another newbie from Tucson, AZ :)

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

another newbie from Tucson, AZ :)

Post by Y.T. » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:43 pm

I normally don't do the intro threads because I figure with hundreds or thousands of people on a forum no one really has time to read them, let alone remember who = what. ;) But someone suggested it so I thought I'd be a good ZS member and oblige.

I've been working on preparing for the zombie apocalypse, etc. for almost a year now. I'm a burner, lived in the effing target that is NYC for years (in the words of Tina Fey: "Bitch, I can't be any more alert!") and generally can keep my head in crisis situations. But after watching 28 Weeks Later with some friends last year and sitting there rabbit-eyed the whole time thinking "I'd SO be zombie food... seriously, right there... yep, I'd be eaten... " I realized I was so very not ready for the big boom to happen. ;) Particularly when I also realized most of my friends are much more skilled than I so in a crisis situation I'd be the first voted for zombie fodder.

Growing up with suburban parents, followed by years of desk jobs and city living as an adult has meant there are some basic things I never learned. Like how to handle weapons, how to make a successful fire, medical emergencies, foraging and hunting/trapping. However, if there's a world crisis requiring someone to cover everyone in sassy glitter makeup, sew them hot faux fur threads, then fit them all in a tiny space, organized alphabetically and by size, while recognizing visual and social patterns... I'm totally your go-to babe. ;)

For anyone interested, this has been my progress thus far...
(the rest of you can just skip this) ;)

SKILLS
I have some health challenges that make some of the survival education a bit slow going, either due to physical limitations or budget issues. For example, it's not very realistic for me to take one of those weekend bootcamp-level, drop-you-on-an-island-with-a-penknife, mountain-men kinda courses. But I've been slowly and steadily learning more and working on new skills.

I've been reading through one of the army manuals (trying to get my hands on the FM-90, specifically for desert), reading through forums, talking to friends. Fortunately I have a network of staggeringly knowledgeable friends with a huge variety of skills that I can mooch some brain goods from. ;)

I've been trying to prioritize the skills to learn:
  • - First is the basics of food, water, shelter and fire (all of which have their own challenges in AZ).
    - Second is medical treatment.
    - Third is weapons (guns and knives, though I am a huge fan of the flaming arrows & crossbow... which seems to go unappreciated by the more practical friends). ;)
    - Forth is unplugged/off-the-grid skills like soap making, farming, blacksmithing, mechanics, etc.
I've touched on 1-3 already, gotten some basics or some experience. But I now need to either put them in practical use or do another more in-depth pass. I've put #4 as last on the list because those are skills that are needed for a more permanent post-apoc kinda situation. I think that realistically (a) most emergencies will be of the short-term kind that don't result in the total collapse of the society, and (b) if everything goes to hell I'll be able to pick up those things by the time they're actually needed.

BAGS
I'm in the process of making 2 BOB: one for short term (1-3 days), one for longer term.
With those I'm trying to plan around the possibilities of both having a vehicle and being limited to walking or biking only... and what that means in terms of carrying weight. Being in the desert means having to carry water, which is not only heavy but also runs out quickly (particularly for me because I dehydrate easily). Vehicle evac isn't a problem because I can bring about 11 gallons with me (those awesome large blue containers). But walk/bike evac means I need to figure out how to refill along the way (more than just dew collecting).

I don't have the funds for a fancy awesome internal frame hiker's backpack with built-in hydration system, so meanwhile I'm converting a regular backpack I got from a thrift store (like new, $5, yay!). I've sewed some D-rings on the outside to hold bottles or strap on a sleeping bag. I've sewed on a waist strap for support. And I'm cutting up an discarded car seat cover (cordura type stuff) to make a double pocket for water bladders on the inside. Right now the interim plan is to grab my camelbak and wear it under the regular back pack (they actually stack well like that) so I can bring 1-2 bladders of water along with other gear that won't fit in the camelbak (clothes, food and stuff).

GEAR
I have most of the basic gear needed for a bug-out, but much of it is used periodically for camping or outings so it's continually being picked through and resorted. Not ideal since it means in an evac situation I'd be running around collecting items from various places. So I'm steadily working towards duplicating some items so I can keep them designated just for a go bag or emergency stash. I've also been grouping gear in related groups (cooking stuff, powered stuff, shelter stuff, etc.) and trying to figure out a box or bag system for those to make them more grab-n-go.

There are a few things on my list to get, but most are improvements (like getting a rocket stove for foot/bike evac, not just relying on the gas camping stove; or a backpack tent instead of the cabin tent) and those can wait until other necessities are taken care of.

