3D Models for firearms parts?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Ronnin1979

3D Models for firearms parts?

Post by Ronnin1979 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 am

First, I apologize if this thread already exists, but I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for in a search. Does anyone know a sight where you can find 3D models of individual firearms parts, and accessories for a 3D printer, and CNC system? I've already gotten a few from Thingiverse, and CNCgunsmith, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a larger database. Specifically, I'm looking for a 1911 frame with the integrated light rail. Thanks.

BlakeS

Re: 3D Models for firearms parts?

Post by BlakeS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm looking for the same thing ! My office just
Got a really nice 3d printer and there letting us use it
For free after hours. If you find anything let me know and I'll do the same
For you.

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Is there anything specific you're looking for?

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

I would assume most of that data is proprietary.

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 am

It depends. Some of it that I have found is open use, especially the CNC Gunsmith files, he encourages people to build from his files.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Ronnin1979 wrote:It depends. Some of it that I have found is open use, especially the CNC Gunsmith files, he encourages people to build from his files.
Yeah that's what I meant. Just like software, I'd assume most of the good stuff was kept private.

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:49 pm

a lot of it is, but I've found a few really good things lately. I've been slowly setting myself up as an 07 FFL/ 02 SOT, and a lot of people have been helping with that. I'm assuming they'll be hoping for a favor later. :lol:

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 pm

BlakeS wrote:I'm looking for the same thing ! My office just
For free after hours.

A quick side question. Which 3D printer is it? Specifically, which company made it?

I have been investing in two of the major 3D printing companies, but sold my position in one of them.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah.....
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

firerat

Post by firerat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Regular Guy wrote:

Yeah.....
Good lord.....
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

firerat wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

Yeah.....
Good lord.....

Depends on the material you use. I've read posts where people were complaining about the lower warping during the print, etc. You have to you the really dense, high end plastics, or yeah, that will happen.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Ronnin1979 wrote:
firerat wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

Yeah.....
Good lord.....

Depends on the material you use. I've read posts where people were complaining about the lower warping during the print, etc. You have to you the really dense, high end plastics, or yeah, that will happen.
Yeah, so not worth it...

We have a really high end rapid prototyper that can take all sorts of fancy plastics, the cheap stuff for it is about $10/cubic inch.

AR lowers aren't that expensive...

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Yea, that's nothing to do with the design. Evidence of the firearm working, even temporarily, proves the design is fine. Besides, that's not even an issue that needs visited - there are tons of milspec receiver drawings out there, and gun enthusiasts 3d modelers and CAD folk have had accurate drawings for many years.

The geometric design is not new as it's just a direct reproduction of the same design in a new material.

There are many plastics that can be used, he obviously used one that wasn't good enough. That's what experimentation is about.

Also, I'd rather see it tested with 5.56, than a 5.7 upper. Just to eliminate variables at first. /shrug

It's not a viable replacement for the standard hard anodized 7075 receiver. It's a hobbyist thing, an enthusiast endeavor, and a bit of a movement to empower the home builder, which is legal, despite myths to the contrary.

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Until I saw the above video I had an unrational fear that some criminal would use a 3D printer to mass product lower receivers and sell them on the street. Now I kinda hope that the criminals would do that instead of selling stolen guns that actually function. If anything the success rate of armed robberies would drop.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

zenlunatic

Post by zenlunatic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Um I'm pretty manufacturing of firearms encompasses a whole slew of legalities which OP should look into.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm

thechin wrote:Until I saw the above video I had an unrational fear that some criminal would use a 3D printer to mass product lower receivers and sell them on the street. Now I kinda hope that the criminals would do that instead of selling stolen guns that actually function. If anything the success rate of armed robberies would drop.
I'd hate to know what it's like living in fear that criminals might do bad things. I hope it doesn't freak you out too much, but criminals, being criminal, don't need 3d printers to do bad things, and that includes dealing in stolen firearms.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:28 pm

JTNieman wrote:
thechin wrote:Until I saw the above video I had an unrational fear that some criminal would use a 3D printer to mass product lower receivers and sell them on the street. Now I kinda hope that the criminals would do that instead of selling stolen guns that actually function. If anything the success rate of armed robberies would drop.
I'd hate to know what it's like living in fear that criminals might do bad things. I hope it doesn't freak you out too much, but criminals, being criminal, don't need 3d printers to do bad things, and that includes dealing in stolen firearms.
To piggyback, they're much more likely to break in to someone's home (low overhead) then buy the equipment to do 3D printing (high overhead) especially since most crimes are committed with handguns, not ARs.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm

I feel kind of bad as I know that must have sucked for the guy, but I actually chuckled a bit when the AR quit working and the stock fell off. :D

OP : The list of links in these two might help you out.

http://wikiweps.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Gun+receiver

Also here's a blueprint for a 1911.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uploads/ ... eprint.pdf

I guess you'd have to transfer the dimensions to a file and that would be extra work, doable though.

Good luck.
Last edited by Browning 35 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

BlakeS

Post by BlakeS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm

zenlunatic wrote:Um I'm pretty manufacturing of firearms encompasses a whole slew of legalities which OP should look into.
As long as its for yourself not to sell there are very few legalities , we talked about it on here a while back in a thread about a guy that was combining a Sks and another rifle to make his own frankistin gun.

BlakeS

Post by BlakeS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm

AnonEmous wrote:
BlakeS wrote:I'm looking for the same thing ! My office just
For free after hours.

A quick side question. Which 3D printer is it? Specifically, which company made it?

I have been investing in two of the major 3D printing companies, but sold my position in one of them.
Stratasys I believe

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 pm

zenlunatic wrote:Um I'm pretty manufacturing of firearms encompasses a whole slew of legalities which OP should look into.
I know the rules and regs of manufacturing, hence the comment about getting an 07 FFL.

Ronnin1979

Post by Ronnin1979 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Browning 35 wrote:I feel kind of bad as I know that must have sucked for the guy, but I actually chuckled a bit when the AR quit working and the stock fell off. :D

OP : The list of links in these two might help you out.

http://wikiweps.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Gun+receiver

Also here's a blueprint for a 1911.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uploads/ ... eprint.pdf

I guess you'd have to transfer the dimensions to a file and that would be extra work, doable though.

Thanks! Every little bit helps.
Good luck.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 am

Ronnin1979 wrote:
I know the rules and regs of manufacturing, hence the comment about getting an 07 FFL.
There's nothing illegal about manufacturing your own firearms as an unlicensed person so long as they are not NFA regulated items.

But with the 07/02, you can at least sell them, if they're worth a shit, I guess. :)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”