What's the most effective portable firearm?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: What's the most effective portable firearm?

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

northernxposure wrote:I had a bunch of really clever, anticedotal replies - but in the end, the PS90 SBR - TO ME - really is the best of the available options at what Pete had proposed.

I don't like the funky ammo availability, the fact that it's a bullpup, and my hesitancy is bolstered from the fact that I've only shot one (non-SBR rifle) a handful of times, but it meets my criteria. Round count in mags / size / weight / round effeciency all work - it's not really a rifle, but it's not a PCC either. It would fit the odd PDW role well in this instance.

From a practical stand point, though, I just couldn't see it happening (personally). I'd stick with a G34/G17 and enough rounds to get me the hell out of where ever it's going down most ricky tick. If that means I lap your grandma on the way out, so be it.

NXP
I think due to it's shape, it won't fit in the aforementioned bag. If it was a 20" line (the OAL) it would, but it's quite fat at both ends and tall through the middle. It comes just shy of fitting when I laid it out in a drawing. Of course, bags are flexible and it may fit in by bulging a bit here and there.

I totally agree with you though. If had to pick something I had today to stow in the bag it would be a my Glock 34 and extra mags.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Depending upon the diagonal, and if the 20" is not a concrete requirement, I'm surprised noone's brought up the FS2000 yet. 5.56, takes standard AR mags, SBR it and you could get it pretty close to 20. Even non-SBR you could take and inch and a half or so off.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am

Dogan wrote:Depending upon the diagonal, and if the 20" is not a concrete requirement, I'm surprised noone's brought up the FS2000 yet. 5.56, takes standard AR mags, SBR it and you could get it pretty close to 20. Even non-SBR you could take and inch and a half or so off.
Ha done. Never ran right. I mean 2-3 malfs per mag with any ammo. SBRing a malfy gun sounds bad, m'kay.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:Depending upon the diagonal, and if the 20" is not a concrete requirement, I'm surprised noone's brought up the FS2000 yet. 5.56, takes standard AR mags, SBR it and you could get it pretty close to 20. Even non-SBR you could take and inch and a half or so off.
Ha done. Never ran right. I mean 2-3 malfs per mag with any ammo. SBRing a malfy gun sounds bad, m'kay.
The barrel for the fs2000 was being made by a guy who didn't give a crap. It was the same guy that screwed up the patrol rifles for PSA. Anyway he's been removed from that position and a new more competent guy is making the fs2000 barrels. From the info I got the F's is a totally different animal now and runs like a top. Just make sure its a 2012 or later made gun. :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 am

No offense, but I'll wait for some intensive third-party testing. Same reason I haven't bought a new Taurus yet, though they claim they're going to do much better. Or a 1911 from most anyone. Same reason I completely stripped and inspected a Bushmaster for a buddy, because if I listened to a company about the quality of their guns I'd be rocking a Bushmaster C15 dipped in UTG and an NCStar RDS with a Kimber 1911 on my hip.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 am

Understandable, the guy that was doing those barrels isn't doing machining anymore. He's not doing QC either. :rofl: But I'm going to keep up with what my buddy says about what's up with it. He's a good dood, knows his shit and is extremely interested in making a good product. Not playing with his iPhone while making critical measurements. :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: because if I listened to a company about the quality of their guns I'd be rocking a Bushmaster C15 dipped in UTG and an NCStar RDS with a Kimber 1911 on my hip.
:lol:
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

TDW586 wrote:Personally, I would just go with a full-size pistol, with an RDS if you are trained with an RDS or willing to put in the training time. I haven't found the money or time to invest in a pistol RDS and put in the become comfortable with one, so iron sights for me. Add in 4-6 spare magazines and call it good. I feel comfortable dealing with any reasonable situation a non-LEO is likely to face in the US with that.
Even when it comes to mental exercises like this (and I only read page 1) I like to come at it with what I got or can get sooner than later. So, it'd have to be a Glock 19 and mags (and a light). I have a bag that will fit my "riot" shotty in it "Lil' Miss Blasty". Remmy 870, 18" barrel, 7 rounds, assortment of ammo in buck and slugs. It's what I got that can fit in a bag I have. Well, my AK "Mozza" has a folding stock so I'm sure I could mess with that too but I'd rather be seen on the streets with my pistol or shotty than Mozza.

