Firearms CHAT, the whateverth

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Re: Firearms CHAT, the whateverth

Post by Makarov » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Regular Guy wrote: Is there something between a pistol and an SBR'd AR-15?
Hk MARK 23. It's a offensive handgun... :wink:
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 am

Makarov wrote:
The only thing offensive about it is the price tag.
Off the internet until further notice.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am

Makarov wrote: Hk MARK 23. It's a offensive handgun... :wink:
Lordy, I used to think that was the case. Stupid gun mags, telling me stuff that ain't true....

I've shot 5.7 in a 6" barrel with a Sparrow on it. It's by no means what I'd call quiet. It's well louder than subsonic pistol ammo shot through a can. It's not as loud as 223 through a can, but it's not in the same league as 22 LR with that same Sparrow. (so long as it's not Stingers or something supersonic)
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 am

Makarov wrote:
No. I hate that gun. I shot one a bunch and it did nothing for me. Why do you make a handgun BIGGER than a carbine Hk? Why? :gonk:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am

PistolPete wrote:
Lordy, I used to think that was the case. Stupid gun mags, telling me stuff that ain't true....

I've shot 5.7 in a 6" barrel with a Sparrow on it. It's by no means what I'd call quiet. It's well louder than subsonic pistol ammo shot through a can. It's not as loud as 223 through a can, but it's not in the same league as 22 LR with that same Sparrow. (so long as it's not Stingers or something supersonic)
Do you have anymore input on my topic of between a pistol and a SBR Pete? I'd like to hear your thunks.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 am

Regular Guy wrote:
PistolPete wrote: Do you have anymore input on my topic of between a pistol and a SBR Pete? I'd like to hear your thunks.
Eh, that's kinda what I was looking for people's thoughts on in this thread:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=105055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After pondering people's thoughts on the answer I've come to the thought that for defensive use, a big Glock (24 or 17L, or a 34 or 35) with big mags is the way to go if you want to augment a CCW but don't have the capability to carry a rifle. If you can't get a stock, I'd go with a platform I trust that has a longer barrel. Longer barrel = less recoil, more velocity and longer sight radius, so may as well go as long as they make. It's not like a Glock 17L is extra heavy.

I'm also a believer in red dots on pistols, but I've yet to do so on a centerfire pistol. At a recent shooting day we let some people run the same course with different guns, and the Ruger Mk III with a red dot we had on hand consistently posted the best times/scores. One day I may try to mount one on a Glock, but it's not a cheap proposition.

A few years back I had one of the Sub-2k's and I found I wasn't shooting much better groups at 25 yards than with a Glock 34. I could probably shoot the groups a bit faster with the carbine, but I never got used to the trigger and sights on that gun. It made me question the advantage of a PCC like that over a full sized pistol. You do get more velocity out of a 16" barrel than a 5.3" barrel, but that's about where the advantages stopped, at least for me with that particular gun.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 am

PistolPete wrote: A few years back I had one of the Sub-2k's and I found I wasn't shooting much better groups at 25 yards than with a Glock 34. I could probably shoot the groups a bit faster with the carbine, but I never got used to the trigger and sights on that gun. It made me question the advantage of a PCC like that over a full sized pistol. You do get more velocity out of a 16" barrel than a 5.3" barrel, but that's about where the advantages stopped, at least for me with that particular gun.
Even that's not necessarily an advantage, since most defensive pistol ammunition is designed around a particular velocity window. Driving the projectile over that window often results in worse performance, not better.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am

PistolPete wrote:I'm also a believer in red dots on pistols, but I've yet to do so on a centerfire pistol. At a recent shooting day we let some people run the same course with different guns, and the Ruger Mk III with a red dot we had on hand consistently posted the best times/scores. One day I may try to mount one on a Glock, but it's not a cheap proposition.
I'm surprised we haven't seen more attempts at miniaturizing red dots for pistols, or a factory built in option. It seems inevitable.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

PistolPete wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
PistolPete wrote: Do you have anymore input on my topic of between a pistol and a SBR Pete? I'd like to hear your thunks.
Eh, that's kinda what I was looking for people's thoughts on in this thread:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=105055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After pondering people's thoughts on the answer I've come to the thought that for defensive use, a big Glock (24 or 17L, or a 34 or 35) with big mags is the way to go if you want to augment a CCW but don't have the capability to carry a rifle. If you can't get a stock, I'd go with a platform I trust that has a longer barrel. Longer barrel = less recoil, more velocity and longer sight radius, so may as well go as long as they make. It's not like a Glock 17L is extra heavy.

