Went to a Gun show Today

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Went to a Gun show Today

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:29 pm

It was a bizarro event in many aspects.

I saw one of these for the first time and was truly puzzled by it. WTF is this and why would someone want to hang a 4 inch barreled .22lr on their AR or SCAR. It uses 10/22 magazines.

http://zipfactory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were available for sale for $200. I almost bought one for shits and giggles but decided I had better use of $200 than this thing.

Prices for everything just blew me away. There was inventory for sale and available but at prices that made me even me say N.A.F.C.

There were Saigas priced at $1,300, Mini 14 priced at $1,500, the cheapest AR I saw was used at $1,800 the new ones were $2,200 and up to $3,500. There was a SCAR (last one according to the sign) at $4,400.

Mags were $45 for Pmags.

Ammo was limited to two vendors with little stock. BTW 100 rounds of .22lr were selling for $18.95.

There were a lot of people. I have never seen so many people at the show. The ATF also was there with a table for the first time. I embarrassed myself accidently stumbled and spilled my coke on their table( :wink: ). I am getting clumsy in my old age.

However, people were not buying, NOLA is not a rich community and likely the prices scared off a lot of buyers.

The inventory of anything Glock was limited. I spoke to a few of the vendors and they said they had everything in the store at the show. On man said he was not expecting another shipment for 60 days from Glock. On the other hands lots of 1911 from various makers were there.

There were a lot more people selling firearms mags and ammo. I had never before seen people selling ammo at this show. These folks did not seem to be selling anything though. Some of their prices were just plain silly $20 for a 20 round box of PMC 5.56mm for instance.

Nothing earth shattering but well outside of the box labeled normal.

Sins

Re: Went to a Gun show Today

Post by Sins » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I have no clue wtf that gun is supposed to be or whether it's worth $200 or not.

All I know is I just had a vision of it being pulled against dirty harry, and it kinda made me chuckle.

Jed_Eckert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Planet Terror, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later

Post by Jed_Eckert » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure I see how you even hold it.

Message Sent via Mobile Digital Comm Terminal
Joe

Build a zombie a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a zombie on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:11 pm

This came up a while back. I seem to recall the consensus being decidedly meh...

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=103040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kinda fun looking, but decidedly useless...

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 pm

i think it kinda fits in with that kabar pistol bayonet. is it useful for anything? not really. would i want one? hell yes(probably in a larger caliber though)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Jed_Eckert wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure I see how you even hold it.

The pictures here do not show the magazine. When a 30 round 10/22 magazine is inserted it kinda sorta forms a handle. That said it appears to attach to the picatiny rails on the bottom (or side or top I guess) of an AR.

If you look at 3:05 of this video you can see it mounted on a SCAR. This is what the dealer was pushing...add a .22lr to your AR. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EO0Zh4Q8Iw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Last edited by raptor on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm

raptor wrote:

The pictures here do not show the magazine. When a 30 round 10/22 magazine is inserted it kinda sorta forms a handle. That said it appears to attach to the picatiny rails on the bottom (or side or top I guess) of an AR.

If you look at 3:05 of this video you can see it mounted on a SCAR. This is what the dealer was pushing...add a .22lr to your AR. :?

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EO0Zh4Q8Iw#![/YouTube]
Don't forget to add the tax stamp, since your AR/SCAR will then be the stock for an SBR.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Wait, can the zip be mounted under a 10/22? Double-barrel .22LR? Strap it on with blue phone cord!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm

shrimpwd wrote:Wait, can the zip be mounted under a 10/22? Double-barrel .22LR? Strap it on with blue phone cord!

Shoot just mount 4 on a quad rail and you have a quad barreled WTF.

