The Poor Man’s Prepping

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombiepreparation

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Halfapint wrote:Once again ZP I would like to thank you for this thread. It is truly and inspiration
It truly is an inspiration and I have used it to full advantage, though I cannot take any credit for its creation for this thread was the brainchild of a poster named Grumpy46 with the blue smurf avatar that made me feel happy every time I saw it. And Grumpy46 only posted six times.... but (s)he gave us this awesome thread that has been one of my safe places to be in this huge ZombieSquad land!
IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS GRUMPY46
Grumpy46 wrote:For us poor people. The idea of prepping can be overwhelming! We've all seen the youtube videos of rich folks spending thousands on those pre-made Costco 30 year food supplies in those neat plastic buckets and storing them in those custom-made underground shelters. Being a poor man who's wallet has taken a beating in this economy and barely making it as it is....well, it can seem hopeless! You can see yourself after SHTF standing in line with ragged survivors waiting for the gov't cheese and a jug of water with your family. Being poor doesn't mean you cant prep! I prep everyday. It's a conscious act! I'm always thinking of ways to prep cheaply. Every time I go to the store. I get a prep. Whether it’s a can of milk or a tube of chapstick. It’s all preps!

It looks like Grumpy46 joined ZS Oct. 11th... I joined Oct. 31st. And was lost in the maze of information available here in ZS. Don't know how I found this thread (and Kathy in Florida's Moms Journal of the Zombie Years) but on January 18th I did and my education began in earnest because of The Poor Man's Prepping thread here. It was the first thread I could really understand because it was at my level of prepping growth, I felt comfortable asking questions... and reporting what I was trying. This thread became my 'home base' and I felt safe snuggling in here. Then I found MJotZY which became my 'textbook' for what to expect.

I basically lived here and in MJotZY while I began educating myself with the help of the posters here for prepping in my personal circumstances and the in-depth guidebook I found in MJotZY. From here, 'home base', I would investigate other forums, threads, subjects and after awhile I felt comfortable traveling all over the forum. But each time basing myself from this thread where I felt safe. :lol: Mother's skirts so to speak. Eventually finding an extension to my little ZS safe places when Prepper7 began the Virgin Gardner thread that evolved because of this very thread!

I often think of Grumpy46. Wonder why only 6 posts. Wanting him/her to know how much this Poor Man's Prepping thread has coached my Poor Man's Prepping.

I hope (s)he is doing well. I wonder why we lost contact with him/her. It was such an awesome start, right here with this thread that I will always be grateful for!

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:37 pm

It is lovely out today. The weather is changing again. I like that. I prefer WINTER (as in cold cold, or snowy, or icy) to be punctuated with warmer, even spring-line days. It has been nice around here and now the bitter bad weather is moving in again. Which has an exciting effect.

The 'supply' stores (groceries, etc) are alive! People hurrying to stock up, talking animatedly, even to perfect strangers. It is exciting to me.

I went to the grocery too. Found some non-gmo organic green peppers reduced for quick sale because they are looking raggedy. Yay. I can't normally afford them @ $1+ apiece but was able to afford $2 for SIX. Yay. I will cook them immediately (and slowly). The Poor Man's Prepping shopping!

Another exciting thing is I found raw certified organic non-gmo unprocessed apple cider vinegar there.

Now raw certified organic non-gmo unprocessed apple cider vinegar would never occur to me. Vinegar is vinegar is vinegar before this week when I was researching this phytate thing in legumes, seeds, & nuts that needs to be released from said legumes, seeds, & nuts so that I can digest the nutrition they hold, and the said legumes, seeds, & nuts won't leech minerals from my own body instead. (I'm only up to a few legumes and a few seeds so far).

And an acid medium soak is consistently across the board given as necessary to mitigate this phytate thing. I have been using 'vinegar' of the apple cider type but the consistent choice (if I go vinegar...there are other choices) is raw certified organic non-gmo unprocessed apple cider vinegar.

And my store HAS it. Yay.

It is a perfectly lovely day.

My little apartment is warm.