I'm also a believer in red dots on pistols, but I've yet to do so on a centerfire pistol. At a recent shooting day we let some people run the same course with different guns, and the Ruger Mk III with a red dot we had on hand consistently posted the best times/scores. One day I may try to mount one on a Glock, but it's not a cheap proposition.

A few years back I had one of the Sub-2k's and I found I wasn't shooting much better groups at 25 yards than with a Glock 34. I could probably shoot the groups a bit faster with the carbine, but I never got used to the trigger and sights on that gun. It made me question the advantage of a PCC like that over a full sized pistol. You do get more velocity out of a 16" barrel than a 5.3" barrel, but that's about where the advantages stopped, at least for me with that particular gun.

Glock 10mm longslide, biggest boolitz you can find
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

Krustofski wrote:
The only thing offensive about it is the price tag.
:clap:
Regular Guy wrote:
Makarov wrote:
No. I hate that gun. I shot one a bunch and it did nothing for me. Why do you make a handgun BIGGER than a carbine Hk? Why? :gonk:
Hahaha.

I've handled one a couple of times too. I was really offended...
Last edited by Makarov on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am

400 Grains wrote: Even that's not necessarily an advantage, since most defensive pistol ammunition is designed around a particular velocity window. Driving the projectile over that window often results in worse performance, not better.
Very true, if you overdrive velocity too much pistol bullets can explode rather than expand in a controlled fashion. So that could be a detriment, but it does extend the effective range of your ammo to perform as the factory expected.

With 9mm it's as simple as picking a bullet designed for 357 sig, like one of the solid copper bullets. They won't blow up out of a 16" 9mm carbine.

One other thing, RG, I've found AR pistols to be pretty useful, and even a PLR-16 equipped with a sling to be pretty accurate at longer ranges than common handguns. 223 out of a 9" barrel isn't ideal, but choose the right bullet and you can have an effective gun that could be more effective than a common handgun but shy of a SBR or carbine.

- Mark Twain

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm

PistolPete wrote:One other thing, RG, I've found AR pistols to be pretty useful, and even a PLR-16 equipped with a sling to be pretty accurate at longer ranges than common handguns. 223 out of a 9" barrel isn't ideal, but choose the right bullet and you can have an effective gun that could be more effective than a common handgun but shy of a SBR or carbine.
Cool, I hadn't considered a AR-15 pistol, I have a few AR pistol lowers. I need to revisit them. At this time I use them to hold SBR uppers that don't have registered lowers.

I'm not one to poo-poo 5.56 out of short barrel. I think it's plenty effective for civilian application. I'm not in a war zone and I don't need DRT, I need to stop a threat. I need it to do so at typical self defense distances. Yes, someone shooting at you at 500m is a threat but good luck detecting the aggressor. Anyway, I use 77gr Blackhills for my 5.56 SBRs.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Here comes another "what should I do" question.

I've had a Seekins billet lower on order for quite awhile now that I still don't know when it is going to arrive. But I have the option to trade that order straight up for a billet lower that is designed to take Glock mags. My choice of a large mag well or small mag well......and those are available next week. What say you, go for the Glock mag lower?
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Here comes another "what should I do" question.

I've had a Seekins billet lower on order for quite awhile now that I still don't know when it is going to arrive. But I have the option to trade that order straight up for a billet lower that is designed to take Glock mags. My choice of a large mag well or small mag well......and those are available next week. What say you, go for the Glock mag lower?
I opine, if you get a glock lower, get large mag well and go 10mm. How much are those?

