SHTF ammo availability myth

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: SHTF ammo availability myth

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Browning 35 wrote:You could also stack ammo deep, invest in a bow and some arrows, get a pellet rifle and a bunch of pellets, get a wrist rocket and a bunch of ball bearings, get a rod/reel and some lures and also buy a few traps.

Other than the traps that's what I've done. Eventually I plan on getting a few of those too, they work well. My father-in-law has some out at the deer lease and there are always hogs in there.

Most of my hunting gear is focused on guns and ammo, but I do practice occasionally with the others and I've gone fishing a couple times. I don't think that the bow I have could take out a deer or a decent sized hog, it's more for practice. Could take a rabbit or a squirrel with it though.
I'm a big supporter of using a pellet rifle for small game. Possibly the only ammo you are able to stack deeper than .22lr.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Now that the thread has drifted a little to include trapping...

It is worth thinking about the fact that you do not have to limit your trapping to mammals. I mentioned up thread I live in Daytona Beach. The local Walmarts sell crab and minnow traps since we are close to the water. I really do not like fish or any other kind of seafood, but I hate starving more. I should get a couple just in case, also a new cast net. Fortunately the wife unit loves seafood and is very practical minded about gathering it herself (also gardens and wants to raise chickens and pigs) so I could get them for her as a birthday gift and kill two birds with one stone.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Crawdad and minnow traps are pretty easy to make. By easy a child can make a pretty decent one.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 pm

DaleGribble wrote:Airsoft is awful for target shooting. Those light plastic BBs catch air and wiffleball all over the place.

Ok. Thanks for saving me $150. I'll spend it on real ammunition. :D
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

rjm

Post by rjm » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

TDW586 wrote:For real survival game-gathering, I'm all about trapping. Snares and conibear traps will do a lot more good than any gun.
Could you recomend any manufacturers? I just recently planted an orchard (apples, lemons, limes[yeah, we're making PAW sprite], and olives), and soon will put in a raised garden for the wife. I figure we'll have plenty of vermin coming around and would like a passive means of dealing with them.

PS- I mean the pre made-manufactured type, not the caveman survival school ones as I've never had any luck with them either.
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 pm

What type of trap would depend on what you're trying to catch.

Conibears make an absolute mess of rabbits (had to clean that up while the kids where on nap - Mrs. NXP was NOT amused...) but I used waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to big of a conibear - jumbo muskrat size I believe - farm store had it on sale and I was tired of the bunny highway through the backyard.

A good friend at work that traps prefers paw traps because they do less damage to the pelts. The trick is knowing where the animal will be, and what it's really interested in. Get those two down and you'll have something in the trap.

Finding the bunny highway in the fenced backyard was much easier after the first good snowfall.

NXP

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

sigboy40 wrote:I recently sold 1000 rounds of 556 out of my stockpile for $750. The ammo is out there, just not on the shelves. Think of this time as a mini PAW in relation to firearms. When a full PAW happens, this will effect every aspect of society, not just one. Look at Hostess as another good example. This is why we prep before these things happen, not during, or after.
This is why I am selling my ammo and buying twinkies!

Actually Sigboy makes a good point, we should be using the current situation as a study guide for a real SHTF training excercise. Apply what we are seeing with gun and ammo, project it to gasoline, alcohol, cigarettes, water and food. If a percieved shortage of something that is not "required" to survive by a group of people that is less than half the population can cause a shortage that may take a year to recover from, what would a real demand like food or water rationing really look like?

I suppose we should be thankful that so far there has not been any craziness like fights breaking out between people in line for ammo. I guess it's true "An armed (segment) of society is a polite society".

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

[Singing] Just got me some ammoooooooooooo!

2 cases of 5.56 FMJ 55 gr @ $0.60 a round. In NYS that's like a 50% off sale after tax!

Got me some ammooooooooooooooooooo, got me some A-M-M-O.................and I'm go-ing to the ra-ange to shoot my am-mo!

Sorry, its the little things in life that make me happy.
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 pm

tedbeau wrote:This is why I am selling my ammo and buying twinkies!
Hate to break it to you, but Twinkies only have a shelf life of about 1-2 months. They go bad and grow mold if you don't keep them frozen.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hostess ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hostess ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Tyndmyr

Post by Tyndmyr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am

tedbeau wrote: I suppose we should be thankful that so far there has not been any craziness like fights breaking out between people in line for ammo. I guess it's true "An armed (segment) of society is a polite society".
For sure. Last time I hit a gun show around here, it was insane. I had to walk a quarter mile from where I parked to get inside, it was so busy. Hard to even move in the aisles. Still, everyone was polite and friendly. It was a bit like the most affable black friday sale you can imagine. Everyone definitely had a goal, and stuff was moving hella fast, but nobody was rushing or getting angry.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Unlike the folks pushing and shoving over bottled water during our Aquapocalypse in 2010.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Tyndmyr wrote:
tedbeau wrote: I suppose we should be thankful that so far there has not been any craziness like fights breaking out between people in line for ammo. I guess it's true "An armed (segment) of society is a polite society".
For sure. Last time I hit a gun show around here, it was insane. I had to walk a quarter mile from where I parked to get inside, it was so busy. Hard to even move in the aisles. Still, everyone was polite and friendly. It was a bit like the most affable black friday sale you can imagine. Everyone definitely had a goal, and stuff was moving hella fast, but nobody was rushing or getting angry.
Smash05 wrote:Unlike the folks pushing and shoving over bottled water during our Aquapocalypse in 2010.
An armed society is a polite society, not a thirsty one.....

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”