My water preps are stocked in case this dangerous cold moving in causes water main problems.

My larder is stocked with fresh greens, beans, flour, dehydrated and canned fruit/spinach/parsley/green onions/milk/veggies/meat/etc,

I have my new bottle of vinegar to soak my beans & bread flour with (am I the only one who didn't know bread flour has to also be soaked in an acid medium for at least 12 hours because of this leaching factor of phytates? :lol: :lol: ).

Full supply of herbs herbs herbs & spices spices spices!!!!!!!!! Yay! I love these guys!

Batteries are being charged, candles are in place in case of ice/electrical outage, a fair supply of money is on hand just in case, credit card is fully paid just in case I need it, TP/meds/other necessary items reasonably stocked.

I'm ready.... for a very small Event, but even better just a shut-in case of bad weather!

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Ack!! Laundry is not done! Doing it now! Just in case of water line problems tomorrow and the next few days. :lol:

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:28 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:Ack!! Laundry is not done! Doing it now! Just in case of water line problems tomorrow and the next few days. :lol:

This it a real thing i know people who knowing a storm is coming and are told they may lose power. Then complain of no clean cloths.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

Not to derail the current conversation but I grew up feeding crushed egg shells to chickens and never had a problem with them eating their own eggs. I do crush them into small pieces though so that may be the reason. I guess if I wanted too I could throw them in a blender and turn them to a fine powder. Any way the chicken feed we buy has added calcium to promote better egg laying. I could add the egg shells to the compost or garden beds but I have crushed sea shells for that.

OK the tire gardens in the front of the house have created a stir from neighbors. I have had people stop at my gate and ask me about them and tell me they could try that too. I put an add on craigslist and in two days had 60 tires given to me at no cost. I have people that want to give me 300 more as long as I go pick them up. I also picked up a truck load of usable scrap lumber yesterday for free and an picking up 10 rolls of chicken wire in various sizes today for $10 and a complete chicken coop for my buddy's house this evening for $50. We built a 24x24 by 8 ft tall chicken coop yesterday at his house as well. I have people offering me free full grown roosters as well. I currently have 5 roosters that need to be butchered and another 15 that will be ready in a couple of months. Craigslist is a great way to get prepping materials that others just want to get out of their yards as well as meet other preppers and exchange ideas. Case in point. The lady that I got the lumber from yesterday lives a half mile down the street from me. We got to talking and she makes her own soap laundry and dishwasher detergent and lotions. So I had my wife talk to her and they are getting together next Saturday to exchange ideas and so she can look at our gardens and get ideas for her own gardens. I am picking up another 50 tires tomorrow for my buddy's yard and now my wife's new prepping friend as well. When I told the lady which house was ours she said she had seen the tire garden in the front and went on lie to research it and after talking to me is very motivated to build one. So I told her since I was picking up more tires for my buddy to use on his property I would get her some too. Free materials and new prepping friends all at once. Not a bad way to go and help others at the same time while expanding our prepps and resources.
Regulators mount up.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 pm

WOW! :clap:

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 pm

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAW!!!
Good going, zobmiedown!
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by AfleetAlex » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Nick Adams wrote:
AfleetAlex wrote:...Once a week I'll come into work early and volunteer to do food prep. I set aside all the seeds from the tomatoes and peppers, and use them to expand my Forest Garden.

Regardless of your financial situation, always practice Poor Man's Prepping. Where there is a will, there is a way. (:
The problem with saving seeds from Tomatoes and peppers like this is that they are probably F1 Hybrids and when planted they will be different from the vegetable you took them out of, in other words they won't be true to type unlike if you took them from a non hybrid "heirloom"
You can get 50 heirloom seeds for less then $5 then afterward you can save your own seeds from them so it will be only a one time purchase.

I agree with you 100% about always practicing Poor Mans Prepping and I admire you for the other examples you gave.

I buy almost all my gear at flea markets, thrift shops and auctions and get high quality stuff for very little money. Not only that but I sell on ebay lots of what I find that I don't need to pay for what I do.
I really think if you are smart and don't mind hunting for bargins you could be well supplied for about nothing
I have about 3000 heirloom seeds of many varieties.