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 pm

I went to the gun show here in Norfolk today. Cheapest lower i seen was 350 minus tax and stuff. I did find some stuff to do a reloading with for a good price. Picked up a book on the Garand's some clips for the sks and just walked around watched people pay way to much for a AR 15.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah, kinda weird. Under slung .22, not sure about that. What would be nice is a small .410 with a 2-3 round mag. Of course I can keep dreaming. :awesome:

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm

raptor wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EO0Zh4Q8Iw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Ahahahahaha that video is ridiculous! Like fucking ridiculous to the max :lol:

from the "Operators, Welcome" in Helvetica or whatever to the Hans Zimmer Batman music mixed with shitty-ass grainy slomo :rofl:

Now PWS can make a promo video!

http://youtu.be/Obm0DOxS04I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Wtf! I'm on a notification list for those .22 pistols and have never received an alert that they're available. Lazy assholes
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Anyone else been to a gun show within last couple weeks? I'm looking for some .223/5.56 at a show coming up here in about 3 weeks, however with what is going on lately and being in IL I am not figuring on finding anything.
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Aim2Maim wrote:Anyone else been to a gun show within last couple weeks? I'm looking for some .223/5.56 at a show coming up here in about 3 weeks, however with what is going on lately and being in IL I am not figuring on finding anything.
There was 5.56mm available but the price was silly. $16.99 for a box of 20 and 500 rounds @ $400.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Aim2Maim wrote:Anyone else been to a gun show within last couple weeks? I'm looking for some .223/5.56 at a show coming up here in about 3 weeks, however with what is going on lately and being in IL I am not figuring on finding anything.
They have a monthly 'big' gun show here in Denver every month. I hated it before any of this crap because it was all overpriced guns, gimmicks, 'collectible' stuff, etc. I usually hit is twice a year for the $8 people watching or to pick up some crap mags for training. I can't bring myself to go now. Glocks were 600 there last year. I can't even imagine what crap is going for now. For a high population of shooters, Denver has a pretty awful gun show.

It might be worth it for you to go just for the wow factor. I doubt you'll find 556 at anywhere near reasonable prices in IL (or anywhere really). People are getting more realistic with pricing on armslist for ammo here, I haven't seen any in stores. Online has crashed out websites every time I get an instock email, and can't do shit from my phone when that's going on. Wideners held up, but was too pricey for me. I'm not looking for semi-defensive type ammo, I look for target ammo. 75c a round is not target ammo in my book :words:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

I figured thats what I would find there if anything. I'm looking for some target ammo as well. Picked up 300 rds of tulammo at walmart 2 weeks ago and since then they have had nothing. I was hoping to maybe find something like that or wolf but that was my fear $300+ for 500 rds.
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 am

Went to a show Saturday just for the giggles and to see if I could unload a pistol or two.

Got there and hour after it opened and it took a 30 minute wait in line to just get in. It was nuts. people were driving around the building hanging guns out of their cars selling them.

I was in the show about 30 minutes and sold both weapons for everything I was asking for. Which was more than I bought them for originally. Though it turned out to be about 5% to 10% less than the dealers were asking.

The gun evil gun prices were just stupid high. There was an AR for 3300 bucks at one table. And the dealer was serious about. Stripped lowers were going for 350 bucks. STRIPPED!
And guys were in line buying them.

Ammo was priced I think by its weight in gold. If you could find it.

Mags were going for kings ransoms. Pmags were 35 bucks each new. 30 bucks used. I did find one guy selling a skid of AR mags for 20 bucks each, all new and aluminum. With anti tilt followers. Best deal at the show.

It was literally crazy city.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 pm

It wasn't a gun show, but a loud and clear example of the current climate.

I went into my local BiMart, where I usually get ammo, just to poke around. When I saw the ammo section my head about spun off my shoulders. No 9, no 45, no 22s/lr/mag, no 223, no 308, no 12g, nothing except for 38spc, 243, 270 and 30-06. That is it, end of list.

Checked the local pennysaver (free classifieds paper). Thousand dollar "Romanian AK". 2800 dollar Bushmaster.

Sweet baby FSM.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Dogan wrote:It wasn't a gun show, but a loud and clear example of the current climate.

