Smith & Wesson Sales up 48% From Q4 2011

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Smith & Wesson Sales up 48% From Q4 2011

Post by Pilsung » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 pm

http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtm ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gun sales soaring. Must be that darned Mayan Calender.

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Smith & Wesson Sales up 48% From Q4 2011

Post by thechin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Can't wait until late Jan when everyone's going to be trying to sell their stuff because aliens didn't invade. Got my sights on a used HK.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:09 pm

That's my hope too. When all the dire predictions for Dec 21st and "gun grabber" prognostications fail to materialize, I'm hoping to pick up some decent deals.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 am

I think this has more to do with the Shield and Avengers, than Mayans.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 am

ultra magnus wrote:I think this has more to do with the Shield and Avengers, than Mayans.
Correct and besides everyone knows Mayans were GLock fanboys
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 am

ultra magnus wrote:I think this has more to do with the Shield and Avengers, than Mayans.
Its funny, no gun store in my area has one the shelves for people to even look at. One store I go at least has the blue "holster mold" to fondle. I can't believe how many people have bought/pre-ordered that gun, sight unseen.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
Its funny, no gun store in my area has one the shelves for people to even look at. One store I go at least has the blue "holster mold" to fondle. I can't believe how many people have bought/pre-ordered that gun, sight unseen.
Even the blue gun is hard to find for the Shield, so some holster makers are saying.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Didn't Ruger have to suspend taking new orders for the second quarter of this year, because of they were inundated with orders last January and February.....

ETA:
Sturm Ruger said it's resumed normal acceptance of orders from distributors, and business is good.

"Demand for our products is very strong, and the current backlog remains significantly above year-ago levels," the company said in announcing it will again accept new orders. "Our production and shipments in the first quarter of 2012 increased more than 50% from the first quarter of 2011 and remain very strong."

The maker of pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns, mainly for the sport hunting market, was supply-constrained in first quarter. The good news is orders have been rising. On March 21, it said it had received an overwhelming 1.2 million orders during the quarter, more guns than it made in all of 2011.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am

RickOShea wrote:Didn't Ruger have to suspend taking new orders for the second quarter of this year, because of they were inundated with orders last January and February.....
They were not taking new orders on 10/22s, they announced, early this spring, if memory serves me. It caused many people I know to immediately purchase many 10/22s they could find, in hopes of being able to sell them for profit when the shortage arose. I'm still seeing 10/22s everywhere I go, so... no clue how that is panning out.

If Ruger mentions any 'shortage' in production or inability to manufacture as many as demanded, I am chalking it up to a marketing ploy.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 am

JTNieman wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Didn't Ruger have to suspend taking new orders for the second quarter of this year, because of they were inundated with orders last January and February.....
They were not taking new orders on 10/22s, they announced, early this spring, if memory serves me. It caused many people I know to immediately purchase many 10/22s they could find, in hopes of being able to sell them for profit when the shortage arose. I'm still seeing 10/22s everywhere I go, so... no clue how that is panning out.

If Ruger mentions any 'shortage' in production or inability to manufacture as many as demanded, I am chalking it up to a marketing ploy.
On March 21, it said it had received an overwhelming 1.2 million orders during the quarter, more guns than it made in all of 2011.

Since Sturm, Ruger is a publicly traded company, wouldn't a false inflation of orders numbers get it into some sort of trouble with the SEC?
Last edited by RickOShea on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am

RickOShea wrote:
JTNieman wrote:

On March 21, it said it had received an overwhelming 1.2 million orders during the quarter, more guns than it made in all of 2011.
For guns in general or what? Did that say they were stopping receipt of orders or...

Link, so I don't have to trust the italicized text is some sort of authority? :P

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am

ah, they've since resumed, ok, that makes sense.

I still find it funny that they made all this news declaration but yet I never saw a shortage of them on the shelves around here, and the "collectors" aka "price gougers" apparently never got to see their money returned. Seemed much ado for an apparent nothing.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm

JTNieman wrote:I still find it funny that they made all this news declaration but yet I never saw a shortage of them on the shelves around here, and the "collectors" aka "price gougers" apparently never got to see their money returned. Seemed much ado for an apparent nothing.
As long as they can manage to keep up with demand, then good on 'em. But I can only imagine that this....
....made more than a couple of the office-heads in Southport explode.

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm

High point pistol sales seem to not have changed at all. Wonder why that is? 8-)
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

thechin wrote:High point pistol sales seem to not have changed at all. Wonder why that is? 8-)
Actually the "Hipoint guy" at the show this weekend has been selling more. He also has been moving HP carbines like the devil, whereas Sub2ks are sitting on their displayes priced at $500+ (.40S&W) with nothing more than the occasional "OH IS THAT A- oh, fuck, a .40, nevermind."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”