Bugging Out: Concealed or Open Carry?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

williaty

Re: Bugging Out: Concealed or Open Carry?

Post by williaty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 am

I say you ought to go the full Carl Hollywood in this one. Stetson, kevlar reinforced Duster, boots, and a coach gun slung casually across your shoulder. That ought to open up a good 2m hole around you with everyone thinking you're clearly insane.

For a serious answer, I think things would need to be pretty far damned gone before the benefits of looking like a slightly less easy target outweigh the disadvantages of looking weird to LEOs.

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

Rifle, open carry. Its the only legal option where I live. Hopefully I can remedy that but not likely.
Draugrbitr

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 am

I just thought of something. Everyone keeps mentioning a low profile to avoid emergency services like national guardsman, but to be honest if it's a nationwide disaster I won't see any. For my comrades living in the major cities it'll be different, but out in rural Appalachia? I seriously doubt I'll even see any in Huntington, and I'd be long gone before any would even show up.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

MrFord
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MrFord » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Nothing wrong with being a confident ->
Skull_Hide wrote:Grey Man.

Concealed would draw less attention to you/yours but still capability to defend said same.

Mr.
Youth and Enthusiasm Will Never Defeat Old Age And Treachery
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Orwell

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Open carry, in my AO its not uncommon and it allows me to have a faster response time as it is the way I normally carry.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Everyone's responses seem sensible, especially considering the different locales they come from.
Hoppy wrote:Bug in.

if that is not an option i will put my pistol in my OWB holster and throw on a jacket or over shirt if weather permits.

im not playing this game of drug mule style concealment some people think they need to carry.

sooo. pretty much my daily carry 8-)
I'm not enthusiastic about concealing a long arm, it's not there when you need it, if you're not in an area where it's acceptable, it's a very bad thing if it's found on you, basically most of the negatives with the same number of positives you started out with when deciding. Chances are it's a lot of extra weight that doesn't help you. That said, a lot of gear is stuff you don't want to have to use, but wouldn't leave home without, i.e., your first aid kit. You lug that thing on every trip, you carry something in your EDC, but you hope it goes bad from old age. Any situation where you wish you had a rifle is worth preparing for.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm

I would think it best to conceal your firearms, drawing any sort of attention to yourself is pretty negative in any sort of hostile situation. I would think though a concealed pistol that say only you or people very close to you in your group knew about and then perhaps if you had any long guns it would be prudent to conceal them in a plausible carrying case that does not scream "HEY! THERE IS A GUN IN HERE!" possibly a disassembled rifle in a pack or something.
now i know that carrying the long gun disassembled is kinda stupid but if you got into anything possibly the pistol could buy you enough time that if you needed the rifle you could have someone in your group assemble and deploy the weapon. but i suppose such is the price of keeping a low profile.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

ZombieKillingGeek

Post by ZombieKillingGeek » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I think "hay there is a gun there" also has the underlying tone of "that target shoots back". No one looks at a member of a SWAT team or an armed soldier and thinks, I am going to shoot them and take there gun they think, no body make any sudden moves and just keep walking. Plus, in New Orleans, I am pretty sure they confiscated guns from homes. They weren't going around taking guns from people on the street, hell they didn't control the streets for a few days, the guys with the guns did. If it is really that bad and people are that desperate, do you want to have to be the guy who confiscates most likely loaded guns from desperate people on the street when it is probably essential to keeping them alive? That job has a short life expectancy.

Colorado has open carry. I would do that because it is more comfortable and all around easier. As long as you stay out of the city and the ski resorts, you will get some funny looks, but no one is going to be shocked, particularly in a dangerous scenario where you may have to defend yourself. They are more likely to say, do you mind if we walk with you?

I can't figure out how to concealed carry my pistol with my bug out bag and I wouldn't want to have to stop, take my bag off, turn it over, rifle through, find the gun, find cover and start shooting in a dangerous situation. I want to drop the bag, find cover and shoot. Plus I have always been more comfortable with a pistol strapped to my leg than shoved in my pants. Concealing a rifle kind of defeats the purpose of having the rifle as a defensive weapon in my opinion. If someone starts shooting and I have to start assembling, I am kind of screwed. Plus, I am not looking for trouble. If people/authorities don't want me in an area with my gun, I don't want to be in that area with a gun. That is the start of the plot of every high noon shootout in history.

No real reason to conceal it because I bug out to where the people aren't and the wild animals don't care either way.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:I'm not enthusiastic about concealing a long arm, it's not there when you need it, if you're not in an area where it's acceptable, it's a very bad thing if it's found on you, basically most of the negatives with the same number of positives you started out with when deciding. Chances are it's a lot of extra weight that doesn't help you. That said, a lot of gear is stuff you don't want to have to use, but wouldn't leave home without, i.e., your first aid kit. You lug that thing on every trip, you carry something in your EDC, but you hope it goes bad from old age. Any situation where you wish you had a rifle is worth preparing for.
It depends on where you have it and how deployable it is.

If it's in a vehicle and the bad guy is more than just a few yards away and isn't right next to where they could grab the barrel as it comes up in my eyes it would be just as good as a pistol. Even then there are techniques to get around that as you can just discharge the long gun into their legs.

This 92 year old guys house wasn't very spacious and all he had was a .22LR rifle, still popped the burglar with one shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQMhGPecN4&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmWVZNZF9kE&sns=em

Trying to get it out of a backpack is a different story.

I mean if it's handy and nearby.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Concealed. FL doesn't have open carry.
This. Check the various greyman and low profile threads. There are even ways to conceal a rifle relatively easily. Personally I plan to bug out in a vehicle, so that makes it even easier to carry a rifle close to hand, but out of sight.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Two videos I made when someone insisted you couldn't conceal an AR-15 and get it out in a decent manner.

