Cub scout altoids tin

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeepgunman

Cub scout altoids tin

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 am

Im a Tiger cub den leader, all the scouts have finished the requirements for thier rank and will be awarded it at our next pack meeting. So now that all the requirements have been met,Ive been having some pretty cool den meetings. first aid, compass reading etc. For my next meeting Im having them pack thier own altoids survival tins! My question is do you guys have any other ideas for what to put in them. Ive looked at a lot websites and such, but sometimes its better to hear some other ideas. Remember the contents have to be geared towards 1st graders. Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Another note:
The Redcross has a first aid for children today (FACT) course. Offered for free! Its a six hour course didvide into 6, one hour classes!
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Cub scout altoids tin

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am

You sound like exactly the kind of den leader I wish I had when I was into scouting. My recollection of cub scouts is vague memories of way too many key chain lanyards, mothers day craft presents and a robotic pusuit of arrowhead patches that involved little, if any practical fieldcraft. We never went camping, not once. Oops, was I being bitter? Yes, yes I was. Sorry.

Are there any things that are off limits to your scouts age group? Can they have knives, fire starting materials, or other "dangerous" items?

I tend to approaching these kinds of all-in-one kits by breaking them down into functions:

Firestarting
Shelter
First Aid
Signaling
Sustenence
Last edited by majorhavoc on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 am

majorhavoc wrote:You sound like exactly the kind of den leader I wish I had when I was into scouting. My recollection of cub scouts is vague memories of way too many key chain lanyards, mothers day craft presents and a robotic pusuit of arrowhead patches that involved little, if any practical fieldcraft. We never went camping, not once. Oops, was I being bitter? Yes, yes I was. Sorry.

Are there any things that are off limits to your scouts age group? Can they have knives, fire starting materials, or other "dangerous" items?

I tend to approaching these kinds of all-in-one kits breaking them down into functions:

Firestarting
Shelter
First Aid
Signaling
Sustenence
Firestarting and knives are not of the question for my son. Ive tought my kids that matches and knives are TOOLS not TOYS. However some of the other parents might not my share in my logic. I believe the power of child to do great things for themselves and others should not be underestimated. Every year there are stories of scouts saving the lives of others, as young as 7yrs old. When I find them I print them out and hang them on the wall of our scout room.

And thank you!
Last edited by jeepgunman on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Adams

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 am

jeepgunman wrote: I belive the power of child to do great things for themselves and others should not be underestimated.
LIke I said, you sound like a helluva scout leader. You may have already found it, but http://www.instructables.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a treasure trove for Altoids tin survival projects, as well as a bajillion other fabulously cool things that you could do with your (lucky) young charges.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/sear ... n+survival

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 am

I was a Cub Scout leader for several years. We would award a knife to the Cubs once they demonstrated a complete knowledge of the safety rules - all covered in another thread.

For a Tiger Cub den I would suggest -
Tin
button Compass/thermometer combo (discuss wind chill)
flat whistle (discuss signaling)
Bandaids to go along with the ARC training
Small roll of duct tape ^^
Oven bag (for water carry)
Polish & wax inside for 'signal mirror'
Wrap tin in orange paracord.

Won't fit in tin, but a drum liner rolled (or folded) and held with paracord should fit in a uniform pocket (IIRC) as a poncho/wind shield.

For fun, braid a paracord bracelet or even a paracord belt! Use an inexpensive
snap link or carabiner for the 'buckle'. Cool stuff for a young'un.
Last edited by TacAir on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

foxx

Post by foxx » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am

Lots of good ideas here. Fire starting is tricky for that age kid/parents mostly, same as knives. Depending on you AO, maybe some fish hooks, and practice using the inner strands from paracord, or just toss in some fishing line. Teach them how to make a simple fishing pole out of a limb.
I've seens ome "Survival cards" from ESEE that have some basic rescue knowledge on them. Stuff like international signals for rescue, well like these...http://www.eseeknives.com/nav-survival-card.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks, cool site!

John Adams

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 am

foxx wrote: I've seens ome "Survival cards" from ESEE that have some basic rescue knowledge on them. Stuff like international signals for rescue, well like these...http://www.eseeknives.com/nav-survival-card.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Im going to order some of these. Cant wait for our next hike to put our tins in action!

John Adams

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm

We're working on survival kits with our Pack as well. We teach our youth Hug-a-Tree and are building their kits based on that SOP. We focus on FAK, Shelter, Signalling, Water and Food. They've all made a small kit and now we're working on expanding that to a backpack kit, and adding water, shelter components, an extra sweater/socks, etc.

