Dealing with picky eaters

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Dealing with picky eaters

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm

My son pretty much eats about 6 things. He is almost 7 years old. My husband is not picky but he gets food boredom? pretty quickly. He doesn't really eat leftovers. How do you deal with picky eaters? Any suggestions on how to get them to be less picky without risking starvation?
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Dealing with picky eaters

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 pm

I suspect in the PAW, that will be a self-correcting problem.

I remember my grandmother telling me about her younger brother who was a picky eater growing up. Then he was drafted, sent to Korea, and became a POW in a Chinese camp. When he eventually came back home, he ate everything that was put in front of him, gratefully.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 am

I have a lot of experience with this. Two out of my three kiddos are picky eaters and my son (who is 7 now) was so bad at one point that he was diagnosed with ARFID (Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder). And it wasn't a, "starve him out" type of thing. He was already starving himself, at failure to thrive weight, and would automatically vomit anything up that wasn't one of the 5 foods he would eat. It wasn't being bratty; it had become a literal food phobia.

First, I would check with kiddo's pediatrician and make sure he doesn't have GERD. Lots of children suffer from it silently, in particular children born premature. Boys are also more likely to have GERD as children than girls. Also, if he has any other GI issues (like chronic constipation) that needs to get addressed. Food allergies that result in GI or dermatological issues versus anaphylaxis are also important to rule out. All of of these issues can result in restrictive food habits. My son had all three.

If all of those are ruled out or even if he has some of them and still had developed strong mental blocks to foods due to GI issues, behavioral interventions can help. My son went to a feeding therapist for a while. We still use several of her tricks. Here are a few:
1) Rather than start with completely new foods, start with preferred foods in new forms. For example, we began by getting him to eat different shaped chicken nuggets or trying tater tots instead of French fries. Then, we could introduce mashed/baked potatoes after he liked tater tots.
2) Give a preferred food reward or other reward after eating a small amount of new food type. My son got to play with a toy for a couple minutes, eat one skittle, or watch a few minutes of a show between 3-5 bites.
3) Watch out for texture. Texture is huge. Start out with new foods that have a preferred texture. My kiddo likes crispy foods, so most new meats or things like that are introduced with a crispy texture.
4) Go through the senses with the first several bites of a new food. My son looks, touches, smells, and then tastes bites of new food
5) At least at the beginning, serve your kiddo a new food in whatever way they like. We've been working on brocolli with my son. He will eat it now, but only with butter, garlic, salt, and cut into tiny pieces. Eventually, I'll start moving him towards trying it different ways, but now that's the way I make it for him.

My kiddo is now at the point where he is still picky, but not dangerously so to his health. He will try a few bites of new things without any of the above interventions about half the time. Most importantly, he is growing and catching up to his peers in weight and size, although he is still a skinny britches.

It is highly likely your son isnt as bad off as mine was, but hopefully some of this info is helpful.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:25 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 pm

I remember my grandmother telling me about her younger brother who was a picky eater growing up. Then he was drafted, sent to Korea, and became a POW in a Chinese camp. When he eventually came back home, he ate everything that was put in front of him, gratefully.
Definitely

ETA
My Uncle was a POW of the Japanese in WWII. After he finally escaped, he never ate rice, maggots, boll weevils or jellyfish again for the rest of his life.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

JT42

Post by JT42 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:08 pm

(Referring to his time in Vietnam): "I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness...

trying to find it here in the states, but they just can't get the spices right."

-Seymour Skinner

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 am

there wont be any fussy eaters after SHTF ! they'll eat what their given and be grateful for it.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

colmer

Post by colmer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:35 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:

That's one good way to bent somebody's habit.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:33 am

We have one child that is slightly picky at eating and one that eats everything she is given. Fortunately for us the picky eating isn't too severe. He will gag on something he doesn't like, but nothing beyond that. With him we prepare food, if he doesn't like that food it goes into the fridge. When he states he is hungry again we reheat the same food and put it in front of him. That gets repeated until he eats it. No snacks until he puts fourth an honest effort and eats a meal. At the same time we don't just force feed him things he doesn't like to give him a more diverse palate. His also isn't an allergy or other issue because I've mixed foods he doesn't like into other foods and he doesn't mind. He hates the consistency of bananas but doesn't notice them in pancakes for example.
The future is for those who prepare.

plagaboy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland.

Post by plagaboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:44 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:

This, I've seen it here in my country, hunger always wins. Desperation can work miracles in the way people see things and their willingness to ingest them.

Return to “Family Prep”