Thanks for the heads up about the seeds from my work veggies. I've already planted them in my forest garden. I'll keep an eye on them this year and if the product is sketchy, I'll pull it and re-plant heirloom. :)
Come with me if you want to live.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 am

I have not had a single issue with harvesting seeds from other produce, planting them and them not producing. I have actually had friends and family harvest seeds from their produce and give them to me and I planted them just fine. That being said we are mostly talking peppers, squashes, apples, oranges, lemons, great fruit, and avocados. I literally have zip lock bags full of harvested seeds and just planted some in starter pots. I have a disclaimer here in that the pepper, and squash seeds came from the local farmers market courtesy of my sister in law and from the produce stand at the swap meet that is run by a couple from Mexico that grow produce and truck it up for sale on the weekends. The lemon, orange and great fruit came from family members up in phoenix from tress in their yards. However the apple and avocado seeds came from Fry's grocery store with one avocado at my buddy's house that is not three feet tall. We did try avocado many times with no luck and then read that if you refrigerate the avocado the seed will not in fact grow so since we started not refrigerating them we got the first one to sprout that is now 3 ft tall and have six more that just sprouted. Now we have read that avocado started this way more than likely will not produce as it should be grafted with another tree. But having grown up in CA I am familiar with how big avocado trees get and so I am ok with growing non producing trees purely for landscaping, privacy, firewood, tree house and wind break purposes. All the other tress did not survive last year as I have a dog that knocked the trays of them over and actually ate them. So this year we will try again but instead of the trays on the patio we will move them inside the fenced garden areas to keep them safe. I guess the best advice here I would give is go ahead and harvest seeds from where every you can. If they work it's a win. If they don't but you can use the plants for landscaping its still a win. Or if you end up with produce you don't like the flavor of you can always barter/trade it with some one with chickens for free eggs or even just compost it for your garden soil next year and it's still a win. Free seeds are better than none at all in my opinion. For those in more rural areas like me you can always feed it to the wild life and harvest them at a later date if necessary in a PAW situation. I have no plans of feeding the local wild life personally but do have goats I can feed any thing we grow that we decide we do not like. Tried two different cherry/grape tomatoes last year that no one liked so we just picked them and turned it into chicken food. Hell we even traded corn cobs for eggs once last year.

New tip I just learned from the lady I got the lumber from. Save wine and alcohol bottles If you are like me and have issues with mice and your gardens. Put a mouse attracting food item of your choice in the bottle and set it in your gardens at a 45 degree angle so the mice can get in the bottle. Once in they can not climb out of the smooth glass of the bottle and are disposal ready. Another reason I try hard to keep the mice at bay is that in my area an abundance of mice will attract rattle snakes as well. So now I have my wife, friends and family saving their wine bottles for me. Plan of using a bunch of them especially in the compost bin that is attracting mice in record numbers.

I am finding that I am meeting more and more people in my neighborhood lately that are working at become more self sufficient and we all openly trade ideas tips and items.
Regulators mount up.

Pr0sper0
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ, Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead, Day of the Dead (original)

