He's back, and baking in the desert!

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BlackBear

He's back, and baking in the desert!

Post by BlackBear » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:53 pm

When last our intrepid wanderer appeared, he spent a woefully underprepared night on Katahdin, Maine's highest mountain. In the time since then, he finished his law firm gig, trained as a mechanic, packed his family into a 1976 motorhome and a Subaru, and moved to the middle of nowhere high desert in Northwest Arizona, about 100 miles outside of Vegas.

"I don't know what I was thinking; bears don't belong in the desert," BlackBear muses, sweat pouring off his forehead as the thermometer hits 115° in the kitchen - not because of any appliance, just from roasting in the unrelenting sun. "I used to think wind was a blessing when it was warm. When it's this hot, it's like having a hair dryer blasting straight into your face."

He shows us around the yard, with the many projects in progress. His obvious pride is the giant hole in the front yard, which will soon house his walipini, an underground greenhouse/root cellar storage area; he hopes to use this area too for such temperature-sensitive projects as homebrewing. He has a sturdy solar setup with an upcycled refrigerator as an insulated battery bank storage area, and plans to upgrade the solar panels on a sun-tracking tilt system soon. "I just have to get some cabling for stability, the winds out here get ferocious with nothing to slow them down," he says, gesturing to the landscape with sparse desert growth for miles around, the tallest of "trees" being greasewood scrub maybe two meters. On the other corner of the property is a forge, with piles of metal and wood all around; eventually this is intended to be a shop area.

"It feels good to try and get back in the community" he says of returning to Zombie Squad. "The knowledge I found here, or through knowledgeable resources found here, has been instrumental in enabling my off-grid living. It takes no small amount of knowledge to wire up your own solar system, for instance. Now that my life has stabilized and I've been able to take large steps towards physically being able to start my preparedness, I'm hoping to get back to learning and maybe help give people some practical advice from what I've learned living here the last few years."

BlackBear network, reporting from Arizona.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: He's back, and baking in the desert!

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Well, that is just an epic update! :clap: Welcome back Blackbear!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:16 pm

:rofl: :clap:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:11 am

Grand (re) entrance! Welcome back!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:22 am

Y'all might want to update your location in your profile then. :D
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Rough territory, that. I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences there. :clap:
Tony D Tiger

Return to “Introductions”