Clickable videos. First one is assembling the upper and lower. Second is drawing from a concealment pack. Magazine is inserted, no rounds in the mag, which is why the bolt locks to the rear in the first one. Pack is the Eberlestock GunslingerII with the top cover (designed for longer rifles, un-necessary with anything under a 32" OAL) and the rifle is a Daniel Defense 16" Middy. Both videos were done with 1 dry-run before each, but it's not something I typically practiced for speed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 pm

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:I gonna carry my .45 Mexican-style, using the holster as a kind of codpiece.

I think my friend you have missed the poin tof Mexican carry, which is carrying without a holster just stuffing the pistol in the waistband of your pants.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Aikibiker wrote:
URBAN ASSAULT wrote:I gonna carry my .45 Mexican-style, using the holster as a kind of codpiece.

I think my friend you have missed the poin tof Mexican carry, which is carrying without a holster just stuffing the pistol in the waistband of your pants.
Nah dude, he means like this:

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:27 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Two videos I made when someone insisted you couldn't conceal an AR-15 and get it out in a decent manner.

First one is assembling the upper and lower. Second is drawing from a concealment pack. Magazine is inserted, no rounds in the mag, which is why the bolt locks to the rear in the first one. Pack is the Eberlestock GunslingerII with the top cover (designed for longer rifles, un-necessary with anything under a 32" OAL) and the rifle is a Daniel Defense 16" Middy. Both videos were done with 1 dry-run before each, but it's not something I typically practiced for speed.
That's just not fair. Can you draw it with the pack full? Does the pack keep the gun sleeve from binding with frame inserts or just teflon-coated fabric? And does the gun hit you in the tailbone at all while moving?

It looks a little goofy, but that sure works. I was pondering some kind of full-length side pocket on my BOB but successful concealment would be questionable unless it was broken down, and grabbing two halves held together by a wrapped sling, behind you, is going to take some James Bond smoothness. I considered one half on each side, the sling is already around your back as you assemble, but you somehow have to unzip two zippers behind you (para cord to the rescue) and then grab a split AR out of a pack you're wearing (hard mode) without looking like an idiot who's trying to pull a goatse (nightmare mode) and not dropping them (fuck this, I surrender).
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 am

The pack is loaded in that video. It works, I'm not sure how. I can jog or awkwardly sprint with it on. No issues with it bumping my legs or anything, and the bottom of it rolls up and the whole thing compresses when empty.

The way to do it broken down is to practice doing LAW drills. Hit cover ASAP, and as soon as you start to hit the ground the pack is already on the ground. Unzip the dedicated pouch or whatever, get the gat out, snap it together, and chamber a round. Leave the mag in (at least a 10 or 20 rounder) to make it quick. That takes more practice than the overhead draw with the Eberlestock packs.

My next pack will be an X3 Lo-Drag, same scabbard with a more sleek pack.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:28 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:

Shabingo!

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 am

Why is that barrel so short?

And the caliber so small?

Finch

Post by Finch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am

assuming not actuall zombies... CCW per normal maybe on an OWB under my jacket as i sometimes carry.

If id run into a "check point" or something like that i want it to be a quick "headed west sir" and on my way.
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

MacAttack wrote:Why is that barrel so short?

And the caliber so small?
I'd like to think that attitude(and alcohol :lol:) makes up all the difference.

:)

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

ZombieKillingGeek

Post by ZombieKillingGeek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:

Yeh that looks great at first glance, but that SOB always shoots blanks.

Plus it is completely useless when it gets cold...

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 am

I've been looking at Eberlestock packs for a while too, in order to conceal a loaded AR with reasonable accessibility.

Of course it will be entirely intending on the situation, but in a bug out situation I'm assuming whatever crisis is fairly recent and there are still law enforcement officials attempting to keep order. In that case, I'd conceal it until a felt there was an imminent threat from a non-LEO.

firerat

Post by firerat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 am

If I'm in any situation where I'm leaving my house and deem a rifle necessary, I'm probably not too worried about concealment. I have to be pretty imaginative to think of something that qualifies. Not saying it couldn't happen, but plan for the most likely right?

That being said, my AMD 65 fits nicely in a backpack though deployment is kinda meh. Gotta work on that I guess if I do decide to take it with me.

I carry concealed everywhere I go as does my wife, so that's a no brainer. But in some sort of we need to get the fuck out of here senario, I may stuff an extra pistol or 2 in the bags.

I'd hate to think of a situation where hoofing it was the name of the game, but the way traffic is here on a normal day, in a SHTF situation, it's going to be a parking lot. If my car is a viable option, at least 1 rifle is coming but it's remaining hidden. Well.

My whole plan for just about every scenario I can think of revolves around the grey man idea. I'm not about to go out and welcome a fight. I want to look like a petrified moron with a backpack just like everyone else running around me. No cammo, no alice packs, and certainly no rifle or open carried pistol.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

westside01

Post by westside01 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:33 pm

If you want to lose any possible element of surprise, advertise your capabilities to defend yourself, and generally invite to be shot on site and have your gear stolen, then OPEN CARRY is the way to go. There are just way too many options of holsters and low profile vests that can be worn under a loose fitting windbreaker to justify OPEN CARRY.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 pm

westside01 wrote:If you want to lose any possible element of surprise, advertise your capabilities to defend yourself, and generally invite to be shot on site and have your gear stolen, then OPEN CARRY is the way to go. There are just way too many options of holsters and low profile vests that can be worn under a loose fitting windbreaker to justify OPEN CARRY.
Ya know, that claim comes up a lot, but I've never seen data about anyone OC'ing outside of a warzone or a uniform who was targeted, or had their gun stolen, or anything of the sort.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”