Post by Pr0sper0 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 am

Prepping on a budget. the UK version.
Time are hard, and ‘spare’ money is hard to come by.
But I thought I would share my tips on how I have managed to start prepping on a very limited income.
1. Food-pretty self explanatorily and common sense, I started with 2for1 offers, and buying food when it was on special offer, 5 tins soup for £2 when its normally double that..that kind of thing.
I subscribe to the rule. Store what you eat and eat what you store. So I’m not building up a stock of food no one wants to eat. Most of my surplus is tins and dry packet foods.
I also built into these stocks extra flavorings, herbs & spices, and things like Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Partly because i’m a flavor junkie and partly there may come a time when Squirrel, Pidgeon or maybe even rat may be on the menu and i’m sure drowning it it peri peri shake might make it more palatable. And also becasue I believe in the beneficial properties of herbs as natural 'medicies'.
Water.- this is two-fold, first of all a small supply of bottled water-16 liters in 2l bottles. But also a investment in coffee filters..then onto water filtration which counts as a High Cost Item, (HCI). A 100liter water-butt in the garden that can be filled from the garden hose doesn't raise any suspicion. My own plan is to drain it, move it indoors then full it from a hose, if things went bad.
Health Medical and hygiene. I’I have been stocking up on extra sanitary products, medicines, vitamin supplements, first aid equipment. I tend to buy these products from supermarkets rather than the pound shops, again taking advantage of 2 for 1 offers, and a use 2 take 1 system...if SWMBO uses some towels, then I’ll take one out of the pack and store it. They soon build up without the loss being noticed. Included in health medical and hygenre are dentistry items emergency fillings and spare toothbrushes and toothpaste.
Barter items. This is where I do use the pound shops, anything that is lightweight and doesn't take up much room, razor blades, soap, antibacterial hand gel, cheap socks and gloves, pound land camping equipment...its not for my use but to barter if needs be. Also some food and luxury items such as coffee, Ecigs-availbe from a pund shop nowadays and can be charged from a USB 12V car charger.

So over the past 18 months i’m managed to accumulate a fair amount of preps, without it impacting on the weekly budget. And most of what i’ve have written above could fall under the heading of ‘Common Sense.’ but i'd like to show to my fellow preppers it can be done, you just have to start somewhere.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm

I recently changed jobs and took a very large pay cut. I did it mainly because I was tired of working overseas, and don't regret it, but a pay reductions by a factor of 5 sucks.
So I was able to store up a bit of food prep stuff before the change, but am now working on food and water preps in a smarter way. Thanks for posting what you all have, it's a great deal of help. Truth be told I should have read this a long time ago, but am trying to make up for it now.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:05 pm

I have found the cheapest way fro m to prep food is to grow my own. A pack of seeds is about the same price as one squash in the store but produces volumes more. The same goes for all vegetables. we get to eat fresh vegetables all year free of chemicals and hormones plus put up large volumes fro the future. In addition I have found lately that I can trade the vegetables for other prep items and supplies. So with an initial investment in seeds and canning equipment I can put up a lot more food preps trade and barter and save large amounts over shopping at stores. This is the same reason I now am raising chickens. Free eggs and when the roosters get large enough they get butchered and canned and added to the prep foods as well and we can trade some of the extra meat as well. Plus in my area people are giving away full grown roosters all the time since they don't want/need them and can't bring them selves to butcher them. I have gotten nine free this year already from adds on craigslist.
Regulators mount up.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Making less money sucks but honestly it's worth it when you realize that your happiness is more important than money.

While my gf was out of work for about two years, we made due. It wasn't easy to prep but I still did, Costco bags of beans, and I live near lots if small Asian stores so I got a ton of rice. Those are cheap and easy to store up fir the cheap. We wouldn't have lived WELL but we would have food in our bellies. That was the first thing I began to prep. One day I went to the grocery and saw canned chicken for sale. It was .75¢ a can I spent 15$ on it then the next week after I got paid and paid off all my bills I went back and they still as them I bought another 30 cans. That's his I started I've slowly rotated them and added canned fruit, canned veggies, MH meals, and other timings along the way. It helps now that the gf has had a steady job for a little over a year, and we both make plenty if money.

I like to make my own booze too, when I do I go out and buy gallon jugs of water to make my mead, I save the jugs, clean them and refill with tap water. I'm lucky that at my work we have 2 liter bottles that are everywhere and management really doesn't mind if we take some. So I've slowly grabbed a few every now and again to help my water preps, these are very nice because they are sealed and I like the two liter bottles more that the gallon jugs.

So I know that if there's a will there's a way, it really is good to see this thread going to show people that you don't have to spend a lot of money on preps to have good preps. I hope I get my property soon I'd love to be able to start canning my own food. But looking at the prices of mason jars it seems that it can almost cost more doing that then buying the commercially canned goods. So who knows.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Halfapint wrote:Making less money sucks but honestly it's worth it when you realize that your happiness is more important than money.

