MEMA urges parents to teach preparedness

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

MEMA urges parents to teach preparedness

Post by airballrad » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 am

It's neat to see a local agency promoting this sort of planning to the general public.

REISTERSTOWN, Md. -
More than 1,300 miles removed from the destruction in Oklahoma, emergency managers in Maryland are talking tornado survival tips.

"Get inside. Get to the lowest level you possibly can. Get away from windows."

Brendan McCluskey serves as the Preparedness Director for the Maryland Emergency Management Agency or MEMA, and at a time when many parents may be tempted to shield their children from news of the deaths, which accompanied the storm, he encourages them to use this as a teaching moment.

"We tell our kids lots of things like, 'Don't talk to strangers,' but we also need to tell them about things that can potentially harm them like bad weather. So if they know what's coming, what could potentially happen to them and know what to do in those situations that could help make them safer and save lives."

While the schools routinely have drills to prepare students for emergencies, McCluskey says families need to plan ahead as well.

"They can get a kit so that if they needed to be at home for a long time, they could have a kit that would sustain them. Perhaps making a plan is one of the most critical things they can do so that they know what to do when there's a bad situation and know how to get back together with their family members."

MEMA says families also should have a means for listening to the news or official alerts warning of impending weather, and they should heed those warnings.

He points out we often have days to prepare for a hurricane, but in the event of a tornado, it may be a matter of minutes.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/state/ ... z2U28H6l2q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: MEMA urges parents to teach preparedness

Post by bacpacjac » Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 am

Brilliant!

It's tricky with young ones, because you to teach them but have to balance it out with their fear. You have to keep it fun, IMO, but there are lots of little things you can do to teach you kids progressively from a young age.

My son loved that show "The Rescue Heros" when he was a little guy. They always had a couple of good safety lessons in each episode. I've Ben away from it for a few years, and have a few years until we'll be in that demographic again, but air sure hope it's still around when my daughter is old enough for it.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm

We did all this stuff in the Cub Scouts too. It was pretty neat seeing my eight year old come up with a plan to escape the house in case of fire.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 am

Yes I did emergency planning with my Cub Scouts and Webelos. All children really should learn about what to do and the need for planning.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:48 pm

We did this in Cub Scouts as well, and as a Boy Scout we went and did this with the Cub Scouts. MEMA is doing good, we do this in all of our schools anyhow, but then we are smack center of Tornado Alley.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 pm

We did this in the Scouts where I grew up. We'd go camping about 4 times in the winter, 6 times in the summer and a few other times throughout the year that depended on the Scoutmaster's job.

He taught us a lot of preparedness and taught us about redundancy non-stop. Have a knife? Why not two? Fire starting? Have at least 3 sources. He also told us to have a bag with 2 days of clothes, at least 3 days food and a sleeping bag or at least a thick blanket, that could be put into a bag and usable to provide warmth/food for yourself until an event left.

He was a Forestry worker under the Wildland Firefighting part and taught us a lot about Fire Safety. Also was responsible for getting me certified as a Wildland Firefighter Type 2 after I became 18.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:37 pm

bacpacjac wrote:Brilliant!

It's tricky with young ones, because you to teach them but have to balance it out with their fear. You have to keep it fun, IMO, but there are lots of little things you can do to teach you kids progressively from a young age.

My son loved that show "The Rescue Heros" when he was a little guy. They always had a couple of good safety lessons in each episode. I've Ben away from it for a few years, and have a few years until we'll be in that demographic again, but air sure hope it's still around when my daughter is old enough for it.
I've seen that cartoon on the qubo channel
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Glad others are starting young. My dad taught me so much as a child that I'm still trying to remember it all, reference it with other known data, and teach it to my kids in a useable, factual manner. Dad's teachings were a bit hillbilly, and while I have nothing against hillbillies, much of it lacks scientific tie-in...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Return to “Family Prep”