Christmas gifts

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gimmejr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Fido

Christmas gifts

Post by gimmejr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 am

So Im wanting to give out some "preparedness" type gifts again this year. Ive given out flashlights before. This year Im thinking a 3 day MRE pack for my dad and sending my Browning Buckmark to my sisters family. Anyone have any other not so expensive ideas for Christmas?

polliedes

Re: Christmas gifts

Post by polliedes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 am

you can pick up a basic leatherman at home depot for 20 bucks or the Husky brand 2 for 10.
ICRS EMTB

stu_wat

Post by stu_wat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Or make a Paracord bracelet

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Mora knives, fire steel rods, paracord braclets, ammo, if they wear glasses get their script & buy them a spare pair from zenioptical. I was actually thinking of doing that this year but getting scripts from friends/family members was next to impossible. Making up a 3 day food kit is a great idea, I've done that in the past also to family members.

Back in the Y2k days I had put together a homemade 'mini-booklet' on basics of water purification, how to keep warm, make a fire, warnings of carbon monoxide poisoning, sanitation and first aid. All of it was bits and pieces I found on the web at the time of dial-up then handed it out to friends and family.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Give them ammo and tell them lead is a bteer investment than gold.
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

Bluewater

Post by Bluewater » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Knives and/or gift cards to Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, etc are usually the way I go unless someone has asked for something specific. Gonna be doing paracord stuff this year too as well I think.
You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 pm

If your family members are not preppers you can help ease them into it by giving smoke detectors, CO detectors, fire extenguishers, etc.

4 in 1 emergency tools are good too. They are designed to turn off the gas, the water, use as a lightweight pry bar, etc.
They usually run about $15

gimmejr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Fido

Post by gimmejr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Some of your tool suggestions have given me any idea.

New Stanley Fubar

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z17/ ... id_res.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colinz

Post by colinz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 am

My oldest Nephew (11 y/o soon to be 12) has recently expressed an interest in 'going bush with Uncle Colinz', so I had a chat with his parents and the end result was that we ended up going halves in a decent 'first' sleeping bag. :D

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:53 am

While it isn't a "prep" item, have you considered books like "One second after"? They may help you motivate your family into prepping.

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm

My sister is giving each of her kids a copy of One Second After and a bin of 60 meals.

I think I'll be doing something similar.
Image Image

rpmoore
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by rpmoore » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Do you have older kids? Around 14-18 or something?
I think a bow would be very nice, they can practise! But those are quite exspensive, maybe motivate them with some gear so they get the same virus as their dad. This is cheap: [url=httpshttp://tacticalkatana.com/gear/woodland-camouflage-bdu-shirt]Camo suit[/url]
"They're all going to end up like that. Bio-mechanical weapons driven by meat batteries. Never have to be fed or recharged. They just keep going...going."

scuro

Post by scuro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 am

gimmejr wrote:So Im wanting to give out some "preparedness" type gifts again this year. Ive given out flashlights before. This year Im thinking a 3 day MRE pack for my dad and sending my Browning Buckmark to my sisters family. Anyone have any other not so expensive ideas for Christmas?

I wish I had read your thread before Christmas!! :D :lol:

Return to “Family Prep”