PLANS
I'm also working on various bug out plans:
  • - staying at home
    - car evacuation
    - foot/bike evacuation
    - local evac (out of immediate area, but still in or near city limits)
    - full evac (leaving the state)
and trying to plan out the best routes if local or full evacuation is needed. There are really only 3 ways out of the city, so we're still trying to figure out alternatives to lessen the chance of being trapped in traffic and/or having to abandon the vehicle. Also trying to plan which direction is best for which kind of problem.

I've shifted my purchasing habits to try to keep a month's worth of food, T.P., extra meds and such stored (which is a challenge in my teeeeeny apt.), as opposed to my previous habit of just buying enough for the month and replacing what runs out. In hopes that I'm not caught with just 2 jars of pickles and a handful of tissues because zombies invaded at the end of the month before payday and I hadn't made it to the grocery store yet. ;)

...so that's my deal. ;)

(EDITS: oops. fixed some wonky spelling)
Last edited by Y.T. on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Re: another newbie from Tucson, AZ :)

Post by Y.T. » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:45 pm

oh, and I can't remember how I found out about you guys. It was around the time that I was first starting the survival kick. Somehow one interweb link led me to another. My bf may have tipped me off, or I may have found it on my own.

yeah, that's vague enough to be helpful, right? ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 pm

That is one hell of an intro. Greetings and Welcome aboard.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:52 pm

That is one thorough intro indeed.

Welcome and have a great time, Y.T.

Check you later,
Bob
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Welcome to the forums, from the Phx-Metro area. There's a formiddable contingent of us ZS'ers up here.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Flea
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Flea » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Welcome aboard!

TimberWolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anyone where people die!

Post by TimberWolf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Your bug out plans should always include a stay in the mountains, Remember Zombies might, and have been known to freeze at very high temps.

JägerZ

Post by JägerZ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Welcome form another Tucsonan!
"Running isn't a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails!" - E. Bassett
"My mommy always said there were no monsters, no real ones, but there are."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Y.T. eh?

Where's your crazy skateboard? 8)
TimberWolf wrote:Your bug out plans should always include a stay in the mountains, Remember Zombies might, and have been known to freeze at very high temps.
You've never been to Tuscon have you?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 am

thanks for the Hellos. :)

Molon Labe, glad to hear there are a bunch of zombie-ready folks in phx. :) I used to go up there a few times a month to visit friends, but unfortunately gas prices have kept me local.

Timberwold, I'm guessing you meant high altitudes not high temps. Yeah and they move slower when they're frozen. makes 'em easier to hit. Plus, hey, who doesn't love zombie popsicles? ;)

Czechnology, I left the skateboard at Enzo's. bonus points for you. ;) you got a fallout shelter for that nuke magnet you live in?

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:14 am

Only pussies bug out to AZ.

YT, we might have to start getting along, you are near my BOL
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:37 am

DocSimon,
(1) true. there are many cats here. they seem better suited for the environment than the dogs.
(2) when were we not getting along?
:)

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 am

Y.T. wrote:DocSimon,
(1) true. there are many cats here. they seem better suited for the environment than the dogs.
(2) when were we not getting along?
:)
More importantly.... Have you started your FAK yet? What are your plans for it?
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:06 am

Welcome. Nice to see a lady on this board and in Tucson. If I can be of assistance just ask, especially bought guns.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 am

Y.T. wrote: Czechnology, I left the skateboard at Enzo's. bonus points for you. ;) you got a fallout shelter for that nuke magnet you live in?
Nope, I'm selling the Deliverator and getting the hell away from here this summer. Not to San Francisco though, I hear the bridge is full up. I'm aiming one state north.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Doc Simon wrote:More importantly.... Have you started your FAK yet? What are your plans for it?
yes, thanks for asking. :) between my bf and I we have a decent FAK set up with the usual things (bandages, antiseptic/sterilizer, pain/fever reducer, tape...) and some helpful OTC things:
  • - sinus meds (allergy, congestion, cold/flu)
    - neosporin/polysporin (antibiotic/anti-baterial)
    - hydrocortisone cream (inflammation, irritation)
    - Benadryl (allergic reactions, stings, bites)
    - Imodium tablets (anti-diarrhea)
    - eye drops (moisturizing)
    - Stye ointment
    - moleskin
    - crazy glue (for cuts)
    - throat lozenges
    - shea butter (great healer, especially for burns)
Plus a few prescription items that need to be restocked: stimulants, sedatives, UTI anesthetic and antibiotic, skin creams. We need to look at our snakebite kit. I can't remember if we have something current or medieval.

