo I have ever seen....
<speaking as a Fudd and connoisseur of Brand Name Camo - aka the Northern Tuxedo>

It is not RT Snow, it's RT Hardwoods. It's not RT Hardwoods Grey, or RT Hardwoods Green - it's the great gran-daddy of the much more tan RT "AP". Hardwoods fell out of favor about the time MO went away from Bottomlands to Break Up.

I'd guess it's an *insert hunting megastore* exclusive, Cabelas was known to have these as well as BassPro.

NXP

kcor_77

Post by kcor_77 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:45 pm

northernxposure wrote:
docdredd wrote:Dude that looks like no snow cammo I have ever seen....
<speaking as a Fudd and connoisseur of Brand Name Camo - aka the Northern Tuxedo>

It is not RT Snow, it's RT Hardwoods. It's not RT Hardwoods Grey, or RT Hardwoods Green - it's the great gran-daddy of the much more tan RT "AP". Hardwoods fell out of favor about the time MO went away from Bottomlands to Break Up.

I'd guess it's an *insert hunting megastore* exclusive, Cabelas was known to have these as well as BassPro.

NXP
One side is the darker side the other side has a lot of white in it. If it is not snow then I'm at a complete loss here as I've never seen this pattern. Here is a pic of the stock on the other side.

Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Still RT Hardwoods. Consider how much other color there is in the pattern, and that most commercial camo patterns are based on at least a 3' repeat, then wrap that around a 10/22 stock.

RT Snow is damn near all white, with a minimal amount of black/gray for the limbs. I'll let you Google it for your own curiosity, but that's RT Hardwoods.

NXP

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Just for reference, here is a link to current realtree patterns: http://www.realtree.com/camo/realtree-camo-patterns

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”