The Prepper Moms

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

The Prepper Moms

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Not all doomsday survivalists are macho men with bunkers and chainsaws. Meet the women preparing for the worst.

https://medium.com/s/greatescape/the-pr ... 2b3a3b541c

Jennifer had already taken the necessary precautions the night Hurricane Maria came barreling through the Caribbean. The 46-year-old stay-at-home mom, who lives on two acres of land with her husband and four children atop a mountain in Manati, Puerto Rico, was ready to make use of the filter she’d purchased for sterilizing rainwater in case the taps ran dry. And she didn’t have to worry about food, because her pantry was already stocked with two-and-a-half years’ worth: giant buckets of lentils, flour, and rice; shelves lined with mason jars of fruits and vegetables she had grown and canned herself.

What Jennifer, a self-described prepper who declined to share her last name for security reasons, didn’t anticipate was the sheer force of Maria’s rains and 155 mile per hour winds — and how little the storm shutters would do to protect her home. “I was taking water out of the bedrooms, the living rooms, the hallways,” she says. “The house was flooded.” At one point, a piece of debris flew off a neighbor’s roof and got stuck between the outside wall of Jennifer’s pantry and the storm shutters, ripping off a pair of windows in the process.

Stercutus

Re: The Prepper Moms

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:33 pm

One my terps told me a lengthy story that essentially his grandmother saved his large extended family all kinds of hardship during and after the Gulf War (1991). She had stored actual tons of rice, beans, flour, chickpeas and other staples as a ward against hard times. She did a lot of other things like figured out how to get water out of the non-functional water delivery pipes and other things that showed she was thinking through the possible shortages. There was a lot more to it than that but I'd have to find my notebooks to sort out everything he told me.

As keepers of the modern household the last few thousand years women have always been preppers. It is only in recent times the household has been left leaderless or empty.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

TacAir

Re: The Prepper Moms

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 am

One need only look at the many Food Storage site to see women getting the message and being ready.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Family Prep”