Greetings from Richmond, VA

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

iron_angel

Greetings from Richmond, VA

Post by iron_angel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 am

Greetings, all. Call me iron_angel, I'm a 30-something UNIX sysadmin and general nerd, formerly PO1 USN (12 years, left due to injury). I've always been interested in the idea of preparing for the worst, and after the minor debacle that followed Hurricane Irene, I'm working toward putting more of it into action. I have a little experience in a lot of areas, and tend to learn things fast. I'm pretty good at MacGyvering, and I'm a bit of a firearms enthusiast, if new to the shooting hobby. I live with and near a bunch of like-minded folk, and we're slowly trying to pull together proper preparations.

Murph

Re: Greetings from Richmond, VA

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 am

Welcome from up in NOVA.

Water, Food, and Power should be some of your first concerns. Imagine what life would be like without those three things for three days. Major suckage.

Start with covering just drinking water, 3 gal per day per person.
Then expand out from there to cover water for cooking, bathing, flushing toilets.

Food is pretty straight forward... Stock up on shelf stable foods that don't require a lot of prep. For example: canned goods, MREs, etc.

Covering your power needs is really a self assessment. For me, at the minimum I want to keep my cell phone charged, but for others they might need a generator to keep critical appliances working.

If you're think you're set, stay at home and do a trial run over a weekend were you don't use an electronics or lights, don't use anything in the fridge or freezer to make meals, and only use bottled water for everything. Fun times, but it will really help you figure things out.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am

Water and short-term food is mostly covered - there's enough to last 96 hours most likely. Water will go longer, since I've got a cache of water purification tablets, some carbon filters and multiple ways to make fire for boiling. That's mainly for drinking and cooking - I need to iron out the washing and loo flushing issue more clearly. What I've got will work for that, but it probably won't last 96 hours in that case, forcing me to use rain-gathering and such sooner. Food is more of a problem, but that's being worked on. Current rations will last 72-96 hours probably, less if we eat lightly.

Power was the real issue during Irene. We lost power during the storm, and were down for nine days, in central Henrico county. Some places in New Kent and the like were out for longer. I've got a 1.5kW generator and a fair bit of gas, enough to keep the essentials limping along, but I'd like something a bit more substantial. The current one has the advantage of being able to fit in the trunk of a Dodge Neon, however. There's also a 120W solar panel, a deep-cycle marine battery and a 600W inverter as a backup to that, but my roommates and I are still trying to dig up a charge controller and inverter to use with the solar panel so we can get useful 120V output.

All this is well and good, but right now, we're not kitted for either an extended bug-in, or organized to quickly get the heck out. Most current preps of ours are predicated on the notion of weathering something minor for the two to five days while the public works people glue everything back together. We're nearly ready for another Hurricane Irene, but certainly not ready for the zombocalypse :)

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

Gotta start somewhere, and it sounds like you're doing good so far. :)
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Welcome fellow Richmonder, from what direction of the River City to you hail ??
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Last Knight
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Last Knight » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 am

Welcome to the struggle. :)
"The population is greatly decreased
Which means my odds are greatly increased
That I'll someday get the chance
To kiss your lips
I thank the Lo~rd each day
For the Apocalypse..."

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:Welcome fellow Richmonder, from what direction of the River City to you hail ??
I'm in the northeast corner of Chesterfield County right now. Hopefully that holds for an extended period - I'm getting a bit tired of hopping around!

And Last Knight - not too common to run into another MSC sailor. I was on the USNS Sirius (T-AFS 8) from '03-'05, meself.

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:24 pm

iron_angel wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:Welcome fellow Richmonder, from what direction of the River City to you hail ??
I'm in the northeast corner of Chesterfield County right now. Hopefully that holds for an extended period - I'm getting a bit tired of hopping around!

Awesome, we have a few like-minded in this area, just a matter of getting people together.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Last Knight
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Last Knight » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 am

iron_angel wrote:And Last Knight - not too common to run into another MSC sailor. I was on the USNS Sirius (T-AFS 8) from '03-'05, meself.
There's only about 5,000 of us around the world, so I guess we're pretty rare overall. :) Still, we're around...

..and we deliver! :rofl:
"The population is greatly decreased
Which means my odds are greatly increased
That I'll someday get the chance
To kiss your lips
I thank the Lo~rd each day
For the Apocalypse..."

Xale D

Post by Xale D » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 am

Salutations from 15 miles North of Lake Anna!
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Welcome from WV, your friendly backwoods neighbor :crazy:

We've got a good group in this area. Check out our chapter page for events - we usually have a few a year.

Also, so far your posts are pretty darn good! Thanks for being someone who posts concise, educated responses to topics.

Return to “Introductions”