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
PistolPete wrote:One other thing, RG, I've found AR pistols to be pretty useful, and even a PLR-16 equipped with a sling to be pretty accurate at longer ranges than common handguns. 223 out of a 9" barrel isn't ideal, but choose the right bullet and you can have an effective gun that could be more effective than a common handgun but shy of a SBR or carbine.
Cool, I hadn't considered a AR-15 pistol, I have a few AR pistol lowers. I need to revisit them. At this time I use them to hold SBR uppers that don't have registered lowers.

I'm not one to poo-poo 5.56 out of short barrel. I think it's plenty effective for civilian application. I'm not in a war zone and I don't need DRT, I need to stop a threat. I need it to do so at typical self defense distances. Yes, someone shooting at you at 500m is a threat but good luck detecting the aggressor. Anyway, I use 77gr Blackhills for my 5.56 SBRs.
wait - wut? RG, 300BLK connissuer extraodinare (of which I'm positive I've butchered the spelling), wants to kick around the thought of a 5,56 AR pistol?

Ha - Wut?

NXP

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Regular Guy wrote:

I opine, if you get a glock lower, get large mag well and go 10mm. How much are those?
I was thinking the same thing, but have been torn on the small mag well for some redundancy with the 9mm that I already own. 10mm would be pretty badass though.

I'll check to see if there are any available for sale to the public. I did some horse trading with my local gunsmith-manufacturer on some guns awhile back and part of the deal was for another Controlled Chaos Arms/Seekins built lower but those have been backlogged on production like everything else. I talked to him yesterday and said he would swap me out for a Glock mag lower that he has a bunch of showing up next week. I hesitate to throw out a price because I know what he charges me but that isn't the normal price. If I had to guess I would say $250ish......
Last edited by Maverick299 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm

northernxposure wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: Cool, I hadn't considered a AR-15 pistol, I have a few AR pistol lowers. I need to revisit them. At this time I use them to hold SBR uppers that don't have registered lowers.

wait - wut? RG, 300BLK connissuer extraodinare (of which I'm positive I've butchered the spelling), wants to kick around the thought of a 5,56 AR pistol?

Ha - Wut?

NXP
Bastard. :lol: Yes, I'm spit ballin' around different ideas without having to spend mo' money on a tweeny. I think I just need a 9mm can and roll with my Glock 17 and the Delta Point chillin' on it.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
northernxposure wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: Cool, I hadn't considered a AR-15 pistol, I have a few AR pistol lowers. I need to revisit them. At this time I use them to hold SBR uppers that don't have registered lowers.

Ha - Wut?

NXP

Bastard. :lol: Yes, I'm spit ballin' around different ideas without having to spend mo' money on a tweeny. I think I just need a 9mm can and roll with my Glock 17 and the Delta Point chillin' on it.
Gonna be honest - dealing with my own little hell right now at work (ice storm brought shit down, hard) so I was getting this weird RG bizzaro world thing going on in my brain so I needed the "Wut?" moment.

"Some Dude" at work just got his 8" BLK barrel installed and putting his Bowers can on it for shiggles, so when he gets his primers in we're going to see how 300BLK does out of a 9mm barrel.

You should get a 9mm can. :crazy:

NXP

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 pm

OK I'm not a glock fan so I may be off base here. If I am please feel free to educated me.

If you get the glock lower and since it's an AR style, can't you get uppers in different calibers say 9mm, 357 sig and 40? Two pins and your shooting a different caliber. To me this seems doable. Make it an SBR and your in business. I bring this up as in the current ammo shortages I have noticed some times 40 is in stock but no 9mm or 357sig and next time just the opposite. Seems there is always one but not the other two and it varies day to day. If you had a flexible platform you could switch to what ever was available at the moment. Of course this is totally based on if the mag well will let you use the different mags. Like I said I have limited knowledge of the glock mags and dimensions and such.

In addition, your SBR would take the same mags as you side arm or even a 2nd possible back up side arm. You would only need to carry one type of mag on your vest vs my need to carry .223 ar mags and 45acp xd mags. Plus I imagine loaded glock mags would weigh less than .223 mags as well.

If the SBR was your truck gun and matched your ccw then you could keep reloads for your ccw on your belt and some 30rd mags with the rifle in the truck and still be compatible in a bug out, SHTF, gotta get home to the family situation.

