New O.F. here

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

demonskull

New O.F. here

Post by demonskull » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Afternoon folks:

New to this forum. I'm a looong time blade collector. I have about 35 swords (mostly Euros), 20 axes (various styles), a dozen spears, machetes, 5 bows and 100 arrows, 3 war hammers, and about 100 knives of various shapes and sizes. My dad was an avid gun collector, competition shooter and as we had an abundance of firearms in the house, I was taught to shoot and had firearms safety instilled in me at the age of 4. I don't shoot often as I live in a suburban area without a lot of shooting options. I only own one firearm, a Mossberg 500 ATS in 12ga.

I have been stranded several times in snowstorms and the first time I was totally unprepared. I was wearing only sneakers, jeans, a tee shirt and an unlined denim jacket. There was nothing usable in the car so I just started walking to keep warm. 9 hours later the snow had resided enough that I could get the car back to my parents house 20 miles away.

I learned my lesson and always keep a kit in the car with extra clothes, blankets, fire-starting equipment, food, water, cooking equipment, first aid and a number of tool: hatchet, knife, rope, backpack, water carriers, water purification (Sawyer mini) and plastic garbage bags and tape. The plastic bags can be used in a number of ways: poncho, stuffed as a mattress or cut and taped into a tarp. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

In the house everything is duplicated and then some. The first aid kit contains all the normal plus a small surgical kit.

Looks like a fun place to hang out.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Re: New O.F. here

Post by Lettuce Pray » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 am

Glad to have you! We are always looking for new voices to both contribute and hang out.
Last edited by Lettuce Pray on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:25 am

Welcome to Zombie Squad. That's quite a blade addiction you have there. Something none of here on these forums can possibly relate to. At all. No siree. Just one knife is all any of us ever need ...

If you can only have one gun, that Mossberg 500 is definitely on the short list as one of the best to have. Especially in a suburban setting.

I imagine being caught unprepared is how a lot of us got our start in prepping. Sounds like that car kit serves multiple roles for you as a stranded motorist kit, get home bag and possibly a bug out bag. That's definitely how I see the 3-day kit I keep in my car.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Welcome! You sound like a good fit here!

So you pretty well know we discuss a lot of prepping, as well as zombies and the rest. What do you see yourself prepping for? Just general crazy world stuff? Virus stuff? Economic stuff? Something else?

And I agree that a Mossberg 500 is one of the better choices for a SHTF gun. I think a pistol would be a good "next step" for anyone who already has a decent supply of ammo and good training with the shotgun. Just my opinion though. Oh, and "after all the other prepping bases are covered for a week or two of living." :)

What is your preferred sword? What is your favorite axe?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Welcome! How did you find us? (google, etc?)

demonskull

Post by demonskull » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:01 pm

First, Thanks for the Welcome

My car kit will give me a several day supply of food and water.
I keep slugs, 4 and 8 shot shells for the Mossberg. Gives me enough of a variety for most possibilities. I also have a Benjamin 5mm pump air gun which will quietly take out most small mammals and birds.
As far as what I prepare for: economic collapse, natural or unnatural disaster. I do have 250 ounces of silver stashed away just in case.
I'm a member of a survival forum along with several blade forums but the survival one is way too political. So I figured I'd look for something a little lighter.
As far as my preferred sword, a arming sword, light short enough for inside a building/alley and long enough to put out some serious hurt. It can easily be used with a buckler, shield or off hand weapon. For an axe I prefer a hand axe: Viking or tomahawk. My personal favorite is my Ron Wilson tomahawk I picked up in 78 or 79 at the 2nd New York Custom Knife Show.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 am

Is your Benjamin the 397? That always struck me as a good post SHTF tool for hunting small game. Basically a PCP with it's own air pump built in. There's a very substantial thread here on airguns. It might be in the "Other weapons" subforum.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Welcome to the Party!! Some of the best information on all the internet is located on this site.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

demonskull

Post by demonskull » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 am
Is your Benjamin the 397? That always struck me as a good post SHTF tool for hunting small game. Basically a PCP with it's own air pump built in. There's a very substantial thread here on airguns. It might be in the "Other weapons" subforum.
I don't see any markings on it but it's a least 40 years old. It's very solid, compression is still great and it shoots very accurately.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 am

demonskull wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 am
I don't see any markings on it but it's a least 40 years old. It's very solid, compression is still great and it shoots very accurately.
Sounds like something you can pass on to your children, then. Somewhere out there there's likely a YT video on how to change/maintain the seals on your particular model. Viewing that and obtaining some replacement seals would probably be a wise investment.

A lot of us at ZS own airguns in addition to (or in place of) real firearms. A quality airgun is no toy, and many of us strongly believe they will make excellent post SHTF survival tools, especially in calibers .22 and up. Putting food on the table and pest control first, personal defense a distant second. And if nothing else, they're an excellent marksmanship training tool that conserves precious ammunition while you and other survivors develop/maintain proficiency with firearms. Just make sure you lay in a good supply of pellets. I've found the Crosman Premiers are a very good compromise between quality and affordability. RWS are more expensive but have an established reputation for quality and consistency.

demonskull

Post by demonskull » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am

I oil the seals every once in a while so they haven't deteriorated.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am

demonskull wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am
Better to use silicon lube on rubber seals on air guns. It also protects any metal from rust. Petroleum based Oil isn't great for rubber seals, and is terrible for silicone seals. Pellgun Oil or RMCOIL is silicone, use that. https://www.crosman.com/airguns/airgun- ... ies/rmcoil

A while ago bought a non working VPP, variable pneumatic pump, at a garage sale that wouldn't hold pressure. A couple of drops of lube and it worked like a charm. PRO TIP: Store your VPP's with a one pump charge in the cylinder.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

demonskull

Post by demonskull » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:57 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am
demonskull wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am
Better to use silicon lube on rubber seals on air guns. It also protects any metal from rust. Petroleum based Oil isn't great for rubber seals, and is terrible for silicone seals. Pellgun Oil or RMCOIL is silicone, use that. https://www.crosman.com/airguns/airgun- ... ies/rmcoil

A while ago bought a non working VPP, variable pneumatic pump, at a garage sale that wouldn't hold pressure. A couple of drops of lube and it worked like a charm. PRO TIP: Store your VPP's with a one pump charge in the cylinder.
I've been using oil. I'll give silicon a try and I always leave a single pump in the cylinder. Thanks !

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am

Regular oil in my Beeman break barrel actually ignites and sends the pellet supersonic. When it does that its about as loud as my .22!

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am
Regular oil in my Beeman break barrel actually ignites and sends the pellet supersonic. When it does that its about as loud as my .22!
That's seriously interesting.
I wonder what a drop of diesel fuel in the cup of a pellet would do? :mrgreen: Only need 234psi to ignite it.
My break barrel is supposed to be 1200fps, but the spring action is louder than the SS crack so I can't really hear that. I need a nitro piston BrBl.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:14 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 am
majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am
That's seriously interesting.
I wonder what a drop of diesel fuel in the cup of a pellet would do? :mrgreen: Only need 234psi to ignite it.
My break barrel is supposed to be 1200fps, but the spring action is louder than the SS crack so I can't really hear that. I need a nitro piston BrBl.
In fact the phenomenon is called 'dieseling'.

Return to “Introductions”