MRE prices

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zitheran

MRE prices

Post by zitheran » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:56 am

So was just wandering what a good price would be for 3 cases of MRE's. I found them in my area on Armslist. MRE's on Armslist I'm thinks around $100 - $125?

Apollo-11

Re: MRE prices

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 am

Depends a LOT on how old they are, and how far you need to ship them.

You can buy brand new MREs right off the assembly line for about $8 each (approx $95 a case) with free shipping depending on where you buy them from. Or you can roll the dice and maybe get a better deal on the meals, but pay for shipping. They are not cheap to ship, generally running from $10-$30+ per case.

You can buy really old, questionable MREs at a gun show for $20 a case, with no shipping cost. But you run the risk that they are ancient, or have been stored in hot conditions which can cause them to go bad faster.

Then there is a question: what kind of MREs are you buying? The real, military issued MREs have a defined menu, and have certain side dishes and main dishes with a lot of variety, and they are packed with an enormous amount of calories. Then there are aftermarket MREs that may be slightly stripped-down versions, maybe with fewer side dishes and desserts. They may or may not have heaters in them. They may substitute civilian items for Mil-Spec items. They may not use packaging that is as heavy duty. They may not keep as long.

Buyer beware... I have seen "MREs" with a clear plastic outer envelope, sporting one entree, maybe a side dish, a spoon, some civilian instant coffee and sugar, a cracker, and a granola bar, which sold for almost $10 (per meal!) in a yuppie store. This item had about half the calories as the real deal, and the side dishes were all identical in the case with very little variety in the main entrees. So you'd be looking at some serious menu fatigue if you bought them, not to mention the lack of calories.

This is a little long-winded, but it pays to know what it is you are buying in detail. Not all MREs are created equal.

I would do some reading on http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/civ ... rison.html before choosing the brand.

Google is your friend when you are looking at pricing.

Cold and dead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any of the resident evil movies.

Post by Cold and dead » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:32 am

Ebay 79.95$ with free shipping per case

zitheran

Post by zitheran » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Thank you for the responses.

S.R. Stryker

Post by S.R. Stryker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Apollo-11 wrote: You can buy brand new MREs right off the assembly line for about $8 each (approx $95 a case) with free shipping depending on where you buy them from. Or you can roll the dice and maybe get a better deal on the meals, but pay for shipping. They are not cheap to ship, generally running from $10-$30+ per case.
Hey man. $8 for a unit of brand new dependable MRE is a steal in my opinion. Do you want to help the rest of us out and drop a URL or a phone number for this amazing MRE merchant you are talking about?
Shallow Grave Knives

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
So they said, “Nothing.”
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
-Luke 22:36

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:51 pm

S.R. Stryker wrote:
Apollo-11 wrote: You can buy brand new MREs right off the assembly line for about $8 each (approx $95 a case) with free shipping depending on where you buy them from. Or you can roll the dice and maybe get a better deal on the meals, but pay for shipping. They are not cheap to ship, generally running from $10-$30+ per case.
Hey man. $8 for a unit of brand new dependable MRE is a steal in my opinion. Do you want to help the rest of us out and drop a URL or a phone number for this amazing MRE merchant you are talking about?
+1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:53 pm

S.R. Stryker wrote:
A full case here is between $82 & $95 per case depending upon brands. They also sell entres and side separately so you can mix and match to save money.

http://www.longlifefood.com/MRE-Full-Me ... ucts/1038/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This vendor has them for $79.95 to $118 per case.

This vendor carries more freeze dried than MRE and they do not make MREs they buy them. OS ask about the age before you buy.

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp ... e_E_MRE%20(Meals%20Ready%20to%20Eat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

IMO a case or 2 (say 1 week per person) are useful to have on hand. However, more than that is both costly and a PITA. MREs have a life span shorter than canned foods and the menu items range from bland and adequate to simply bland. They have improved but they are really simply nutrition and calories. You can get the same nutrition and calories in other forms that are more cost efficient and longer lived.

