Search found 473 matches

by claren
Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: New TQ based on Zip Ties
Replies: 20
Views: 3578

Re: New TQ based on Zip Ties

A belt still works good enough, and if you don't have one you can find them at thrift stores for a couple bucks. This statement is fail. Absolute fail. If you don't like the looks of this tourniquet, fair enough. If you think it's a ripoff, your call. But do not state that a belt will make a good T...
by claren
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:16 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: What training and certs do you have and maintain.
Replies: 62
Views: 4232

Re: What training and certs do you have and maintain.

ACLS
PHTLS
PALS
Wilderness-EMT from NOLS

and as of today...

NREMT-P
, son ! w00t and whatnot.
by claren
Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:51 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

RS AKM mount work because my gun doesn't have a side rail mount. The dog leg I am pretty skeptical of, I learned the hard way that retaining zero with top cover rail mounts doesn't work very well. Thankfully it wasn't an expensive lesson. Installing a side rail mount is cake for a competent gunsmit...
by claren
Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

Generally negative shit Damn. It was such a cute "solution", I really wanted it to work. That Scout Scopes mount looks promising, though. And the TWS dogleg is something that I've been eyeing but again, I think I'll wait for others to do my beta testing before I throw down the coin. EDIT: I went lo...
by claren
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 am
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?
Replies: 24
Views: 1231

Re: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?

... According the pharmacology textbook I purchased for my Pathophysiology/Pharmacology class, (Introduction to Pharmacology, 11th edition)... Secondary and Tertiary sources, while useful, are not exactly at the same level with primary sources like a double blind study. At least, not if you don't l...
by claren
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?
Replies: 24
Views: 1231

Re: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?

Hey all, totally new to this forum, but thought I spread some helpful info... Welcome to the forum! From the rest of your post, you sound like a fellow professional with loads to contribute. You should make an intro post over in the "Introductions" forum so we know your background and qualification...
by claren
Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 am
Forum: First Aid
Topic: What training and certs do you have and maintain.
Replies: 62
Views: 4232

Re: What training and certs do you have and maintain.

crypto wrote: People who do this professionally never seem to understand the delineation there...
Ahem. -Some- of us are aware that "lay rescuer" does not equal "hopeless child", and stand up for y'all accordingly.
by claren
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Nasopharyngeal Tubes use???
Replies: 19
Views: 2058

Re: Nasopharyngeal Tubes use???

Also I think it is much harder to guesstimate the propper size of an Opa than it is to guess at a Opa, it either fits in the hole or it dont, just a thought. Your post doesn't make it clear which one you are referring to, OPA or NPA. Either way, for an OPA the "corner of the mouth to the head of th...
by claren
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:20 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Multi-Use Medications & Other Multi-Use Items ???
Replies: 96
Views: 8547

Re: Multi-Use Medications & Other Multi-Use Items ???

Colloidal silver is much like bleach, in that it is verifiably effective at killing many types of micro-organisms. However, that doesn't automatically make it good -Medicine-.
by claren
Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:51 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: What training and certs do you have and maintain.
Replies: 62
Views: 4232

Re: What training and certs do you have and maintain.

Edited to add, the only two certs I have are BLS and PharmD. In my normal line of work, "don't touch the patients" is a good rule of thumb to follow. I consider your PharmD a "cert" the same way that I consider Alpha Centauri "relatively" close to Earth as compared to the galactic center; a major f...
by claren
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

Don't forget to slap it around a lot and make sure it holds zero. What optic are y'all gonna use ?
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?
Replies: 24
Views: 1231

Re: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?