While my gf was out of work for about two years, we made due. It wasn't easy to prep but I still did, Costco bags of beans, and I live near lots if small Asian stores so I got a ton of rice. Those are cheap and easy to store up fir the cheap. We wouldn't have lived WELL but we would have food in our bellies. That was the first thing I began to prep. One day I went to the grocery and saw canned chicken for sale. It was .75¢ a can I spent 15$ on it then the next week after I got paid and paid off all my bills I went back and they still as them I bought another 30 cans. That's his I started I've slowly rotated them and added canned fruit, canned veggies, MH meals, and other timings along the way. It helps now that the gf has had a steady job for a little over a year, and we both make plenty if money.

I like to make my own booze too, when I do I go out and buy gallon jugs of water to make my mead, I save the jugs, clean them and refill with tap water. I'm lucky that at my work we have 2 liter bottles that are everywhere and management really doesn't mind if we take some. So I've slowly grabbed a few every now and again to help my water preps, these are very nice because they are sealed and I like the two liter bottles more that the gallon jugs.

So I know that if there's a will there's a way, it really is good to see this thread going to show people that you don't have to spend a lot of money on preps to have good preps. I hope I get my property soon I'd love to be able to start canning my own food. But looking at the prices of mason jars it seems that it can almost cost more doing that then buying the commercially canned goods. So who knows.
Yeah,retail price for canning jars is expensive. I have accumulated about 1,000 jars over the years by visiting yard ,garage sales,etc.
Also,try asking friends,neighbors & relatives if they have any they don't need

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 pm

zobmiedown wrote:<snip> Not a bad way to go and help others at the same time while expanding our prepps and resources.
As well as building community and a mutual-aid group. Well done, you! :clap:
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Well I traded 10 extra tires to our new friend down the street so she can start her own small vegetable garden. In exchange I got 30 concrete blocks she did not need or want and some more scrap lumber she had. Also traded her some of her home made laundry detergent for some of our ground mesquite flour so that we could both try the stuff we each had. My buddy is taking the other 40 or so extra tires for his new vegetable garden as well. I literally now have about 10 fellow preppers in a 3 mile area who enjoy bartering and trading the stuff they are growing, making, raising, and producing. I have talked to most of them in the last day or two about having a prepper exchange once a month or more and they are all open to it. Plus each time we can have someone show the rest of the collection how they make things so that everyone can learn that skill as well. Besides it sounds like a great reason to bbq and have a few beers with like minded folks. My theory is the more we trade and teach the better off we will all be if something bad happens.
Regulators mount up.

prepper7

Post by prepper7 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 pm

zobmiedown wrote:. . . the more we trade and teach the better off we will all be if something bad happens.
This.
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

prepper7

Raised Bed Garden Kit $29

Post by prepper7 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm

(From DealNews) Home Depot offers the Greenland Gardener 42" x 42" Raised Bed Garden Kit, model no. 105981, for $28.97. Opt for in-store pickup to avoid the $9.99 shipping charge. That's $43 below the lowest total price we could find for a similar item elsewhere. Made of recycled plastic and wood, this kit is rot-proof. Update: Walmart offers it for the same price with in-store pickup.

N.b., the assembled height is 6". Fine for shallow root things like herbs, lettuces, radishes, etc. If one wanted to spend the money, the units could be stacked.

zobmiedown

Re: Raised Bed Garden Kit $29

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:01 pm

prepper7 wrote:(From DealNews) Home Depot offers the Greenland Gardener 42" x 42" Raised Bed Garden Kit, model no. 105981, for $28.97. Opt for in-store pickup to avoid the $9.99 shipping charge. That's $43 below the lowest total price we could find for a similar item elsewhere. Made of recycled plastic and wood, this kit is rot-proof. Update: Walmart offers it for the same price with in-store pickup.