If I was shopping for something a Draco (as I already have stuff to support it like mags, ammo and parts) with an SBR stamp would be nice.

Realistically and today though? My Glock 19... and pretty much what I got on me right now at this moment.

ETA: and most the shit I mentioned won't fit in a medium laptop bag PP proposed... my perspective being a large laptop bag (I have a 19" monitor laptop, thus a huge laptop bag).
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Browning 35 wrote:A pistol is going to be your main weapon in such a situation because it's the most concealable and the quickest to deploy.

Everyone has their own choices, this is mine.

As people have already said if money is no object in a perfect world an SBR would be great...
<Hi Power drool>

Sub 2000 would be interesting. I chrono'd 9mm rounds from a beretta m9a1 (5" barrel) and an 9mm AR pistol with 7.5" barrel a few weeks ago. Got a 110 fps bump on average, 10% increase in speed. Might get slightly higher bump from an even longer barrel in the 9mm.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 am

greenbeetle wrote:.
<Hi Power drool>
Thanks. :)
Sub 2000 would be interesting. I chrono'd 9mm rounds from a beretta m9a1 (5" barrel) and an 9mm AR pistol with 7.5" barrel a few weeks ago. Got a 110 fps bump on average, 10% increase in speed. Might get slightly higher bump from an even longer barrel in the 9mm.
From what I understand there's a decent increase in power from the extra barrel length on a carbine vs a pistol. Many 9mm defensive loads are supposed to be going 14-1500 FPS out of a carbine. Don't know if that changes anyone's thinking. The main advantages of having a pistol and a PCC is the possibility of caliber and mag standardization, longer sight radius and ease in shooting under stress.

I'm not exactly in a big rush, if I were involved in running gun battles daily it would be different, but I'm not. Some people I know think that rolling around with two pistols and a shotgun in the truck is overkill as it is.

I personally intend on eventually replacing that shotgun with a Kel-Tec PCC at some point. If I was still lugging that AK around I don't think I'd switch out, but with the way things are now I can't justify keeping that AK in the truck from a couple different angles (expensive to replace, public perception and not exactly LE/Jury friendly).

Wish Kel-Tec made one in 10mm, that would be badass. AFAIK the only 10mm carbine out there is that one from Oly. Those things are probably pretty expensive right about now and they don't take Glock 20 mags, so it cuts out one of the main advantages.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Something like a 300 blk SBR SCAR with would be ideal. You could have a cartridge that is more effective than pistol rounds and the design allows the stock to fold.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 am

So what is with bringing all of the artillery? I like AR pistols (can't get SBRs in California) as much as the next guy. But lugging one around all day in a briefcase, along with a CCW pistol? Uhg. That would be overkill for me. If I were going to go the briefcase route, and I already had a 9mm/.40/.45, I would take something lightweight, small, and useful for reaching out to pop something outside of pistol range. But I don't think I would go with a rifle round. A simple .22 LR would be more than enough in most cases. A marlin papoose, or one of those new 10/22s, or any of a half dozen other ones that can be broken down to fit in said bag, and still leave room for your computer, and a ton of other supplies that will likely be FAR more useful than a bigger gun. If I am approaching a situation where I would need an AR pistol instead of the .22 or the handgun, I have seriously screwed up. The zombies deserve to eat my inobservant ass. Avoiding those kinds of situations is way more important than trying to get into a pissing match with an armed mob in my book. Better to run away, go around, or hole up until they pass than try to play Rambo. I would rather get home to my family, or back to work to care for our patients. A .22 will deter most of the street rats. A handgun even more so. They would rather go for a defenseless victim.

