Firearms CHAT, the whateverth

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Ten Eight

Re: Firearms CHAT, the whateverth

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

docdredd wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Sold the P3AT with CT lazuh and 4 mags for $400 :lol:.

Time for a G26. Finally. No more stocking .380 for me.
Do you have a 19? Because having owned all three the 19 is by far the best fit. the 26 never afforded enough grip for me unless I added the extension.... which made it the same size as the 19.
My other 9mm Glock is a fish gill RTF2 17. The 26 will be my new pocket gun. It fits nice and draws smooth from all my pants and shorts except my dress pants.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:33 pm

My homework. 3 weeks until I will supposedly have my license.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Well The Savage FCP-SR that I have had on order for a month now through my ffl has fallen through :cry:

BUT.....

Ive decided to just build what I want from scratch. I have always wanted a "Gray man" precision rifle. Something that would fit in a decent size back pack yet still have power.

Im thinking..

Savage 10 action (Short action to be converted to 7mm-08)

18 inch Shilen Stainless Match Grade barrel 374$
http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smith industries Vortex flash Hider 60$
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ba ... 819&ch=aff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SWFA SS 10x42 MRAD Reticle 300$
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical- ... 53712.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dednutz scope rings/Base 65$
http://www.opticsplanet.com/dnz-dednutz ... mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Choate Folding stock 270$
http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Ulti ... Action.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts? This will be my second precision rifle build on a savage action.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

colinz

Post by colinz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 am

Docdredd, that could turn out to be quite interesting. How about a supressor to go on the end of that barrel though? ;)

Unrelated: I'm going shooting tomorrow. :clap: I'll be using a buddies lefty shotgun, and participating in the pre-season 'Duck Shoot' that the shotgun club runs. I have no idea what I'm doing. :ohdear: :crazy:

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 am

docdredd wrote:
Thoughts?
I'd spend an extra $100 on the sidefocus version of the SS scope, just for the convenience of adjusting when lying behind the rifle.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am

gravediggerfour wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:The military does not care about what the VA has to pay out for the most part as it is seperate funding pools that Generals don't have to worry over. And yes the VA does pay for hearing loss as it is rated in my disability letter but only at 5%.
VA does not do hearing loss NOW if it is not combat related due to a documented event, I know more then a few guys that had to cough up records or their hearing loss would not have been covered.

Just having hearing loss now is not good enough, you have to prove it was combat related and not training or equipment related because the Army issues ear pro.
when I was at the sleep lab last year, all kinds of active duty looking personnel in their BDU's or ACu's, whatever the heck they are called now, were all lined up in the waiting room. my sleep doc said that if they get diagnosed with sleep apnea before retiring, they get 50% disability. :shock: unnmm...err...okay... :?

Guns are icky!

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 am

^^ sleep apnea is a common problem, would like to see why it's such a prevalent problem in combat vets. Something that gets such a high percentage off the bat makes you wonder.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 am

gravediggerfour wrote:^^ sleep apnea is a common problem, would like to see why it's such a prevalent problem in combat vets. Something that gets such a high percentage off the bat makes you wonder.
I'm @ 30% for my sleep disorder. Not apnea, just a messed up internal clock.
Sleep apnea can be deadly so that's the high percentage. However, with the VA you can only have one "mental" issue you compensated for. Mines is sleep. Some is PTSD.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 am

0122358 wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:Anybody else think the ROF was a wee bit too high?
Don't the Germans generally like high cyclic rates? The MG 42 I shot had a very high cyclic rate.
Which was used against them in tactics in WW2 by our guys.

more info? interested
Draw fire until the barrel over-heated and they had to kick it out and replace the barrel (which means the gun will be down for a minute) and use that time to take the gun emplacement/take out the machine gunners.

Sometimes that worked out very well and sometimes it didn't (*Click*)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 am

Ten Eight wrote:
docdredd wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Sold the P3AT with CT lazuh and 4 mags for $400 :lol:.

Time for a G26. Finally. No more stocking .380 for me.
Unfaultering G19 Love...
My other 9mm Glock is a fish gill RTF2 17. The 26 will be my new pocket gun. It fits nice and draws smooth from all my pants and shorts except my dress pants.
10:8 I am both :clap: and :vmad: As an owner of a gilled RTF2 17, I like the cut of your jib, sir. Pick up some GAP floor plates and be happy - I would. Imma have my precious..

Fab - have fun! (also, a Mac? Really? A little trendy for even you, I'd figure...)

Dredd - I like it. Why 7-08?

NXP

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Image

My homework. 3 weeks until I will supposedly have my license.
Sorry, but you fail. I don't think people like you should have a FFL. In fact, your ilk should be hung. Seriously man.

