WWII Soviet Steel Helmet vs SKS & Mosin Nagant

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: WWII Soviet Steel Helmet vs SKS & Mosin Nagant

Post by Hoppy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Hence why they don't line up. NIJ and DOD operate two separate standards. But you see helmets on some sites claiming "IIIA" protection when the DOD doesn't line up with NIJ ratings and NIJ ratings for NIJ 06 are vest not helmet... hence my post.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 pm

iron_angel wrote:
JFlagg wrote:I did a similar test years ago with a standard issue Kevlar helmet that the US army uses... I shot it with .22LR, .40, .270 and .300 win mag... Mostly because that's what I had. The only one that didnt penetrate was .22lr, and it still bubbled the inside enough to give the wearer some serious head trauma...
I wonder how variable those are... The Box O' Truth (yeah, yeah, I know) did a test on one of those, with a .22, 9mm, .45, .357 Magnum and 7.62x25 Tokarev. Everything but the Tokarev was stopped cold, though the .357s bubbled the inside pretty badly. The Tokarev blew right through, somewhat surprisingly - I'd think the velocity on the hot .357 Mag FMJs he was trying would be pretty close, though by then the helmet's structure was probably pretty buggered. I'd think, given that, most any rifle round would not find one of those Kevlar brainbuckets to be a significant impediment.

Out of curiosity, was that .40 an FMJ? (I am not at all surprised by the .270 and the .300 win mag, those are vicious penetrators any way you slice it)
Yeah, the .40 were just some 185? Gr. FMJ I target practice with... And I knew the .270 and .300 wouldn't even slow down, but I was having fun :)
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Hoppy wrote:Hence why they don't line up. NIJ and DOD operate two separate standards. But you see helmets on some sites claiming "IIIA" protection when the DOD doesn't line up with NIJ ratings and NIJ ratings for NIJ 06 are vest not helmet... hence my post.
Does the DOD even use the term IIIA when it comes to helmets?

My point was that there isn't an NIJ standard for IIIA helmets, yet manufacturers and articles in magazines constantly refer to "NIJ IIIA Helmets".

Here's one in Defense Review.
DefenseReview (DR) has mentioned the Ops-Core FAST (Future Assault Shell Technology) Ballitic Helmet (NIJ Level IIIA) with FAST-ARC 4-Position Accessory Rail Connectors and integrated Head-Loc Chin Strap Retention System in a couple of previous articles on other military tactical products (Atlantic Signal Dominator tactical comms headset and Revision Military BATLSKIN ballistic combat helmet/visor/face shield system).
http://www.defensereview.com/ops-core-f ... an-with-u/

It's no wonder that there's so much confusion on the subject, when even journals that are supposedly "in the know", don't have a clue.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 pm

400 Grains wrote:
Hoppy wrote:Hence why they don't line up. NIJ and DOD operate two separate standards. But you see helmets on some sites claiming "IIIA" protection when the DOD doesn't line up with NIJ ratings and NIJ ratings for NIJ 06 are vest not helmet... hence my post.
Does the DOD even use the term IIIA when it comes to helmets?

My point was that there isn't an NIJ standard for IIIA helmets, yet manufacturers and articles in magazines constantly refer to "NIJ IIIA Helmets".

Here's one in Defense Review.
DefenseReview (DR) has mentioned the Ops-Core FAST (Future Assault Shell Technology) Ballitic Helmet (NIJ Level IIIA) with FAST-ARC 4-Position Accessory Rail Connectors and integrated Head-Loc Chin Strap Retention System in a couple of previous articles on other military tactical products (Atlantic Signal Dominator tactical comms headset and Revision Military BATLSKIN ballistic combat helmet/visor/face shield system).
http://www.defensereview.com/ops-core-f ... an-with-u/

It's no wonder that there's so much confusion on the subject, when even journals that are supposedly "in the know", don't have a clue.
no i do not believe they do
im agreeing with you. its marketing not proofing in most these cases
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

desert fox

Post by desert fox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am

Red Dawn wrote:
Utah_ZHunter wrote:
Red Dawn wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:Cool. What about pistol rounds? Iwould be interested to 9 and 45 up against a similar helmet.
Off camera we shot it with a 38 special, 32 auto and birdshot plus buck shot. If the video gets enough attention I'll order another helmet and do a similar test. Unfortunately I don't have a 9mm or a 45... but I do have a Sig P250 so I guess I have an excuse to shell out five hundred more for two caliber kits.
Give me a call. I can bring a 9mm handgun, and carbine, 45, 357, 44mag, 50ae, 7.62x54, 303. (and anything else my dad has)
If we do a second one I'll be sure to let you know when. Had to go to Mona canyon. They closed off the entire west side of Utah lake to shooters. I've never been to the standbury range but Chris the other guy in the video has so he knows where it is. I really miss living in Hurricane, I could step off my back porch and shoot there.

they shut down pelican point? that sucks! houses burning definitely sucks but man Im glad Im in Az now. I don't think i could resist the temptation to shoot there. Some good memories out there, that place is like a giant playground. Shooting, 4xing, camping, all in one with some beautiful views. How far south did they shut it down? if you go 16 more miles....i think, well quite a ways at least, and then a couple miles west on dirt roads theres more spots to shoot
One mans trash, is another mans come up.

http://www.zazzle.com/gunowner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/AndIAmAGunOwner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mormon.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”