firearm accessories that you want that are not on the market

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: firearm accessories that you want that are not on the ma

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 pm

K. So you'll have to sacrifice some (like 5 rds) capacity, use custom mags, or the unit could be built into the floorplate exclusively, requiring a custom floorplate which bulged out on the exterior by an inch or so. Shouldn't be any more cumbersome than a Magpul Ranger plate.

EDIT: This is a 30 dollar WiFi transceiver currently available:
http://www.cutedigi.com/wireless/wifi/w ... googlebase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a $25 relative of the board (Arduino) that I am most familiar with (while sadly it's discontinued, this is how small and cheap tech is now) (likely what I'd prototype on):
Last edited by Dogan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

display of round count really that helpful?

However, rangefinding glasses with target detection or POI cursor/crosshairs sounds more useful imo. Movement detection/form recognition (idpa target, human form) and outline would be neat. /Edit *Drones do this now, probably just a matter of shrinking existing tech?

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futur ... -1C8149730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw this on nova last week. bunches of cell phone cameras used on drones to create a bazillion (technical term) megapixel yadayada. So, seems to me one cell phone camera could be used with the right software for tracking/targeting in a very similar manner.

MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Dogan wrote:
vawilderness wrote:Google Glass for shooting. HUD for round count, target detection, record, zoom, commo, shot timer, ballistics computer, time, temperature, navigation... hell, all of that. It would be amazing. If DARPA isn't on this, they need to be.
The sad thing is, with my basic background in computer coding, I know how simple of a task this really is. Seriously, the Glasses already exist. If you sacrificed some mag cap (2-5 rds) you could have a simple spring coil (like a tape measure) attached to the follower, hooked up to a small board with limited range wifi capabilities, battery pack in the bottom, charge through pads on the floorplate. Boom. Done. Let's get it to Beta.

Or better yet, have a small Faraday generator in the base of the mag, so that every time the mag moves, from recoil or other movement, you generate a small amount of electricity.

Hell, you could make this a conversion kit, with a new spring, floor plate, follower, and the board/batt/gen all in one. Use your existing mil-spec mags.
Or....You could just add bluetooth to the existing technology. http://radetec.com/

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Dogan wrote:
vawilderness wrote:Google Glass for shooting. HUD for round count, target detection, record, zoom, commo, shot timer, ballistics computer, time, temperature, navigation... hell, all of that. It would be amazing. If DARPA isn't on this, they need to be.
The sad thing is, with my basic background in computer coding, I know how simple of a task this really is. Seriously, the Glasses already exist. If you sacrificed some mag cap (2-5 rds) you could have a simple spring coil (like a tape measure) attached to the follower, hooked up to a small board with limited range wifi capabilities, battery pack in the bottom, charge through pads on the floorplate. Boom. Done. Let's get it to Beta.

Or better yet, have a small Faraday generator in the base of the mag, so that every time the mag moves, from recoil or other movement, you generate a small amount of electricity.

Hell, you could make this a conversion kit, with a new spring, floor plate, follower, and the board/batt/gen all in one. Use your existing mil-spec mags.
Or....You could just add bluetooth to the existing technology. http://radetec.com/

Had not seen that. Wonder what their price will be when/if their ever offered in the US?

Charra

Post by Charra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 am

Quality American made AK parts like trunnions, sights and kits so I don't have to mess with 922r or pay for overpriced foreign kits.

US made AK magazines that aren't polymer.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:17 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
ArmchairRacer wrote:More shotguns with ghostring sights, a brass bead on the end of the barrel is useless.
Ha. I think there are many experienced shotgunners that would beg to differ. The only thing ghost rings/rifle sights really help with is extreme long range shots.
And if they're good with a brass bead then good for them, different strokes for different folks.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:03 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
ArmchairRacer wrote:More shotguns with ghostring sights, a brass bead on the end of the barrel is useless.
Ha. I think there are many experienced shotgunners that would beg to differ. The only thing ghost rings/rifle sights really help with is extreme long range shots.
And if they're good with a brass bead then good for them, different strokes for different folks.
Not really. You called a bead useless, which is a pretty dumb statement.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't think there's an absolute. In full daylight, bead sights have killed clays and turkey (prolly mammals as well) for at least a century. If you're playing the low-light game, going indoor/outdoor, or popping slugs, a ghost ring is faster to pick up. Not as fast as a micro-red dot, but (the one's I've seen are) lower over the bore.

While I agree that calling the bead (brass or light-pipe like the HI-Viz) useless is like calling irons useless. They both have their place. I prefer the bead for sporting clays. Haven't tried rifle sights on game yet.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I don't think there's an absolute. In full daylight, bead sights have killed clays and turkey (prolly mammals as well) for at least a century. If you're playing the low-light game, going indoor/outdoor, or popping slugs, a ghost ring is faster to pick up. Not as fast as a micro-red dot, but (the one's I've seen are) lower over the bore.

While I agree that calling the bead (brass or light-pipe like the HI-Viz) useless is like calling irons useless. They both have their place. I prefer the bead for sporting clays. Haven't tried rifle sights on game yet.
I don't see how beads are any quicker than ghost rings in low light, unless you have tritium sights. They take me slightly longer to line up than any bead.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I don't think there's an absolute. In full daylight, bead sights have killed clays and turkey (prolly mammals as well) for at least a century. If you're playing the low-light game, going indoor/outdoor, or popping slugs, a ghost ring is faster to pick up. Not as fast as a micro-red dot, but (the one's I've seen are) lower over the bore.