It's a fucking Apple. It doesn't get more disgusting than that.
Off the internet until further notice.

Vicarious_Lee
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:^^ sleep apnea is a common problem, would like to see why it's such a prevalent problem in combat vets. Something that gets such a high percentage off the bat makes you wonder.
It's a prevalent problem in everyone is why. It used to just silently kill people with high blood pressure, heart attacks, and stroke. Most of it is obesity-related, but there are a lot of people out there who just can't breathe when they sleep and they don't know how much trouble it causes.

Sleep apnea causes depression as well.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm

docdredd wrote:Well The Savage FCP-SR that I have had on order for a month now through my ffl has fallen through :cry:

BUT.....

Ive decided to just build what I want from scratch. I have always wanted a "Gray man" precision rifle. Something that would fit in a decent size back pack yet still have power.

Im thinking..

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ba ... 819&ch=aff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical- ... 53712.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.opticsplanet.com/dnz-dednutz ... mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Ulti ... Action.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing I can tell you is that a friend of mine and reputable precision rifle builder will not touch Savage actions with a 10 foot pole. He will take them in and do bedding and cerakote and other things but will not touch the actions. Says they are built too sloppy to be a true precision rifle and doesn't want people coming back on him or his reputation as a rifle builder when it won't shoot 1/4 MOA like they think it should.

Those are his words, not mine so please don't take it out on me.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:42 pm

northernxposure wrote:
Dredd - I like it. Why 7-08?

NXP

Awesome ballistics. Less drop, Bucks wind better and more energy on target at 500 and 1000 yards than the .308. The 7mm-08 is just a .308 necked down to 7mm so brass is common and pretty much any gun that can handle .308 can be converted to it. Even out of a 18 inch barrel your getting 2600fps +. Its also very easy shooting and is a favorite for women and small framed shooters.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
docdredd wrote:Well The Savage FCP-SR that I have had on order for a month now through my ffl has fallen through :cry:

BUT.....

Im thinking..

The only thing I can tell you is that a friend of mine and reputable precision rifle builder will not touch Savage actions with a 10 foot pole. He will take them in and do bedding and cerakote and other things but will not touch the actions. Says they are built too sloppy to be a true precision rifle and doesn't want people coming back on him or his reputation as a rifle builder when it won't shoot 1/4 MOA like they think it should.

Those are his words, not mine so please don't take it out on me.
Aghhhh a Remington snob.... its ok man I meet them all the time. People get all pissy when a rifle that costs half of what theirs did can hang. Ill be the first to admit that savage years ago had some sloppy receivers but that was more due to not changing out the tooling as often as needed.... But now a days Ill take an out of the box savage against any off the shelf rifle that Remington makes. The smith is entitled to his opinion of course but my current savage in .308 shoots .6 groups when I do my part and feed her right.... so I dont know what to tell him :lol:
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Actually not a Remington snob. I was trying to build a budget precision rifle (I know, oxymoron....under $3k) and talked me into building on a Howa action. For a few bucks more I was able to step into the Howa and I honestly like it way more than the Savage varmint rifle that I own. But like you said, as long as you do your part, most any modern rifle will do it's job. Unless you are shooting for money or to protect life that extra 1/8 MOA really isn't the end of the world! That build sounds interesting, would like to see some pics when it's done.
Last edited by Maverick299 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 pm

The Mac was at a serious discount. Friends and family discount and all. Cost less than my PSP.

V_Lee, hop on IRC when you got some free time. I also owe you another beer. ou've convinced me to add sleep apnea to the "things to get checked for" list.

Next update: the county tax office is being a dick. Stop me if this gets too livejournally, but I figured y'all might enjoy hearing about the disconnect between knowing the laws and enforcing the laws.

Downstairs, applying for the business license: "You need to have your state firearms license to get a firearms business license."
Zoning office: "Nope, you're cool as long as you aren't doing manufacturing, manufacturing ammo, or running a range (and a couple others)"
ATF Inspector: "Nope, you're right, the only thing you still need to do business is your business license form the county and the FFL (which is in the mail)"
Back at the tax collector's desk: "Do you have your state license yet?"

This shit is killing me. Word to the wise, even my ATF inspector wasn't up on all the restrictions and limitations. For instance, according to him, all I could do gunsmithing wise was replace parts with original factory parts or clean guns. According to the ATF ruling and the packet they printed specifically regard the boundaries between gunsmithing and manufacturing, I can replace parts with all kinds of parts, repair, moutn scopes, etc as long as i'm not changing the FAET tax class (922r conversions, pistol to rfle, etc) or bringing in guns solely to swap parts and resell them. One more case of the laws being a bit difficult to understand without reading the pictured pile-o-trees.

