Harden Your Doors and Windows

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doc Strange

Post by Doc Strange » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Most burglaries/home invasions/zombie infestations start with kicked in doors or broken windows. You could save up to buy a steel door -- but that's not the real solution. It's the door jamb that breaks, or the hinges simply tear out of it. Soooooo -- buy a larger strike plate for your door -- one foot long (Lowes, Home Depot) or (my personal favorite) a 4' long Strikemaster Pro. The latter comes with the long screws you need to replace the ones on your hinges. For windows, you can get film (Shatter Safe and other vendors) that will make it harder for someone to break through. They will either go somewhere else (you didn't tell your neighbors to do this, did you?) or you will have lots of time to arm and get ready to defend yourself.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Re: Harden Your Doors and Windows

Post by maldon007 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:41 pm

This has been covered here ad nauseum, use the search feature! Security upgrades/hardening doors/etc.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Doc Strange, are you about to tell us all about how amazing it is to have just upgraded to Windows 98? :lol:

Welcome to the forum, but please search (as suggested above) before posting. Also, stop by the Introduction section and share a bit about yourself.

Have a good one.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

rakkFO

Post by rakkFO » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks for sharing! Even if it has been covered this forum gives me new ideas every day. I would not have randomly thought to search door hardening but since you posted it gave me something to research and stimulated thought.

Str8Shooter

Post by Str8Shooter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 am

rakkFO wrote:Thanks for sharing! Even if it has been covered this forum gives me new ideas every day. I would not have randomly thought to search door hardening but since you posted it gave me something to research and stimulated thought.
+1

Being a newbie poster to this forum myself I think it's so welcoming that longtime members feel the need to pile-on when someone makes what appears to be a newbie mistake. Having experienced this myself I'll assume the OP did search and just was unable to find what he was looking for as was in my case but the thread I started http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=82698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was closed before I could even respond?????

So welcome to the forum Doc and don't worry about it!
My Storage Locker Review - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=82803

ASSume I did search prior to asking my question. Thanks!

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 am

I don't think it is the fact that he posted about this topic. He simply brought nothing new to the table as far as this topic has been covered.

If he searched the topic then found that a new sweet ass product had not been talked about or if a specific entry point or safety aspect had not been adressed, then he could proceed in adding facts and opinions to a previous discussion, or create a new topic if need be.

Or perhaps if the OP had a recent personal experience involving home security or a product review that would also be a benefit to the forums. It's nothing personal, it just keeps the boards from being diluted, and actually makes getting information you are searching more difficult or tedious.

Imagine searching for a topic that has 1000 threads that all have similar info, but only one or two of those threads actually have the information you need.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Str8Shooter

Post by Str8Shooter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 am

Shaper wrote:I don't think it is the fact that he posted about this topic. He simply brought nothing new to the table as far as this topic has been covered. If he searched the topic then found that a new sweet ass product had not been talked about or if a specific entry point or safety aspect had not been adressed.

Then he could proceed in adding facts and opinions to a previous discussion, or create a new topic if need be. If the OP had a recent personal experience involving home security or a product review that would also be a benefit to the forums. It's nothing personal, it just keeps the boards from being diluted, and actually makes getting information you are searching more difficult or tedious.

Imagine searching for a topic that has 1000 threads that all have similar info, but only one or two of those threads actually have the information you need.
I agree with most of what you said, and if it's been covered than a mod can delete or merge the posts. It's the piling on that I was addressing.
My Storage Locker Review - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=82803

ASSume I did search prior to asking my question. Thanks!

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 am

First, as far as piling on, that was a pretty mild pile on, for the internet... Might be a stretch to even call it piling on, since only one post was even slightly derogitory (mine was not). And the slightly derogitory one ended with- "...but please search (as suggested above) before posting. Also, stop by the Introduction section and share a bit about yourself.
Have a good one." ...Which is pretty friendly, for a pile-on.

Second, his post was different than yours, you post was a question (which probably could have run it's course, but I'm not a mod, so what do I know). His was a statement, telling everyone how it should be, without checking to see if it was already common knowledge around here... And on his first or second post. It seemed obvious he hadn't read up at ALL on here, but just ran in yelling "Hey, I know stuff that you don't!" Like walking into walmart & telling them "You know, if you price items low, a lot of people will buy your stuff :wink: "

Anyway, just trying to say, read up, look at a lot of posts, there is a lot to learn here and usually something to teach... But assume people here are as smart as you :lol:

edit: btw, not trying to pile on!!!

Vicarious_Lee
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 pm

I really love this stuff:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... jamb+armor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Everytime I try and post in this topic, it tells me that I must construct additional pylons...?

pile-ons..
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Please don't bring pylons into a pile on, it makes it hard to pile on, with all these pylons.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 pm

maldon007 wrote:Please don't bring pylons into a pile on, it makes it hard to pile on, with all these pylons.
Oww...Post make Shaper head hurt.

