firearm accessories that you want that are not on the market

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: firearm accessories that you want that are not on the ma

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks for reminding me. .22lr conversion for my XDM.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 am

sworbeyegib wrote:A well priced, rugged, simple, 10mm PCC. You hearing me glock!?
This. And a 10mm M&P. Dammit Smith just make one already.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 am

silentpoet wrote:I'll have a coke. Really pretty satisfied with what is out there.
Are your people all back to their homeland and happy?
If it wasn't a "Boondock Saints" reference, forget it

A good cheap PPK clone in 9mm.

Another hell yeah on more guns 10mm, as well as .460 Rowland
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

A Z-grip for ARs

Hehe
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:44 am

sworbeyegib wrote: .22lr conversion for my XDM.
YES.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

If it doesn't exist, I make my own, or make a cheaper and better version of what's commercially available. 1 piece AK-47 folding stock adapter for an AR-15 buffer tube/stock combo for $20. Picatinny rail clamp for Remington 870. Railed MP5K handguard, etc etc. Pretty easy if you have the vision.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 am

More shotguns with ghostring sights, a brass bead on the end of the barrel is useless.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 am

ArmchairRacer wrote:More shotguns with ghostring sights, a brass bead on the end of the barrel is useless.
Ha. I think there are many experienced shotgunners that would beg to differ. The only thing ghost rings/rifle sights really help with is extreme long range shots.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 am

RickOShea wrote:Synthetic stock for a straight-grip Marlin 1894.

I would like to see that too, however...

I also like to see a lightweight pocket .380 like the Ruger LCP, but something that has a real slide lock and useable sights. The Sig P238 was so damn heavy and bulky for a .380 pocket gun, but damn the sights were nice.

I like to see more .22 conversions for rifles and handguns.

Finally, something sort of firearms related, with the popularity of airsoft guns, why hasn't Daisy made a Red Rider airsoft gun? Daisy red rider guns are great for young kids, and are a good platform for a young kid to start to learn Gun handling and marksmanship. However shooting copper BBs in suburban backyards is frowned upon, can cause property damage and injury, and in some areas it even illegal. Airsoft guns are a little safer, usually legal to shoot in the back yard, less likely to break a window, and with bio-degradable airsoft ammo, you don't have to worry about cleanup. However, marksmanship/firearms training sucks with most airsoft rifles because they come in full auto, and usually with cockeyed AR styled sights.

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am

synthetic frame comander sized 1911

10mm carbine.

a sub 100 dollar pistol. in 9mm. sold in a blister pack with an instruction dvd, practice ammo, defense ammo, holster, and a CCW permit application. Sold next to the smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.

Also, as far as having a pistol in Illinois, a case is not required unless hunting.

UNLOADED AND: Wrapped in a towel or a t-shirt or in a ziplock bag, a center console or glove box, anything that will contain the gun. I like gutted day planners.

(720 ILCS 5/24-1.6 new)
Sec. 24-1.6. Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

(c) This Section does not apply to or affect the transportation or possession of weapons that:
(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
(ii) are nor immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a
person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.

(720 ILCS 5/24-2)
Sec. 24-2. Exemptions.

(i) Nothing in this Article shall prohibit, apply to, or affect the transportation, carrying, or possession, of any pistol
or revolver, stun gun, taser, or other firearm consigned to a common carrier operating under license of the
State of Illinois or the federal government, where such transportation, carrying, or possession is incident to
the lawful transportation in which such common carrier is engaged; and nothing in this Article shall prohibit,
apply to, or affect the transportation, carrying, or possession of any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, or other
firearm, not the subject of and regulated by subsection 24-1(a)(7) or subsection 24-2(c) of this Article, which
is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor
of a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card.

Bold text added by me.

Free legal advice from the internet is worth every penny... :) The DA wants guns in cases. So does the State Police, and the County Sheriff. It's not the way the law reads though, so use your own judgement.
You will most likely get arrested, have to hire a lawyer, and go to court. Then the judge will let you go, and you will pay the lawyer more than the gun was worth. Peoria county will try to keep your ammo.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm

How about some more red dot optics that are suitable for mounting on a carry gun? Edges melted so it doesn't snag.

Ideally at a more realistic price than an RMR ($250). Like a fastfire that doesn't eat batteries so freaking fast. I'm thinking a 1-2 year always on LED.

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:11 pm

"firearm accessories that you want that are not on the market"

Magazines and ammo
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Google Glass for shooting. HUD for round count, target detection, record, zoom, commo, shot timer, ballistics computer, time, temperature, navigation... hell, all of that. It would be amazing. If DARPA isn't on this, they need to be.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-it-feels/
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 pm

vawilderness wrote:Google Glass for shooting. HUD for round count, target detection, record, zoom, commo, shot timer, ballistics computer, time, temperature, navigation... hell, all of that. It would be amazing. If DARPA isn't on this, they need to be.
The sad thing is, with my basic background in computer coding, I know how simple of a task this really is. Seriously, the Glasses already exist. If you sacrificed some mag cap (2-5 rds) you could have a simple spring coil (like a tape measure) attached to the follower, hooked up to a small board with limited range wifi capabilities, battery pack in the bottom, charge through pads on the floorplate. Boom. Done. Let's get it to Beta.

Or better yet, have a small Faraday generator in the base of the mag, so that every time the mag moves, from recoil or other movement, you generate a small amount of electricity.