N.b., the assembled height is 6". Fine for shallow root things like herbs, lettuces, radishes, etc. If one wanted to spend the money, the units could be stacked.
I actually looked at kits like these a few weeks ago. Not bad but I have 6" deep beds made out of reclaimed lumber and screws I had in the shed. Total cost was $0. With a little on line research one can find people getting rid of scrap lumber for free and a little work with a cordless drill or screwdriver and you can build to fit what you are looking for in almost any configuration. You can even paint them if you like. I bring this up not to argue my way is better but to offer other ideas that cost less and produce the same results. Lately I have been acquiring various building materials for free just by checking craiglist daily. So far I have acquired a large stack of lumber, bricks and cinder block and rolls of chicken and fence wire.

The beauty of prepping is that you are only limited by your imagination. This site is wonderful in that things others have done or posted have sparked my brain into gear to say hey I could do that with this or this as well.

All the material seen in tis garden pic were acquired for free except the soil in the beds which I got at the dump for $15 per truck load. Notice the brick beds in the back of the tires.

More of the gardens built with materials I acquired at no cost.

Still more. Notice the beds made out of reclaimed 2x6 in the back. Again no cost and even the swing set in the front was given to me by some one that wanted it taken to the dump. A little work with spray paint and new swings and it is like new.
Regulators mount up.

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by AfleetAlex » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

zobmiedown wrote:I have not had a single issue with harvesting seeds from other produce, planting them and them not producing. I have actually had friends and family harvest seeds from their produce and give them to me and I planted them just fine. That being said we are mostly talking peppers, squashes, apples, oranges, lemons, great fruit, and avocados. I literally have zip lock bags full of harvested seeds and just planted some in starter pots.

Free seeds are better than none at all in my opinion. For those in more rural areas like me you can always feed it to the wild life and harvest them at a later date if necessary in a PAW situation. I have no plans of feeding the local wild life personally but do have goats I can feed any thing we grow that we decide we do not like. .
This was my thinking, also.

2013 was the first year I harvested seeds from my heirloom veggies to plant this year, and I wasn't confident that I'd cured them properly; so I wasn't going to risk planting them. That's why I went with the seeds harvested from my work. My 'forest garden' also stretches for nearly 600 total miles (Williston, North Dakota to my BOL in northern Minnesota, and from Apple Valley, MN to my BOL.), so purchasing all the seeds isn't practical.
Come with me if you want to live.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:02 am

AfleetAlex wrote:
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."
This is so funny.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 am

AfleetAlex that is on heck of a forest garden. Last year was my first year growing anything at all. But thanks to ZS I learned I could keep and use the seeds from fruits and veggies so I started doing that too. I have a large supply now of seeds from fruit and vegetables that I enjoyed eating and will use to grow more and enjoy them and harvest their seeds as well. Case in point. I had some bugs get to my corn last year. I salvaged what I could and froze that. I dried the rest salvaged the kernels I could and kept them and the rest and the cobs went to the chickens. So I did a test planting in a small pot of 5 of my salvaged corn kernels and they all sprouted and are doing well. So I did my entire corn growing bed this year with the kernels I salvaged last year. I saved a little bit of everything from last year. Peas, Beans, melon seeds and so on and am using them this year and everything is sprouting and doing good so far. As a result the 2014 rodent/mouse war is in full swing already to keep them from destroying the gardens. I put out poison packs Sunday and by yesterday afternoon when I checked them two were already completely empty. I also have buckets of water in the garden areas that do very well at catching and drowning the mice as well.

Ok back on topic. I also have friends and family that save their seeds for me since they don't garden them selves making another free source for seeds.
Regulators mount up.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:47 pm

For me, an urban, multi level apartment dweller this is going to be extremely useful in a short/long term small/large bugging in Event! This is (apparently) old info BUT new-to-me, and absolutely useful for my poor self if SHF around here. (of course to be taken 'with' in bug out scenario too)

Will be building one soon... to wait in readiness if ever needed.
(found in thread Neat Idea for Post-SHTF Sanitation
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:18 pm

I noticed on the comments, the question "why not just use a bucket with a lid".
Bucket with a lid?
Then either -
1. the first person pollutes the water and everyone else washes in dirty water, or
2. it's dumped out each time and refilled.

1. doesn't help with disease transmission and
2. uses way too much water.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Family Prep”