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 am

Nitro-pak.com has them for $95 a case. The good part with them is they do one price shipping at $9.50 no matter how much you buy. One case or twenty, its still the same $9.50 shipping rate.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41 am

I'm skeptical of all these sites listed. None show real USGI MRE packaging. And the last place shows them opened and refers to a one week supply. Looks to me like they are rat fucking the MRE's and selling them out piecemeal.

Anybody find any good links please post them. I will do the same.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:44 am

This blog states that it's been banned the Fed to sell civilians USGI MRE's. Good review of each civilian place that makes them. At least one is a military contractor that makes the real ones.

http://www.hikingreviews.com/gear-revie ... foods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 am

Best from that review are these being sold at cheaper than dirt $88.64 shipped. Supposed to be the closest to original. Made by an old time MRE/C-rat maker. And they come with all the extras.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MRE530-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other major supplier. Only complaint was that not all the extras come with them. $95.53

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MRE525-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best advice was to buy a little of each and mix and match for more selection.
Last edited by moab on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:01 am

http://www.longlifefood.com/MRE-Full-Me ... ucts/1038/

Per case, they are under $8 a meal (shipped price). These do not have "official" wrappers, but the individual components are the real deal.

BTW if you know a military member, you used to be able to legally buy them right at the PX on base for about that price. Do not know if this is still the case or not.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 am

moab wrote:I'm skeptical of all these sites listed. None show real USGI MRE packaging. And the last place shows them opened and refers to a one week supply. Looks to me like they are rat fucking the MRE's and selling them out piecemeal.

Anybody find any good links please post them. I will do the same.
It's been illegal to sell issue MREs to civilians since the Clinton years...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:01 pm

It's illegal to sell Military MREs. The companies that make them do overruns, or just make plenty extra to sell them in different packaging. Same stuff.

http://www.mreinfo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like such a skeptic. Just hate it when companies try to pass off things that aren't true. Looks like cheaper than dirt for the win. I would have never guessed that those first ones were as close to issue as you can get. The packaging looks so civilian. I think I passed on these at my local surplus just because of that. Guess you learn something new every day.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 pm

I think the closest you can get to issue MREs are the "menu c" ones sold by http://www.mredepot.com/, but they appear to b currently out of stock.

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/menu-c-mres.html
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Personally I'd avoid the hell out of menu "C" MREs. I got a few of the original cases when they first came out and they were awesome. Now they substitute stuff and don't guarantee anything. You can find on mreinfo.com where people have been ripped off by ol' Steven Cyros. He clearly does booming business on the rest of that stuff, but you're warned. Plenty of places sell regular MREs. Someone somewhere has a 2 cases for $100 or something which are exactly milspec MREs.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:36 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:Personally I'd avoid the hell out of menu "C" MREs. I got a few of the original cases when they first came out and they were awesome. Now they substitute stuff and don't guarantee anything. You can find on mreinfo.com where people have been ripped off by ol' Steven Cyros. He clearly does booming business on the rest of that stuff, but you're warned. Plenty of places sell regular MREs. Someone somewhere has a 2 cases for $100 or something which are exactly milspec MREs.

Link?

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Admittedly its an older thread, but I still wouldn't trust the guy and he sent me two free cases of MREs. Even if the Menu C stuff does have what's listed today, you can't guarantee you're not going to get 7 of the same side in the case; they're made from overruns, or at least they were, maybe now they make their own batches, IDK.

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 am

I meant a link to this:

"Someone somewhere has a 2 cases for $100 or something which are exactly milspec MREs."

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 am

:lol:
Lemme see if I can find it.

ETA: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not 2 cases any more. It used to be 2 for $90, but I guess that deal has been gone for a year or so, my bad.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 am

BigDaddyTX wrote::lol:
Lemme see if I can find it.

ETA: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not 2 cases any more. It used to be 2 for $90, but I guess that deal has been gone for a year or so, my bad.

Love that place. Best prices on Alice packs anywhere.

flyboy207

Post by flyboy207 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 am

folks,
just ordered my case of MREs from armygear. 59.00 plus shipping......better get them while they are hot...... :D

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

flyboy207 wrote:folks,
just ordered my case of MREs from armygear. 59.00 plus shipping......better get them while they are hot...... :D
Let us know the packing date stamp on them please.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Return to “Family Prep”