I went into my local BiMart, where I usually get ammo, just to poke around. When I saw the ammo section my head about spun off my shoulders. No 9, no 45, no 22s/lr/mag, no 223, no 308, no 12g, nothing except for 38spc, 243, 270 and 30-06. That is it, end of list.

Checked the local pennysaver (free classifieds paper). Thousand dollar "Romanian AK". 2800 dollar Bushmaster.

Sweet baby FSM.

Wow, you've only been here since 2010? Seems like longer. I'm guessing you don't recall 2008 then. BiMart I think finally removed their "4 boxes per caliber per customer" restriction in 2010.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 pm

The local Wal-Mart is out of just about everything, including 30-06 and the oddball calibers only one guy in town buys.

As for ads in the paper, my favorite is the one guy in the next town trying to sell a DPMS AR for 5 grand. The sad thing is he'll get the money too.

I really need to check the local hardware store and see what kind of ammo inventory they have left since few folks in my AO think to check there. My luck, they're hit just as bad as Wal-Mart. :gonk:

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm

raptor wrote:It was a bizarro event in many aspects.

I saw one of these for the first time and was truly puzzled by it. WTF is this and why would someone want to hang a 4 inch barreled .22lr on their AR or SCAR. It uses 10/22 magazines.

http://zipfactory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were available for sale for $200. I almost bought one for shits and giggles but decided I had better use of $200 than this thing.

Prices for everything just blew me away. There was inventory for sale and available but at prices that made me even me say N.A.F.C.

There were Saigas priced at $1,300, Mini 14 priced at $1,500, the cheapest AR I saw was used at $1,800 the new ones were $2,200 and up to $3,500. There was a SCAR (last one according to the sign) at $4,400.

Mags were $45 for Pmags.

Ammo was limited to two vendors with little stock. BTW 100 rounds of .22lr were selling for $18.95.

There were a lot of people. I have never seen so many people at the show. The ATF also was there with a table for the first time. I embarrassed myself accidently stumbled and spilled my coke on their table( :wink: ). I am getting clumsy in my old age.

However, people were not buying, NOLA is not a rich community and likely the prices scared off a lot of buyers.

The inventory of anything Glock was limited. I spoke to a few of the vendors and they said they had everything in the store at the show. On man said he was not expecting another shipment for 60 days from Glock. On the other hands lots of 1911 from various makers were there.

There were a lot more people selling firearms mags and ammo. I had never before seen people selling ammo at this show. These folks did not seem to be selling anything though. Some of their prices were just plain silly $20 for a 20 round box of PMC 5.56mm for instance.

Nothing earth shattering but well outside of the box labeled normal.

Seems like that Zip gun would make a decent pistol, but to hang it off of a rail on another weapon seems silly. Maybe if it had a threaded barrel you can uses it as a supressed .22 hanging on some loud ass rifle or shotgun, but other than that its silly.

I have not been to a gun show recently, but I noticed the same issues with LGS. Either prices are insane or the shelves are bare. I also hate that the panic is affecting all gun and ammo sales. I don't understand why things like Leverguns, .22lr ammo, revolvers, and other non AWB related stuff is priced higher or limited stock.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

I kinda like it. then again I like anything that goes bang and uses GP.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Buddy went to a gunshow in Oklahoma about 2 weeks ago... 556/223 was $1 a round and selling. PMags were 65 to 75$ depending on the table and selling, and there were almost no AR-Uppers for sale (Those that were had doubled in price).

He said that all the dealers that normally had 300 or 400 AR-Uppers for sale on pegs, instead had tables full of complete "$800" AR-15s (No Mags) priced at $1500+

He also said that the FEW AR-15 Stripped Lowers he could find were $400+ for the basic S&W M&P ones that are normally $130

He didnt mention this, but I hear Bx-25 Mags for 10/22s are going for almost $100 a piece right now, I have 5 on back order and SO not selling IF I get them.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”