Now I'm abusing my internet connection and downloading every "white letter" ATF has put out. I intend to be one informed motherfucker.

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Maverick299 wrote: But like you said, as long as you do your part, most any modern rifle will do it's job. Unless you are shooting for money or to protect life that extra 1/8 MOA really isn't the end of the world! That build sounds interesting, would like to see some pics when it's done.
yeah, these days bargain basement rifles can be sub MOA if you find a good load, CNC machining kicks ass, you're better off cheaping out on the rifle than on the glass anymore.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Actually not a Remington snob. I was trying to build a budget precision rifle (I know, oxymoron....under $3k) and talked me into building on a Howa action. For a few bucks more I was able to step into the Howa and I honestly like it way more than the Savage varmint rifle that I own. But like you said, as long as you do your part, most any modern rifle will do it's job. Unless you are shooting for money or to protect life that extra 1/8 MOA really isn't the end of the world! That build sounds interesting, would like to see some pics when it's done.

Oh dont worry Im gonna bug the shit out of you all when I start putting it together. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how easy it is to swap calibers in the savage action. A new barrel, a new bolt if changing cartridge head size, a new magazine follower and a go/ no go gauge with an action wrench and you can do it in less than 15 min at your kitchen table.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Just don't sell a gun to anyone that could potentially use it for a crime years down the road. Read up on the ATF's handling of the shop that sold the guns used in the Sandy Hook incident and it leaves me wondering if there was more to the story.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:08 pm

colinz wrote:Docdredd, that could turn out to be quite interesting. How about a supressor to go on the end of that barrel though? ;)

Unrelated: I'm going shooting tomorrow. :clap: I'll be using a buddies lefty shotgun, and participating in the pre-season 'Duck Shoot' that the shotgun club runs. I have no idea what I'm doing. :ohdear: :crazy:

A YHM suppressor is planned ..... But a year or so down the road.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:V_Lee, hop on IRC when you got some free time. I also owe you another beer. ou've convinced me to add sleep apnea to the "things to get checked for" list.
Usually the people you sleep with/near can tell you if you have sleep apnea or not. Sleep studies are just for calibration. Also, everyone gets sleep apnea when they're drunk as fuck. :wink: The solution, unfortunately, is to be drunk as fuck less frequently.

On-topic: I think I'm gonna get an Arsenal SGL21 later this year if the price is right. I regret seeing brand-new ones at the gun shows for 750 bucks a year or so ago and not getting one.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:Just don't sell a gun to anyone that could potentially use it for a crime years down the road. Read up on the ATF's handling of the shop that sold the guns used in the Sandy Hook incident and it leaves me wondering if there was more to the story.
My favorite part of working in a sales environment is telling people to fuck off. I'm going to need to get a pre-recorded series of sound clips for when I decide to refuse a sale due to stupidity/criminal history/etc. That said, the handling of Sandy Hook was a shitshow across the board. I've tried to follow up, but I'm willing to bet that they get their license back shortly.
docdredd wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Actually not a Remington snob. I was trying to build a budget precision rifle (I know, oxymoron....under $3k) and talked me into building on a Howa action. For a few bucks more I was able to step into the Howa and I honestly like it way more than the Savage varmint rifle that I own. But like you said, as long as you do your part, most any modern rifle will do it's job. Unless you are shooting for money or to protect life that extra 1/8 MOA really isn't the end of the world! That build sounds interesting, would like to see some pics when it's done.

Oh dont worry Im gonna bug the shit out of you all when I start putting it together. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how easy it is to swap calibers in the savage action. A new barrel, a new bolt if changing cartridge head size, a new magazine follower and a go/ no go gauge with an action wrench and you can do it in less than 15 min at your kitchen table.
This is relevant to my interests. I have a future customer who wants to take a lefty Savage .223 action and have it built into a .300BO hogsnipergat. He would have settled for the Remington AAC SD, but it's not a lefty and he doesn't want to use the surefire can.

Also picked up a couple of RJF lowers (C series) and they look pretty good. I know forged lowers are hard to fuck up, but the fit and finish varies. These, the GTO CORE15, and the Mega Arms billet lowers seem to be my favorites, aesthetically.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:23 pm

docdredd wrote:

Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmore? The reason I chose a .308 for my build is that when I tire of it, or shoot the barrel out I can simply untwist the barrel and screw a 6.5CM on there. Nothing else needs to be changed. My gunsmith sponsors and builds rifles for Team Blaster (http://www.teamblaster.net/) and they have all switched over to the 6.5 for competition and are really talking it up. Seems like a good round.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”