Getting rescued (and surviving until you do) is most important in my mind. Fire and sharps aside, in an Altoid's sized kit, I'd go for:

-a whistle
-a signal mirror
-keychain LED
-hard candy
-alcohol swabs
-emergency contact card
-oven bag
-brightly coloured duct tape
-dental floss
*If they've "earned" fire, some vaseline cotton balls and strike anywhere matches and/or a small ferro rod & striker
*If they've "earned" sharps, a small folding knife

An Altoid's tin is limited, especially in terms of the space for shelter components. A mylar blanket or emergency poncho could be secured to the outside of the tin by wrapping the tin in paracord.

One thing I LOVE to see is groups that build kits and then USE them. Lessons in natural shelter building and signalling, and a Hug-A-Tree simulation are great ways to get the youth to actually think about and use their kits.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:12 pm

bacpacjac wrote:We're working on survival kits with our Pack as well. We teach our youth Hug-a-Tree and are building their kits based on that SOP. We focus on FAK, Shelter, Signalling, Water and Food. They've all made a small kit and now we're working on expanding that to a backpack kit, and adding water, shelter components, an extra sweater/socks, etc.
WOW. What a great program. I had never heard of that one. To bad I couldnt find any local courses. I think Ill use some of thier progam at future meetings! Thank you very much for sharing! ZS is awesome.

John Adams

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:55 pm

jeepgunman wrote:
bacpacjac wrote:We're working on survival kits with our Pack as well. We teach our youth Hug-a-Tree and are building their kits based on that SOP. We focus on FAK, Shelter, Signalling, Water and Food. They've all made a small kit and now we're working on expanding that to a backpack kit, and adding water, shelter components, an extra sweater/socks, etc.
WOW. What a great program. I had never heard of that one. To bad I couldnt find any local courses. I think Ill use some of thier progam at future meetings! Thank you very much for sharing! ZS is awesome.
It's a lot of fun, jeepgunman. We start them in Beavers (5-7 year olds) by simply making them wear a lanyard with a whistle and teaching them Hug-A-Tree. We get them to make a survival kit soon after they join the pack and then spend time throughout their Pack years building on that. Just getting them to bring it on a hike is a challenge at first. The next is understanding why. Once they get into that habit, or better yet, sooner, we get them to throw it in a backpack with a water bottle and flashlight. Then we add some extra clothes, shelter, etc. It's a gradual process for most of them. Some, like my son, take to it right away and want to carry the kitchen sink at 6.

Something that is one of our cardinal rule is that we take them out at least once a month for a hike, river clean-up, canoe trip, etc. We also go camping at least once every 3 months. Giving them lots of time to practice their skills and using their gear makes a huge difference.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Xale D

Post by Xale D » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:46 pm

First, good on ya for getting involved and staying involved!

I'd say forget the paracord, use dental floss. I've found something like a FlossCard fits perfectly into a BOAT.

And let us know what you settle on.
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Sounds like a great idea. But remember firestarting is not allowed for Tigers, same thing for knives. Regardless of our personal opinions on those items, as adult leaders we promised to follow the BSA policies that are set for scouting. Knives ( only certain types) are allowed after a Cubscout in the rank of Bear earns the Whittling Chip, and Webelos scouts are the ones who get to make fire as part of their requirements.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:30 pm

ais4122 wrote:Sounds like a great idea. But remember firestarting is not allowed for Tigers, same thing for knives. Regardless of our personal opinions on those items, as adult leaders we promised to follow the BSA policies that are set for scouting. Knives ( only certain types) are allowed after a Cubscout in the rank of Bear earns the Whittling Chip, and Webelos scouts are the ones who get to make fire as part of their requirements.
Yes! You are correct. Im not having my tigers include those items in thier kit. I was just saying that my boy is ok with handling those type of items---supervised ofcourse!
We are putting our kits together this week. Ill keep you guys posted.
Thank you everyone.

John Adams

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm

jeepgunman wrote: We are putting our kits together this week. Ill keep you guys posted.
Thank you everyone.
Pics or it didn't happen. We expect pics of lil' Tiger scouts beaming with pride over their awesome Altoids tin survival kits. Got that? We will expect nothing less than photographic proof of Scouting awesomesauce. If not, we'll find you, JGM. Oh yes.

We will.

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
jeepgunman wrote: We are putting our kits together this week. Ill keep you guys posted.
Thank you everyone.
Pics or it didn't happen. We expect pics of lil' Tiger scouts beaming with pride over their awesome Altoids tin survival kits. Got that? We will expect nothing less than photographic proof of Scouting awesomesauce. If not, we'll find you, JGM. Oh yes.

We will.
Roger that!!!!

John Adams

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Sorry guys I wanted to post some pictures but I couldnt figure out how to do it. :gonk:

John Adams

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 pm

jeepgunman wrote:Sorry guys I wanted to post some pictures but I couldnt figure out how to do it. :gonk:
Uh-uh, Jeepgunman. You're not getting off that easy.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 25&t=31466

Return to “Family Prep”