-Mb

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:So what is with bringing all of the artillery? I like AR pistols (can't get SBRs in California) as much as the next guy. But lugging one around all day in a briefcase, along with a CCW pistol? Uhg. That would be overkill for me. If I were going to go the briefcase route, and I already had a 9mm/.40/.45, I would take something lightweight, small, and useful for reaching out to pop something outside of pistol range. But I don't think I would go with a rifle round. A simple .22 LR would be more than enough in most cases. A marlin papoose, or one of those new 10/22s, or any of a half dozen other ones that can be broken down to fit in said bag, and still leave room for your computer, and a ton of other supplies that will likely be FAR more useful than a bigger gun. If I am approaching a situation where I would need an AR pistol instead of the .22 or the handgun, I have seriously screwed up. The zombies deserve to eat my inobservant ass. Avoiding those kinds of situations is way more important than trying to get into a pissing match with an armed mob in my book. Better to run away, go around, or hole up until they pass than try to play Rambo. I would rather get home to my family, or back to work to care for our patients. A .22 will deter most of the street rats. A handgun even more so. They would rather go for a defenseless victim.

-Mb

Some of it is fantasy. Seriously what SHTF event or disaster is going to require a civilian to have an AK or AR for protection, but there will still be law enforcement around so you need to keep your AR and AK concealed and on the down low. :lol:

If your defending your home and there is no Law Enforcement around, I can see and AR or Ak. If the world goes all Mad Max, I can see you walking around with an AR or AK in the open. Otherwise if the SHTF and you need to travel and there is a possibly of running into bad people AND Law Enforcement a CC handgun and permit will probably be the best option. I would bet dollars to donuts that with one look it would take a decent cop two seconds to figure out that you are walking around with an AK in that tennis racket bag.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 am

For those recommending a .22 rifle, do you carry a .22 pistol?

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 pm

I carry two so it's the equivalent of a .44

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:I carry two so it's the equivalent of a .44

Yeah, but you have to fire them both at the same time and hit the same spot. Not easy but with practice, it's doable. That's why Akimbo carry is so awesome, 9mm become 18mm, 45 ACP become 90 ACP.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Because fuck yeah!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm

I see your Italian Stallion and raise you an Austrian...thing.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Reminds me of the drummed up Glock 18 in the opening chase scene of Skyfall.

The thing I like about the 93r is select fire burst. Sexy.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:Reminds me of the drummed up Glock 18 in the opening chase scene of Skyfall.

The thing I like about the 93r is select fire burst. Sexy.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:51 pm

:rofl:

Well, I was an 0331, so I know a little about trigger control. I imagine trying to consistent 3-round bursts at 1,300 rpm (glock 18) could be somewhat of a pain.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
gun toting monkeyboy wrote:So what is with bringing all of the artillery? I like AR pistols (can't get SBRs in California) as much as the next guy. But lugging one around all day in a briefcase, along with a CCW pistol?
Some of it is fantasy. Seriously what SHTF event or disaster is going to require a civilian to have an AK or AR for protection, but there will still be law enforcement around so you need to keep your AR and AK concealed and on the down low. :lol:

If your defending your home and there is no Law Enforcement around, I can see and AR or Ak. If the world goes all Mad Max, I can see you walking around with an AR or AK in the open. Otherwise if the SHTF and you need to travel and there is a possibly of running into bad people AND Law Enforcement a CC handgun and permit will probably be the best option. I would bet dollars to donuts that with one look it would take a decent cop two seconds to figure out that you are walking around with an AK in that tennis racket bag.
Yeah, that combo never happens.

I totally don't know what anyone was thinking.

Also kind of funny since I've carried that AK/Wilson case past cops that were visiting in the day room at the Fire station to clean it in the workroom (on the weekends when Chief isn't there) and they never gave it a second glance. They just assumed it was a sports bag.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I see your Italian Stallion and raise you an Austrian...thing.
No no no, you really need THIS double-drummed, select fire. Yes, it's real:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:46 am

I was at a range here in Minnesota speaking to a local author who helped to write the book on concealed carry (literally). He asked a similar question of the range's proprietor, a white bearded man of few words, basically what he would want to rapidly clear out a room. The author, got excited when the fellow mused for a few seconds, then left without a word.

He returned with a very nice AK74SU, the furniture a nice cherry red, with a folding stock. So I guess that's one guy's opinion.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”