Gee and thanks Maverick now I want this for my XD just not sure if I would do 9mm 40 or 45 or get an upper for all three. Which aint gonna happen any time soon with the current economy. :gonk:

Just a thought on gear, firearms/cliber compatability and such.
Last edited by zobmiedown on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regulators mount up.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Just shot our 10" 5.56 AR pistol this weekend. Perfect function, quite accurate (1-2" grouping at 50 yds unsupported) with 55gr xm193, and extremely light.

It just seems counterproductive to take even the reduced effectiveness of a rifle round out of a short barrel and trade it for a much less effective pistol caliber round. I thought we'd found a happy medium with the 6-8" 300blk sbr. Something like the AAC honey badger seemed to be about the best compromise possible without losing the advantages of a rifle caliber round.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

I have no experience with the 300bo either other than what you guys post here. I would love to shoot one and see what all the fuss is about but the truth is I dont have the means to get one right now and I dont know anyone in my area that has one for me to test drive.

I just answered Mavericks question as to his ability to get a glock mag lower and I could see the usefulness of such a thing. Im in a rural location so I would want a rifle as its 100m from my patio to my gate. However for thos in more densly populated areas such a thing might be just the ticket for a truck/ get home gun in a shtf situation to get you home to you better options.

This is why I went with the Rossi revolver and lever action. To have a common caliber when i'm out hunting Javalina wher the range would be 25-50 yards at most. Seems it would make sense in a get home, truck gun, ccw situation as well. I dont CCW my 357 when I'm headed into town as I prefer the higher capacity of my xd45 the ease of reloads and spare mags are in my oponion are easy to carry, conceal, and operate under stress while providing more ammo than speed loaders.

I guess the truth is no combination is perfect for every situation and you have to choose your tools for the job you are doing. I rarely paint my house with a hammer after all.
Regulators mount up.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Would there be any interest in a KRISS SBR vs G21SF? I've got (possibly) four shooters with experience ranging from combat vet to seasoned shooter to "knows where the bullets come out." Range would probably be about 15yd, unfortunately.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Would there be any interest in a KRISS SBR vs G21SF? I've got (possibly) four shooters with experience ranging from combat vet to seasoned shooter to "knows where the bullets come out." Range would probably be about 15yd, unfortunately.
Yeah. My uncle's got a KRISS, but I've never shot it. It's always getting repaired.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:03 pm

zobmiedown wrote:

OK I'm not a glock fan so I may be off base here. If I am please feel free to educated me.

If you get the glock lower and since it's an AR style, can't you get uppers in different calibers say 9mm, 357 sig and 40? Two pins and your shooting a different caliber. To me this seems doable. Make it an SBR and your in business. I bring this up as in the current ammo shortages I have noticed some times 40 is in stock but no 9mm or 357sig and next time just the opposite. Seems there is always one but not the other two and it varies day to day. If you had a flexible platform you could switch to what ever was available at the moment. Of course this is totally based on if the mag well will let you use the different mags. Like I said I have limited knowledge of the glock mags and dimensions and such.

In addition, your SBR would take the same mags as you side arm or even a 2nd possible back up side arm. You would only need to carry one type of mag on your vest vs my need to carry .223 ar mags and 45acp xd mags. Plus I imagine loaded glock mags would weigh less than .223 mags as well.

If the SBR was your truck gun and matched your ccw then you could keep reloads for your ccw on your belt and some 30rd mags with the rifle in the truck and still be compatible in a bug out, SHTF, gotta get home to the family situation.

Gee and thanks Maverick now I want this for my XD just not sure if I would do 9mm 40 or 45 or get an upper for all three. Which aint gonna happen any time soon with the current economy. :gonk:

Just a thought on gear, firearms/cliber compatability and such.
Yes, but at the cost of a $1000 an upper I don't think I'm going to keep 3 different uppers on hand to save on ammo costs. :D

The small mag well would take 9mm, 357 sig, and .40 while the large mag well would take .45, 10mm...............or 9x25 Dillon :awesome:

I carry a G19 a good percentage of the time so the small mag well makes the most sense for me, but the thought of a 10mm or 9x25 kinda gives me a semi!

***edit*** No SBR's allowed in my draconian state

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”