but I'd like to look at adding some specifics....

perhaps a small secondary bag for the bulkier things:
  • - more gauze rolls to allow for bandage changes over several days
    - more ace bandage-like wraps, the self-cling kind (good for supporting injured knees, also make a simple shoulder sling)
    - crush-and-use ice packs
    - single-use heat pads

I'd like to also add athletes foot/jock itch/monostat treatment. I recently read that those may all be basically the same thing in terms of ingredients, or at least 2 out of 3 are, so a single tube may work magic. I have to look into it, but it would be helpful to have something that takes care of multiple things. A lot of walking in hot weather can cause fungal problems and any small thing that strains your body's defenses is still significant IMO. And they tend to get worse in the less-than-ideal settings of SHTF situations.

and I need to investigate usefulness, shelf life and method of acquiring the following:
  • - radiation medicine: potassium iodide, IOSAT
    - activated charcoal (anti-poison)
    - tetracycline (tick, flea, louse bite diseases)
    - erythromycin (fly bite diseases)
    - antibiotics (what kinds would be most beneficial)
    - acidophilis (combine with antibiotics, I already have this)
    - Nitazoxanide (treats diarrhea caused by cryptosporidium)
EDIT: I realized there's a bunch of stuff in my FAK that I didn't actually list. Like super tweezers, latex gloves, scissors, lip balm. the list above isn't comprehensive. :)
Last edited by Y.T. on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Welcome. Nice to see a lady on this board and in Tucson. If I can be of assistance just ask, especially bought guns.
Thanks! I'm still in the process of learning how to handle various types of guns, so it'll likely be awhile before I'm actually ready to consider buying one. :)

Army_Grunt
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead (1990)
Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Army_Grunt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Y.T. wrote:
Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Welcome. Nice to see a lady on this board and in Tucson. If I can be of assistance just ask, especially bought guns.
Thanks! I'm still in the process of learning how to handle various types of guns, so it'll likely be awhile before I'm actually ready to consider buying one. :)
Welcome fellow Arizonan, just so you know if a ZPAW ever came up i will be posting direction for all Arizonans to my neighborhood its safe from a zpaw situation and its full of active air force personnel and reserve component soldiers of every branch. Were right next to luke airforce base and my reserve unit will be right down the road from here by this time next year, were moving it from phoenix out here to buckeye. Theres only one subdivision here and theres no other subdivisions for at least 10 miles in every direction, So were talking little to no zombies due to the are being vastly uninhabited, and its centralized were only about 35 minutes west of phoenix. I figure the first few days of the ZPAW i'll be roaming my neighborhood in uniform with my m16 looking for zoms, and going door to door and getting sitreps on how everyone is doing, theres a wallmart about 5 miles from here so i figure thats going to be the main problem, once my neighborhood gets organized i figure we can find out who wants to go down there and clean out some zoms and collect goods. I dont want to drag this out but pretty much I'm almost sure this neighborhood will be safe so dont forget if your in trouble to check the zs forums i might be on here posting directions for you guys.

Buying a weapon would be a good idea 22. caliber rifles are cheap you can buy a used one for 70 bucks and the ammo is about 13 dollars for a thousand bullets. If your looking for a bigger caliber and your not looking to spend money try very old revolvers they are reliable, easy to maintain, easy to use, and cheap, cabelas sells them cheap or you can try backpage.com.

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Nice intro, looks like you've got the idea, welcome aboard.
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

<19:15>[BeerandGun]: no guys, no glory

I helped warm manbath at ZCon '08!
I got new tan lines at ZCon '09
ZCon '010 was a humidor

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks, Army_Grunt. good to know to check here for info. sounds like you have a plan. :)

and clue a girl in here... how does that whole military mixing with civilians thing work in such a scenario as you've described? Knowing very little about military operations I would think that having an influx of civilian refugees, so to speak, flooding a military neighborhood would make them quite anxious. I would also think that any military personnel would be obligated to designated duties, leaving them less able to roam around as you've suggested. And how do military personnel handle something like the Walmart issue (where civs may be holed up for protection or just chaotically looting), while still trying to protect those same people? These are the kinds of things I'm never clear on. It hadn't occurred to me until just now that I should ask these questions of the several ex-military friends I know.

and thanks for the tips re: guns. I'm making myself learn about them and practice shooting so that I'll know what to do if someone hands me a gun in an emergency, or I need to take up arms to defend myself in an extreme situation. Fortunately I have several friends who are knowledgeable and can help. Honestly though, I'm not much of a gun person. I'm not a big fan of casual gun use and I got really kinda bored just shooting things. I enjoy things like archery and hand weapons more, things that are more visceral. But since those require more strength than I currently have it makes more sense for me to focus on guns in terms of defense weaponry.