Hell, you could make this a conversion kit, with a new spring, floor plate, follower, and the board/batt/gen all in one. Use your existing mil-spec mags.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Dogan wrote:
vawilderness wrote:Google Glass for shooting. HUD for round count, target detection, record, zoom, commo, shot timer, ballistics computer, time, temperature, navigation... hell, all of that. It would be amazing. If DARPA isn't on this, they need to be.
The sad thing is, with my basic background in computer coding, I know how simple of a task this really is. Seriously, the Glasses already exist. If you sacrificed some mag cap (2-5 rds) you could have a simple spring coil (like a tape measure) attached to the follower, hooked up to a small board with limited range wifi capabilities, battery pack in the bottom, charge through pads on the floorplate. Boom. Done. Let's get it to Beta.

Or better yet, have a small Faraday generator in the base of the mag, so that every time the mag moves, from recoil or other movement, you generate a small amount of electricity.

Hell, you could make this a conversion kit, with a new spring, floor plate, follower, and the board/batt/gen all in one. Use your existing mil-spec mags.
Eliminate the mag moving thing. I don't want a false count just because I move too much for the inertial sensors. Anything in the mag has to be drop proof, water-resistant, etc. Basically gruntproof.
The glasses need to be milspec ballistic material as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:

Eliminate the mag moving thing. I don't want a false count just because I move too much for the inertial sensors. Anything in the mag has to be drop proof, water-resistant, etc. Basically gruntproof.
Mag moving generates 'lectricity to power the unit - the counting will be by the tape measure related device with the tongue attached to the follower. It counts based off of the position of the follower. Basically just a potentiometer.

The electronic components can be encased in epoxy, the rest can be outside and communicate through magnets on the shaft of the tape measure by means of a magnetic pick up like on a stator. This way, the electronics are completely sealed. The ribbon for the tape measure will need to be made from somethings anti-binding, anti-corrosive which does not retain debris. Thinking some type of plastic.

As for the eyewear, there are already far more protective platforms than GLASS. It's just a matter of making lenses with the appropriate safety rating and swapping WiFi for GPS. Shit, not even that expensive comparatively. See: http://www.zealoptics.com/transcend-4752.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Dogan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Doesn't have to be, to begin with.

Just for standing range shooting, it could be the existing Google Glasses with whatever way to do the shot count. Once you've bedded that down, then move on to ruggedizing it for .mil usage.

Can't see why it would be particularly tough to figure out, though.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:Doesn't have to be, to begin with.

Just for standing range shooting, it could be the existing Google Glasses with whatever way to do the shot count. Once you've bedded that down, then move on to ruggedizing it for .mil usage.

Many ranges require at least ANZI rated eye-protection. Given my luck, I'm due for a ricochet again soon, so I'd prefer something that will do more than just stop cases from hitting my eye.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Sure. It's meant to be integrated with sunglasses and the like already, couldn't see why that wouldn't work with appropriately rated eye pro.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
TheGunslinger wrote:Doesn't have to be, to begin with.

Many ranges require at least ANZI rated eye-protection. Given my luck, I'm due for a ricochet again soon, so I'd prefer something that will do more than just stop cases from hitting my eye.
You could build it into an HUD in a small projector like a modified RDS, but that completely changes things and require you be able to view the window from your current position.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:Sure. It's meant to be integrated with sunglasses and the like already, couldn't see why that wouldn't work with appropriately rated eye pro.
Yeah, the tech should be simple enough. It's just a matter of whether it starts in the gamer community or in DARPA first. Those two have the biggest pockets. I'd bet we see it in the next couple years, and it filters down from there.

I haven't seen google glass with curved lenses yet, so the prototypes might look like BCGs. :awesome:

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:

I like it! Someone call a patent attorney (probably the first time a grunt ever uttered those words). Seriously though, batteries on a magazine would drive me crazy. Bad enough I have to remember batteries for the lights, lasers, optics, and commo... Maybe the mag-level P-mag is as good as its gonna get. Something like that could be pretty sweet on a saw or a crew served weapon though.

All that other stuff would be ridiculously sweet though.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Yeah, the tech should be simple enough. It's just a matter of whether it starts in the gamer community or in DARPA first. Those two have the biggest pockets. I'd bet we see it in the next couple years, and it filters down from there.

I haven't seen google glass with curved lenses yet, so the prototypes might look like BCGs. :awesome:
Dude, A: Did you check out the Zeal goggles I posted to? They totally look like ski goggles, and their GPS capable. Swap WiFi for GPS module and do some reqrite.

B: Fuck DARPA or gamers, the tech is HERE already. You just need a group of competent geeks and a Kickstarter account to put it all together. Fuck, I've already been involved in the beta (now post-beta) testing of one product built from the ground up (wi-fi controlled environment - tweak the temp, humidity, light by internet wasn't to difficult) this is something that, with funding and dedicated personnel, could go from "We have cash" to "We have a functional prototype that we're beta testing" in three months, and to "Here you are, John Q Public: xxx, 519.95 with conversions for two mags, additional conversion kits are 39.95, conversions done by us with Troy/Pmag/whathavyou's are 59.95."

Anyone have data on the space left at the bottom of a fully loaded AR mag? There's a hollow between the follower, floorplate, and spring right?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Nope, the spring on a USGI rests on or is locked into the floorplate.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”