I don't see how beads are any quicker than ghost rings in low light, unless you have tritium sights. They take me slightly longer to line up than any bead.
For me, a white dot/line in a big hoop is easier to pick up in low light than a brass bead. I might just be more used to them. I have the XS white-stripe. I haven't tried just a tritium bead, but I might do some comparisons against the Hi-Viz front bead.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm

I guess I'm the weird one, I've never been in a situation using a shotgun (mostly breaking clays) that I would have preferred a bead over ghost rings.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Actually an electronic round counter would be very simple to make and if manufactured it would be very cheap as well(think of electronic calipers, the tech is already available, this would just be a different application).

What I want?

A lever action carbine fed from a detachable(pistol or other box magazine) magazine, aimpoint making a 1-4 variable with a reticule similar to the one on the burris tac30(80 000+ hours battery life in a 1-4x with a lighted range finding reticule), and a pump 308 that uses g3/M14/FAL magazines(or a conversion for the 7600).
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:Electronic ammo counter ala M41A pulse rifle, factory built into the lower receiver of an AR style rifle. For the lulz.
I want the M41A pulse rifle with the granade launcher. Might be possible if you buy a Thompson and the airsoft conversion kit.

Or do it like this site says.
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/1 ... om-aliens/

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm

MasterMaker wrote:A lever action carbine fed from a detachable(pistol or other box magazine) magazine
Like a BLR?
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... og_=B&bg=x

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 am

Dogan wrote:
MasterMaker wrote:A lever action carbine fed from a detachable(pistol or other box magazine) magazine
Like a BLR?
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... og_=B&bg=x
Sort of but in 9mm/357/44, basically the handiness of a 357/44 lever carbine, but made even handier by faster reloads.

If someone like marlin made one in pistol calibers with a modular/interchangeable(cheap molded polymer) magwell to accept different magazines(from the top 3 most sold pistols in each caliber for instance) they would sell a shitload of them.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:I guess I'm the weird one, I've never been in a situation using a shotgun (mostly breaking clays) that I would have preferred a bead over ghost rings.
A bead is more intuitive and requires experience to get fast and accurate with. Once you do, it's much quicker and easier to properly swing on fast moving aerial targets.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 pm

More weapons that accept G3 mags.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm

I live in NY. The only thing I need right now are 5 rnd mags but I'd be better off trying to find a friggin unicorn to give me a ride to the gun shop to go get them :vmad:
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm

The way I see it, beads are for hunting upland game and clay pigeons. They are quick to acquire and easily shot with both eyes open. Ghost rings are more for precision/tactical shooting. Maybe it was because I was raised chasing pheasants and quail with a front bead shotgun but it takes me longer to get on target with ghost rings. When shooting at a flying bird you should be focusing on the target, not the sight.

Beads most definitely have their place.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Since this debate isn't the point of the thread I'll bow out and just concede that I made a dumb blanket statement. I'll keep doing what works for me, but practice with a bead more.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm

I saw a shot counter that I can't find now [big dumb writeup omitted]

Found it. http://www.leitner-wise.com/countashot.html

A 10mm PCC would be great, likewise a bullpup PCC.

I'm trying to plan out a big honking weapon light based on a bicycle handlebar/headlamp that uses one or more of the Cree XM-L LEDs. The problem is they get really hot because the housings are cheap crap and thermal protection cuts in unless you're moving at bicycle speed, so I have to figure out a reflector housing that's a nice heatsink. Any buttstock that can store CR123A's would make it a lasting light that had its weight balanced, or a little favoring the buttstock, as long as I can figure out how to route the wire properly. Meaning make it hard to snag/yank off/melt/chew through/etc.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 am

Yes, I am a Glock guy, but what I want is Sig to start making the P22X series with the option to not have a rail, and not have to pay the extra couple hundred dollars for the SAS model. I'd snap up a rail-less 220 or 229 in a heartbeat.Also, make some standard, all-stainless models again, not the ones with the extended beavertails.

Colt to make more of the series 70's. I'd give 1911's a second chance if these were less "limited production".

A Glock-19 sized .45 or 10mm. Never did like the sub-compact grips.

Armalite to offer the AR-180 again. Not the plastic abomination, but in the original format...folding stock and all, but able to accept STANAG mags. Yeah, it's dated, but it's one of the rifles I cut my teeth on.

I see all kinds of PPSh, Sterling, and Sten repro's floating around, usually built on parts kits...I know there should be some Grease gun parts still kicking around somewhere. How about some semi-auto Grease gun repro's? :crazy:
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm

AmnJoker333 wrote:I see all kinds of PPSh, Sterling, and Sten repro's floating around, usually built on parts kits...I know there should be some Grease gun parts still kicking around somewhere. How about some semi-auto Grease gun repro's? :crazy:

M3A1 you say? No idea on quality, but such a thing does exist. http://www.valkyriearms.com/m3a1.html

westside01

Post by westside01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 am

A cheap and easily replaceable clear lens for my Surefire X300, which gets burnt on powder residue after about 200 rounds, blacking out the lens. It takes way too long to clean it off, and if you use a solvent it deteriorates the rubber O-ring.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”