Taste testing newly purchased preps

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Warbeard
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Zombieland

Taste testing newly purchased preps

Post by Warbeard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi all. New to the forums but thought I might post a review of a couple prep items we just added. Recently a local farm and home store had a sale on "Bear Creek" dehydrated mixes. We grabbed several and so far have tried the "Hot and Sour" soup mix, "Gumbo" and "Darn Good Chili". First let me say that at $2.50-3.50 a pouch these are all a pretty good deal especially if coupled with rice or pasta. Each pouch makes a half gallon. Of the 3 the Gumbo was awesome (we added some smoked sausage). The Hot and Sour soup was a hit as well though as one who enjoys HOT it lacked a little but the flavor was good. The "Darn Good Chili" may have more truthful as "Passable Bean Soup". It was bland and unlike the other two (which just require water) required a can of tomato paste as well. Well thats all for now. It's great to be here and If you guys (and gals) are interested I will post reviews of the 7-8 other varities we grabbed.

AZMedic

Re: Taste testing newly purchased preps

Post by AZMedic » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks I have always wondered how good those things were.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

We've had the Bear Vally in our rotation for quite some time now. The potato soup is fine, we jazz it up a bit with some bacon bits, and a scoop of sour cream.

The chili is a good base to start from - I use it to make my fun "Road-kill chili" - always a hit at local contests.

Thanks for putting up your take on the food. While Bear Valley is a good product, it does have a limited shelf life, the 'best if used by date' is something to note when making a purchase.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:23 pm

They make a really good product. The only one I have had trouble with is the chicken noodle -- the veggies never cooked through. I like breaking down into smaller bags for on the trail. Mixed with a protein and some filler they are good and easy meals to mix up.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 am

Babblu wrote:Yes I did emergency planning with my Cub Scouts and Webelos. All children really should learn about what to do and the need for planning.
[tangent] make sure you remind the cubs that is they are lost, it is OK to talk to strangers. several years back there was a cub aged kid who kept hiding from his would be rescuers cause they were strangers. [/tangent]

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:51 am

I've been buying Bear Creek stuff at the grocery store for a couple years. It's pretty good. The potato-leek soup is pretty darn good and is a favorite winter soup around here.

I second the idea that the chili is just bean soup.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:27 am

We tested 'Travelers Stew' from Patriot Pantry ( http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergenc ... _s/104.htm ) yesterday. Edible, but not to good. Wasn't really a stew, more like a soup. Chicken base stock, with macaroni, legumes, rice , and carrots. Very bland, but the dog liked it.

Their Creamy chicken with rice was pretty good though, we tested that last month.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Return to “Family Prep”