Drying in the sun on the clothesline or perhaps on the porch behind a pane of glass? Not touching it of course. Would it be better on the line without the glass? I was thinking of pollen or flying critters. Just about every variety of glass is gonna screen out the vast majority of UV radiation. Not...
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 pm
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

praharin wrote:The LaRue IronDot was discontinued because it was plagued with problems. It may have been entirely because of the optic itself, but I think that the design has some problems.
All the issues I had heard of revolved around the Fastfire being a mediocre optic.
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

Einherjrar wrote:My thoughts concern the reliability of the mount holding zero...
Yes, that -is- the question. I hope it does, cause it is cute as a peach.
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 am
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?
Replies: 24
Views: 1231

Re: Washable diapers as bandages for the PAW?

No one is answering the question, even to say they have no idea... so I should like to rephrase it. How would you sterilize something for that first layer next to the wound? In Katrina-type/PAW conditions ? Boiling would probably be your best option. Boil your makeshift dressings for a while, dump ...
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:33 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

Re: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

if you shop around you can find an Ultimak for that price, but if you have some beef with ultimaks this is defiantly one of the better alternatives I've seen. The ultimak is great if you like it, but not everyone wants their optic that far forward. P.S.... The T1 is an option and you're suggesting ...
by claren
Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: New super low-profile optic solution for the AK
Replies: 57
Views: 5355

New super low-profile optic solution for the AK

This thing looks pretty neat. http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you slapped a Trijicon RMR on there, it'd be like a Larue Irondot (which is now discontinued anyways) with a better quality optic....
by claren
Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 pm
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: Presschecking and knowing your gear.
Replies: 53
Views: 3245

Re: Presschecking and knowing your gear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is getting over-thunk just a bit. Anyone lose a digit pinch checking? Close calls? Actually, people -have- lost fingers. This is not unheard of. To me, this sums it up. I just don't see what advantage that method could possibly offer that justifies the incr...
by claren
Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: Presschecking and knowing your gear.
Replies: 53
Views: 3245

Re: Presschecking and knowing your gear.

I just don't see what advantage that method could possibly offer that justifies the increased safety risk, however minor. That's because there is none. Hey, I check my sight picture on the TV like everyone else! But I pinch my G35's, largely because that's the easiest way for me to reset the trigge...
by claren
Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am
Forum: Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles
Topic: Favorite AR Upper Receiver
Replies: 34
Views: 2291

Re: Favorite AR Upper Receiver

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Other then looking pretty rad, what does the MUR do that a regular upper won't?
I like the fact that I can get one without a forward assist, and shave a few OZ off.
by claren
Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 am
Forum: General Firearms Discussion
Topic: Presschecking and knowing your gear.
Replies: 53
Views: 3245

Re: Presschecking and knowing your gear.

I disagree with the narrator in the first video saying that's stupid, as my forefinger is not over the muzzle. Until it is. This is probably the most dangerous way possible to presscheck; fingers near the muzzle, another in the trigger-guard. They cut these into the -back- of the slide for a reason...
by claren
Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 am
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Idea for FAK threads
Replies: 26
Views: 4266

Re: Idea for FAK threads

Pushing meds and other advanced skills obviously require advanced training and education, but as stated before, the supersexy high-speed EMS stuff isn't necessarily what's going to save the person. Folks who work in the field are generally aware of this, but it should be repeated for the non-medica...
by claren
Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 am
Forum: First Aid
Topic: ZSC-001 Mock Disaster AAR area
Replies: 26
Views: 2196

Re: ZSC-001 Mock Disaster AAR area

How fun !! I am stupidly envious. I haven't gotten to do a simulated, moulaged MCI in a very long time. Y'all are very lucky to have a guy like Kevin (forum name?) to co-ordinate and execute with y'all. Excellent idea to rotate folks in and out of the "observer" position. It is very easy to get tunn...
by claren
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:24 pm
Forum: First Aid
Topic: Vodage's Kit-In-Progress
Replies: 23
Views: 1673

Re: Vodage's Kit-In-Progress

texast wrote:I find myself constantly learning more and finding more that I need to buy / learn. If this is to be done right, we NEVER stop learning... or buying ! :)
You never stop learning.

Nice to see a fellow Texan in here. You should make an intro post over in Introductions; lots of us from TX here.

Go to advanced search