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Please be hospitable to our newcomers, at least in this section. If there's a problem, flag a post and report it, or feel free to PM me.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Chantrea wrote:Please be hospitable to our newcomers, at least in this section. If there's a problem, flag a post and report it, or feel free to PM me.
Sure thing. :oops:

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 am

I'm actually going to point something out from personal experience...

We had steel doors one the backdoor and the detached garage at our old place. One of them, I build the frame myself (salvaged door), the other was a reinforced frame.

The damn copper thieves got through both of them. NOT because the frame were weak, but because they actually battered the doors themselves down...

The door guy who came out for the estimate said in all his years, he's never seen that happen.

One the garage door, they actually used a landscaping timber as a battering ram and must have worked on it for at least 30 minutes... Eventually, the deadbolt shaft BENT.

The back door, they battered at it so much that the door itself is warped (2 bends in it, approx 30 degrees apiece.)

I'll post pics if I remember to take some before the back door gets replaced...

My point is, no defense is perfect, and if they want to get in bad enough, they will.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 am

IceWing wrote:I'm actually going to point something out from personal experience...

We had steel doors one the backdoor and the detached garage at our old place. One of them, I build the frame myself (salvaged door), the other was a reinforced frame.

The damn copper thieves got through both of them. NOT because the frame were weak, but because they actually battered the doors themselves down...

The door guy who came out for the estimate said in all his years, he's never seen that happen.

One the garage door, they actually used a landscaping timber as a battering ram and must have worked on it for at least 30 minutes... Eventually, the deadbolt shaft BENT.

The back door, they battered at it so much that the door itself is warped (2 bends in it, approx 30 degrees apiece.)

I'll post pics if I remember to take some before the back door gets replaced...

My point is, no defense is perfect, and if they want to get in bad enough, they will.

Ice
Great personal experience and great point, ice.

LBB

Post by LBB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:50 am

I don't know if you guys ever have seen what they have in Germany to shut down the house.

Its something called Rolladen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjoJKjGEE8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:13 pm

LBB wrote:I don't know if you guys ever have seen what they have in Germany to shut down the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjoJKjGEE8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dig it!...I wonder if there is an American company that produces, or at least imports something similar?

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Shaper wrote:
LBB wrote:I don't know if you guys ever have seen what they have in Germany to shut down the house.

I dig it!...I wonder if there is an American company that produces, or at least imports something similar?
If my google fu is strong, that actually IS an American company, based out of Las Vegas.

http://www.rolladenlv.com/location.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I have to admit, the chick in that video is very cute.

My MIL has those on all of her windows for hurricane shutters. They work great and come with a battery backup pack that you plug into the wall and move them up or down. When we get down there for vacation we usually put them down in the room we are sleeping in and tend to sleep a lot longer than we should as they block out ALL light and some noise.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:59 pm

IceWing wrote:
Shaper wrote:

If my google fu is strong, that actually IS an American company, based out of Las Vegas.

http://www.rolladenlv.com/location.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ice
Schweet!

LBB

Post by LBB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Shaper wrote:
IceWing wrote:
Shaper wrote:

Ice
Schweet!
Be aware, in Germany they have two different kinds.
The metal ones and the plastic ones.

But both have the protection that they can't be pushed up, or only with a carjack or similar.

And yes, there are some that can't be pushed up at all.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Pretty sure a Rolladen in actually a tasty meat roll stuffed with pickles and bacon... But I digest...

I wonder if there is any recourse for fires and the like? Because it would kind of suck to be stuck inside during an emergency. That in itself is something to consider about hardening a house, if someone legitimately wants to do harm to you and yours a bit of gasoline will go a long ways towards that.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 am

Confucius wrote:

Pretty sure a Rolladen in actually a tasty meat roll stuffed with pickles and bacon... But I digest...

I wonder if there is any recourse for fires and the like? Because it would kind of suck to be stuck inside during an emergency. That in itself is something to consider about hardening a house, if someone legitimately wants to do harm to you and yours a bit of gasoline will go a long ways towards that.
The bottom line is that most residential structures will not withstand a determined siege, even with extensive hardening and modification.

But nothing says you have to make it easy for the fwonkers. :twisted:

My own house is an excellent case in point for a structure that simply cannot be hardened enough to be practical... wood framing and foam sheathing behind vinyl siding means you can pretty much gain entry through any exterior wall with little more than a sharp knife. Which is why our home defense plan is pretty much to bug out and go elsewhere. In our case that's a friends house on a farm 20 miles away, and we have the vehicles always ready to make that trip.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Return to “Family Prep”