Freezing Water supply?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

btlook1
Favorite Zombie Movies: some of them....

Freezing Water supply?

Post by btlook1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 am

Ok so I've been under the mindset for the last few years of prepping but haven't taken a big step other than ammo/guns. I have this big freezer that is currently half empty. Started this week filling up milk jugs with water and putting them in, yes giving them a little room to expand. Cleaned them very good and soaked first. Any con's to doing this? I figure you can always thaw them out for water and in case of power outage they will help the freezer to stay cold longer. Bad Idea or good idea? Haven't seen it posted here so that is why I'm asking. Thanks.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Freezing Water supply?

Post by raptor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 am

The only real negative to this is that the plastic container may become riddle from the prolonged exposure to cold so when it thaws it may leak.
The good side benefit about this is if you have a power outage you have ice already ready frozen in the jugs to help keep food cold.

My only question is can a freezer hold enough water for the number of people you're prepping to support.

1 gallon per person per day is absolute bare minimum. I always suggest more. Water preparations if you use tap water are actually the cheapest preparation to make. The cost is in the container in the storage space.

ILFE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1984 version), Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by ILFE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

btlook1 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 am
Any con's to doing this? I figure you can always thaw them out for water and in case of power outage they will help the freezer to stay cold longer. Bad Idea or good idea? Haven't seen it posted here so that is why I'm asking. Thanks.
I'm 52. When I was a boy - late 70's, early 80's, alone, I could drink a gallon of milk every day - two at the outside. Anyway, my dad was a masonry contractor who worked in the heat of summer. He kept an orange water keg on the site for his crew to draw water from. Inside this keg, he would keep a gallon jug of water, minus the jug part, as he would cut that away prior to filling the keg full of water. I remember those one-gallon ice cubes staying frozen all day, even through the heat of summer.

So, in my opinion, defintely a good idea. I would say, best to let them freeze longer than one day, to make sure they are good and solid, though.
Paul

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm

This is an interesting idea, that I might borrow in part. Or at least test out. Only instead of the thin plastic jugs I would probably use the more durable #5 jugs that stuff like Arizona Green Tea comes in. I already keep a dozen or so of them full of purified water on hand, among other sources, and have a medium size chest freezer in storage that I am not using.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 pm

I have switched to 2 and 3 litre soda bottles, not so much for the water prep ( I've got multiple redundancies) but for the freezer itself.
First, more thermal mass helps maintain temps in a no power situation and secondly, saves power by reducing cycle time.
Empty space does not maintain well - keep it full.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 am

We use plastic Topo Chico bottles. The bigger ones are about 1.5L. Hubby takes 2 of them in his ice chest every day, and they're normally still pretty frozen when he comes home, even after longer days in 110F. He comes home and switches them out. I take a smaller one in my little lunch bag with all my cold drinks and they're still half-frozen when I get home, even if I run errands and leave it in the hot car. We haven't had to replace any of them yet and we've been doing it for several months. There's pretty much a full layer of bottles, some bigger, some the smaller size, in our deep freeze.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 am

We do this with 16oz bottled water. We use them as ice packs and if we are at the zoo, or on a long trip, we can drink the water too.

The bottles stand up ok over a years freezing/thawing, but they probably only see 10-20 cycles in that time. We usually end up drinking them at some point.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

btlook1
Favorite Zombie Movies: some of them....

Post by btlook1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. It's something I'm going to proceed with doing. I'm only storing water for two people and I'm in the country with access to ponds and a creek so not to worried about water and could filter or boil as needed but want to be prepared beforehand. Not bugging out here unless the house falls in.I figure to add a couple of gallons to the freezer each week as we drink the milk. Thinking about chickens next summer also.....

Bridgebreaker

Post by Bridgebreaker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:37 am

When Irma was rolling in last year I stuffed my deep freeze with gallon Ziploc bags half filled with water. I intended it as cheap insurance against my generator failing, and as it turned out I was able too keep a couple of less fortunate friends stocked with ice.

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Yep it's a good idea and it will keep your stuff frozen for many days longer than without them. The old school way was to line the bottom of your freezer with the regular or large ice cube bags from gas stations ect. Your milk jugs should work fine, the reason the ice bags were used was because they used up less volume but it sounds like you have the room anyway and your milk jugs are probably adding more ice so they should work a bit longer at keeping your stuff frozen.

Return to “Family Prep”