Apartment heating

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Apartment heating

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:17 pm

drop bear wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm
As an addition tape a heap of those cheap car shade things on your windows.
To increase heat? I thought they kept heat out? Or maybe we are thinking of different things?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:18 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm
raptor wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 am

You'd have to ask Rinnai why they designed it that way. It's electronic ignition and I'm assuming the lack of a pilot light has something to do with safety. As to hacking in a battery powered fan, I don't think the landlord would be too happy about my doing that.
Is it direct wired? If not a battery and an inverter should keep it running.

The electric ignition is odd but I guess since it has a fan it is simpler than piezoelectric ignition.
No it's not direct wired; it plugs into a wall outlet. But if I go that route, I'll fire up the gasoline generator I've already invested in before I consider purchasing a deep cycle battery and an inverter. I agree however with what I think is the premise behind Yossarian's line of questioning: it's a shame these Rinnai propane heaters can't function without AC power. Gas fireplaces run without power, so why can't these direct vent propane heaters?

I strongly suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Rinnai is designed to safely heat your home while you're sleeping or are away at work/on vacation, but I don't know that for sure. It does make one wonder.
I looked them up. I think this https://www.rinnai.us/gas-home-heating/ ... t-furnaces is what you're talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of a ventless heater. It looks like you're correct and yours provides more precise control with no provisions for manual control. Again, I'd say a Buddy heater is the best backup option
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 am

No it's not direct wired; it plugs into a wall outlet. But if I go that route, I'll fire up the gasoline generator I've already invested in before I consider purchasing a deep cycle battery and an inverter. I agree however with what I think is the premise behind Yossarian's line of questioning: it's a shame these Rinnai propane heaters can't function without AC power. Gas fireplaces run without power, so why can't these direct vent propane heaters?

I strongly suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Rinnai is designed to safely heat your home while you're sleeping or are away at work/on vacation, but I don't know that for sure. It does make one wonder.
Electric ignition versus a standing pilot (w/thermocouple). Would guess since the Rinnai has an electric fan the electronic ignition just made the most sense. Most of our propane devices/appliances are standing pilot, and I always steal the thermocouples, regulators, and any copper fittings off of broken propane devices before throwing them away. Old BBQ grills are a great source of spare parts.

Depending on the wattage to run the fan a battery/inverter backup for it sounds like a good plan, the wattage or amps should be on the heater somewhere then just some simple math on how big a battery based on how many hours of run time you need.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:17 pm
drop bear wrote:
To increase heat? I thought they kept heat out? Or maybe we are thinking of different things?
They reflect radiant heat and provide a tiny amount of insulation. If the radiant heat is coming from inside, then it will reflect it back in, so at any given time you'd just have to decide whether there was a net gain of radiant heat (from the sun) or or net loss (from internal heating) through a window and block or unblock accordingly.

For insulation the solid foam board insulation cut to window size will do a much better job, but are bulky to store.

this would be my back-up back-up plan, if I ran out of kerosene/propane and warm clothes just weren't enough. I only have some leaky tent stoves right now so It wouldn't be a great option, but better then dying.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm
woodsghost wrote:
drop bear wrote:
They reflect radiant heat and provide a tiny amount of insulation. If the radiant heat is coming from inside, then it will reflect it back in, so at any given time you'd just have to decide whether there was a net gain of radiant heat (from the sun) or or net loss (from internal heating) through a window and block or unblock accordingly.

For insulation the solid foam board insulation cut to window size will do a much better job, but are bulky to store.

this would be my back-up back-up plan, if I ran out of kerosene/propane and warm clothes just weren't enough. I only have some leaky tent stoves right now so It wouldn't be a great option, but better then dying.
I'm going to talk to my wife about this one. See if I can get approval. [slightly blue text]

Thanks for the clarification.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 pm

I was all set to use my tent stove as a ghetto insert in my fireplace, but from past experience if I didn't keep the stove going all night (and my small tent stove would require more wood every hour or two) I'd probably end off worse then without from all the cold air coming down the flue.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
drop bear wrote:

I'm going to talk to my wife about this one. See if I can get approval. [slightly blue text]

Might some cement board or similar to build a hearth area under and behind it be worthwhile?

I'd be worried about accidental spills starting a fire, or radiant heat damaging the paint. Seems like some cement board and a bit of space on the far side would greatly reduce the worries, without being too much of a pain to store.

I'll fully admit that I tend to be a bit of a worrywart about accidentally starting fires.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
drop bear wrote:

That is how I had it in my RV. It worked too good in such a small space and there was no thermal mass to retain it through the night. I would recommend a couple of 55 gal. Drums of water nearby to absorb some of the heat if you have the space.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 am

Fire or ice. Danger either way. I'm getting a Lil' Buddy as soon as I can. More wool blankets. It's -3F right now. This does NOT include wind chill. I'd be ok, but I worry about my cat. :(

This scenario sucks. In part, because it could easily happen.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 am
Fire or ice. Danger either way. I'm getting a Lil' Buddy as soon as I can. More wool blankets. It's -3F right now. This does NOT include wind chill. I'd be ok, but I worry about my cat. :(

I am sure your cat would welcome a blanket in that event and the cat would be fine.
It is -15F in WY were I have spent last week.

It has given me new respect for the extreme cold. They were using a stream cleaner and the long steam hose kept freezing...yes the hot steam kept freezing in the hose...not the water hose to the steamer, but the steam hose.

I asked around the facility and most of the people here had a propane backup heater of some type FWTIW.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:35 am

raptor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 am
MPMalloy wrote:

I asked around the facility and most of the people here had a propane backup heater of some type FWTIW.
Good to hear.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 am

MPMalloy wrote:

Sleeping with pets has proven helpful for me in the past when sleeping outdoors. Well, sleeping with dogs. I don't actually know what a cat would do. I know my families cats will curl up in a big family ball and sleep when it is really cold out. They will also sit in the heated water dish (when there is no water in it) or sit on the dirt of the planters on my parents porch. They like that bare dirt with no snow on it. They will also curl up in a family bundle under the one really low porch, but the access point will get covered with snow and then they stay on the porch in the above descriptions. My dad has been making them boxes with foam insulation and multiple exits but they don't seem to trust that. Anything a raccoon or possum can get into they distrust.

Slightly different situations from yours, but maybe a cardboard or wood box with some blankets around it and inside it would be perfect?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 am

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 am
MPMalloy wrote:

Sleeping with pets has proven helpful for me in the past when sleeping outdoors. Well, sleeping with dogs. I don't actually know what a cat would do.
Looks to be a three-dog night ...
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meani ... is-it-used

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm

https://youtu.be/5vqyfOq0D-8

The Buddy Heater is good for RV use.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Family Prep”