Storing dog food

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Storing dog food

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I just got a puppy, and plan on having him around for a long time. Any idea how long dry dog food stays good in those big paper bags? Anyone keep it in another form or container?
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Squidi

Re: Storing dog food

Post by Squidi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I just got a puppy, and plan on having him around for a long time. Any idea how long dry dog food stays good in those big paper bags? Anyone keep it in another form or container?
They have expiration dates on some of the bags, but it's generally 6 months or so. I keep the bags in a metal trashcan to keep rodents from chewing on them.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:07 am

I use food grade plastic buckets that I get at the local bakery. They have nice sealing lids with O-rings.The bakery gets fillings, etc. in them. They charge $1/bucket. I've never had dog food go bad, but my very large dog goes thru it so fast that I bet I have never had a pail that was stored more than 6 months. I date and number then so I can keep them in proper rotation. They stack nicely.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

metalart

Post by metalart » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 pm

From what I have read on sites like these, the High fat/oil content makes it difficult to store these for over 6mo to a year.... again... 2nd hand info so take it as you will :)
I currently have 4 mo stored that i rotate through... need to bump it to 6.

T13

Post by T13 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:24 pm

It's best to put the bags unopened inside a food grade plastic container to preserve it longer. That can be more a challenge if you have a large dog and are purchasing massive dog food bags.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"-Hunter S. Thompson

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.-Harry S Truman

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:38 pm

I buy the 50 lb bags. Lasts about a month per bag. I usually only have one unopened bag. I just keep in on the top shelf of a rack in my shed. Never had an ant problem. The opened bag is dumped in a 35 gallon plastic garbage can with a lid and dispensed from there. Even in the AZ heat, the food in the stored bag is still oily when I open it.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I buy my dog freeze dried meat patties that have the proper diet added in. Unfortunately they only have about a 1.5 year shelf life and the ones people sell already have a few months knocked off from sitting on the shelf.

I would like to find some cooking recipies for dog food thats a good balanced diet. Small dogs its far more critical to get that perfect balance.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 am

As mentioned before the high oil/fat content would make it difficult, IMO it's do-able if sealed in a 7mil mylar bag that had been nitrogen flushed and several O2 absorbers added to the bag along with fairly large dessicant packet. It wont go rancid (oxidize) if there is no oxygen in the bag.

The critical factor would be making sure the moisture level would be below 13%. The only way to know that is to take a sample, very precisely weigh it, put it in an 200 degree oven for 5 hours, then weigh it again. After some calculation that'll tell you how much moisture is in the dog food out-of-the bag.

Or if you have some way to irradiate it after it's been sealed in the mylar bag.

You might have better luck with canned dog food. That stuff should last for many years - like Spam.

Edit: After thinking about it, that might be a way to go about it: Bake it at a relatively low heat for 5 hours so its dry as possible, then mylar bag it w/ O2 absorbers. It might take a bit of re-hydrating after its been taken back out of the bag.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

I keep one opened bag and three unopened 50 lb bags in rotation for my two dogs. This is about a three month supply for me, so I have never seen it go rancid. For very long term storage, I'm not sure what you should do, canned food would work, as others have mentioned, but would get expensive.

Dogs can eat almost anything we can with a few notable exceptions (like onions, garlic, raisins, chocolate etc.) so if you still have food for yourself after the six months of easy dry kibble storage for your dog, that is an option.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am

My dog food comes in 30 pound plastic bags, and I keep the food, once opened, in 2 5-gallon buckets with airtight tops. I keep a 2 month supply in hand, and rotate through the bags to get rid of the oldest ones first.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

aleezysam

Post by aleezysam » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 am

so here is my list i would like to have comments over this... because 3 kids is hard to determine what we need... me on my own i would take the basic but with kids i think we are scared of forgetting something...
aleezysam

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 am

My understanding is that dry food needs to breathe and that the original bag is made to allow for that.
I once got a great deal from a biz that was closing and it took 13 months to use all the food.
It seemed fine & my dogs had no ill effects. I now store about 6 months worth in original bags

BloodyCarolina

Post by BloodyCarolina » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 pm

ZMace wrote:I keep one opened bag and three unopened 50 lb bags in rotation for my two dogs. This is about a three month supply for me, so I have never seen it go rancid.
Same here. I don't keep more than that because I'm afraid it may get spoiled due to the fat content. Fortunately dogs can eat almost anything. However, my dogs are already eating food for seniors. Giving them food that's nutritionally appropriate would be a concern in case of a long-term disaster or something like that.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:51 pm

A 50 pound bag for me is about three and half months of food for my cattle dog. I would like to keep a spare on hand but current space restrictions I can't do that. She also gets spoiled like crazy. Anything that has a bone in it, she gets those. Because of her dingo nature she also scrounges like crazy outside, eats insects, wild plants, small critters. I don't think I'll worry about her starving.

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 am

The makers of the gamma seals you can use to convert 5-gallon buckets to air and watertight storage containers also make a full line of petfood and supply containers. We've got two of the stackable Vittles Vaults, one for the cat food, the other for the dog food because we got tired of roaches and ants finding their way into the other containers we had. They've been pest free for the last five or six years we've had them now and are pretty sturdy. The Petsmart in the next town had them, and I think Petco and other supply stores carry them too.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I do not know a single person who has a dog that has not had rodents get into the dog food if it was stored only in the original package.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Return to “Family Prep”