P.S. - check you out with the punctuation and line breaks and everything. ;)

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Hawk wrote:Nice intro, looks like you've got the idea, welcome aboard.
thanks, Hawk! :)

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Czechnology wrote:Nope, I'm selling the Deliverator and getting the hell away from here this summer. Not to San Francisco though, I hear the bridge is full up. I'm aiming one state north.
smart choice. I hear Portland rocks. :)

Army_Grunt
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead (1990)
Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Army_Grunt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Y.T. wrote:Thanks, Army_Grunt. good to know to check here for info. sounds like you have a plan. :)

and clue a girl in here... how does that whole military mixing with civilians thing work in such a scenario as you've described? Knowing very little about military operations I would think that having an influx of civilian refugees, so to speak, flooding a military neighborhood would make them quite anxious. I would also think that any military personnel would be obligated to designated duties, leaving them less able to roam around as you've suggested. And how do military personnel handle something like the Walmart issue (where civs may be holed up for protection or just chaotically looting), while still trying to protect those same people? These are the kinds of things I'm never clear on. It hadn't occurred to me until just now that I should ask these questions of the several ex-military friends I know.

and thanks for the tips re: guns. I'm making myself learn about them and practice shooting so that I'll know what to do if someone hands me a gun in an emergency, or I need to take up arms to defend myself in an extreme situation. Fortunately I have several friends who are knowledgeable and can help. Honestly though, I'm not much of a gun person. I'm not a big fan of casual gun use and I got really kinda bored just shooting things. I enjoy things like archery and hand weapons more, things that are more visceral. But since those require more strength than I currently have it makes more sense for me to focus on guns in terms of defense weaponry.

P.S. - check you out with the punctuation and line breaks and everything. ;)

Ha ha with the punctuation I'm just trying to get people to stop bitching.

And with the military thing in a ZPAW situation well it all depends on what happens, I've thought about this a lot and if enough of the chain of command guys get eaten the military will fall apart, i mean there will be some rogue units that I'm sure will just suit up and head but for the most part communication will be horrible, for a unit to deploy it takes about a year of planning and preperation. And yeah we kick ass when we deploy but i don't know if in a ZPAW it would work im actually leaning toward the idea that its not going to. But with a neighborhood like mine I'll be the authority so I'll be accepting anyone who has weapons and provisions for themselves or anyone who has a skill, no free loaders, maybe at a later date once we have secured enough goods and got more organized we can start helping others but the first few weeks its going to be those who can help themselves that get help. I plan on knocking on doors and pulling everyone out who has weapons and can fight and if i don't get a response there getting there doors blown off the fucking hinges and im going in to secure there goods. I'm not saying stealing i'm saying these people are already dead because they bugged out to wall mart and got eaten so i might as well eat there food or give it away to someone else who's alive and has none.

And the wall mart situation would be too easy it would take about 40 people maybe less. I say 40 because thats an easy number to manage, and you can break 40 down into 4 squads of 10. First off you send the first squad on Recon and have them bring back a sitrep (situational report) once they get back I plan accordingly, but if they say It looks like theres maybe 200+ walkers and an unknown number inside then its on like donkey kong. You mount up into a convoy 5-10 vehicles preferable vans or trucks so they can carry 10 plus. Head in fast and hard killing everything your way you make a defensive perimeter with the vehicles in the parking lot you post 2 squads on permiter they pretty make sure no zoms follow anyone into the wall mart then you send two teams to raid the wall mart. The SOP (standard operating procedure) will be fire on all undead life forms, fire on civilians if they are bitten or hostile, stay alive, dont shoot friendlys. The two raid squads secure the inside of wall mart, then leave one squad on internal security, designate one squad to grab all valuables and secure them in the vehicles, while leaving the 2 other squads outside, finish up, evac, head out. The whole thing could be done with in maybe 20 minutes.

DryGrain

Post by DryGrain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:23 pm

.... :shock:

way to hijack the intro thread, soldier-boy
Gerry Agnosia wrote:Zombie Squad: A lot of us are losers. Shut up.
Valarius wrote:War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength. Cake is Pie.
SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

Return to “Introductions”